Author Topic: Mot exemption  (Read 151 times)

Online Grumpyboy

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Mot exemption
« on: March 17, 2020, 09:44:48 AM »
My bike is registered as tax and MOT exempt.  If I were to get it an Mot would this remove the tax and Mot exemption?
Strange question I know but the OCD part of me would like to continue to have all the Mot certs while not paying any road tax!
Thanks for any advice
RD 400E
Hornet 250
XJR 1300
XSR 900

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Mot exemption
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 09:56:14 AM »
No, I don't think it removes the exemption. Its your choice, if you want an MOT, get an MOT.

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »
I THINK (await confirmation!) that tax payable is based on taxation class, in most of our cases this will be Historic Vehicle. This one time change has to be applied for, otherwise you will still be liable for the tax.

I've only done a first time only tax application where a MoT wasn't needed (at the same time as changing the tax status at the post office) and I had to fill in the form that said that a MoT wasn't needed. My guess (and it is only that) is that this form won't need completing for future years, as I should be able to apply online using the reminder.

I agree that a MoT should give you some piece of mind as to the roadworthiness of your bike(s).
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) just received
Yam AS3 in boxes just received

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 01:45:48 PM »

My bike is registered as tax and MOT exempt.  If I were to get it an Mot would this remove the tax and Mot exemption?
Strange question I know but the OCD part of me would like to continue to have all the Mot certs while not paying any road tax!
Thanks for any advice

If your bike is in the Historic Taxation Class (and it sounds like yours is) you get "free" road tax and you don't require an MOT. Getting an MOT for piece of mind (or any other reason) will not affect the Historic Taxation Class

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 07:48:27 PM »
I still MOT many tax and MOT exempt bikes, some people like to keep the MOT history for the mileage and piece of mind.
RD400C best in show RD rally 2019... From Southampton

Online Grumpyboy

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 08:48:26 PM »
Many thanks to all for your responses.  Probably due to my age there is something comforting about having all the mots for a vehicle, even though I am confident my bike is in a roadworthy condition.   I will get another mot but don’t feel the same need to buy some tax....
RD 400E
Hornet 250
XJR 1300
XSR 900