Author Topic: hello from the midlands  (Read 276 times)

Offline aquitaine

• Newcomer
hello from the midlands
« on: May 14, 2020, 06:21:34 PM »
hello all.my last rd was a yellow ham-yam around 77/78 from chris vincents  in earl shilton leics .he had mine and a steve baker brown one ,looking to get another rd looking for any help in what to buy and where from have rode since then and now own a 1400 gtr (sorry !) .looking for a sunday bike not fussed on cc size is there any to avoid as not very good with spanners !! .thanks for any help ride and keep safe

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: hello from the midlands
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 06:58:51 PM »
Welcome!

Given your requirements, best value is probably to be found in a well sorted RD250, coffin tank model. Physically big enough for comfort, won't be working it too hard on the A roads and maybe not too overpriced.

Others will chime in, I'm sure! :D :D :D

Alan   
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) now being reassembled
Yam AS3 in boxes

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 07:26:40 PM »
Welcome to the Forum
As Alan has already suggested a RD250 is probably best as it is less expensive than the 350/400 and it is physically larger than the 125/200.
The later E/F have the advantage of CDI but I think the earlier A/B can be slightly cheaper. There seems to be more A/B imports around compared to the later bikes and again these can be cheaper and in better condition than UK bikes.
I think it is important to remember that whilst these bikes seemed fast to seventeen year old aspiring Barry Sheenes, in reality modern bikes have much greater power/brakes/handling, so most of us own these bikes as a nostalgic trip
Good luck with your search

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline robrd

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 10:54:42 AM »
Hello and welcome to the forum. What part of the midlands are you from? i am in Stafford. It looks like your reliving your youth and what a better way to do it than on an RD! you won't be disappointed. My hobby in retirement is to find the old RD's that nobody else wants anymore and turning them into nice road going bikes again, i have two at present, a 350 and a 400 and enjoy every turn of the spanner. Keep us informed of what you get.

Offline aquitaine

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 05:17:13 PM »
thanks for all the help .looks like iam on the hunt for a rd250 ,will let you know what I find ,by the way iam in ashby

Offline Yammy 38

• Yammy38
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 10:01:50 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Plenty of good help on here. Hope you get an RD soon. I have a 400 and live in Hinckley so maybe a meet up when you get one!!

Offline Adeyone

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • 2 Strokes do it twice as often!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 08:22:18 PM »
Hello and welcome,

I am near Swadlincote and I have an RD350 from USA.

Welcome to the club.

Ady
Yamaha RD350 1973, 1 of first 700.
Lambretta Li 150 special, now 225cc TS1 with reed valve induction and expansion exhaust!
Honda ST70 Monkey bike, Now finished! FOR SALE!