Author Topic: 1974 RD350 suddenly wont start.  (Read 560 times)

Offline c50

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
Re: 1974 RD350 suddenly wont start.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
The high top spec is exactly the same as the low top and adjusts up exactly the same. 1-2 mm at carb tops and 3-4 mm on twist grip. If it does not you have the wrong or a crap cable. I have done dozens and all end up spot on when you fit the correct parts.

Adjust your cables up by the book. throttle adjuster initially screwed right in and idle speed set to 1250 and exactly balanced,  adjust 1-2mm slack on carb adjusters making sure both slides lift and clear top of venturi exactly together , then adjust throttle adjuster to 3-4mm back checking the 1-2mm at carbs. Then calibrate oil pump. If you have the correct parts this will be achieved with plenty of adjustment left at both ends. The throttle adjuster often ends up screwed almost all of the way in with Genuine or 70's jap pattern parts. 

Offline skidsolo

• Newcomer
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 10:55:47 PM »
Yeah I think the HVC Cycle cables are fine. I realized that the right hand side has way more slack than the left because of the routing from left to right through the frame. I installed the longer outer cables supplied in the kit and adjusted the right cable from the carb more than the left and found it was fine, although if you had too little slack the slide would not seat right down. I ended up with about 3-4 mm of slack in the right hand side. It runs fine now and has room for the cables to give a little over time.
Ill do some fine tuning next weekend.

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2020, 08:07:35 AM »
Yeah I think the HVC Cycle cables are fine. I realized that the right hand side has way more slack than the left because of the routing from left to right through the frame. I installed the longer outer cables supplied in the kit and adjusted the right cable from the carb more than the left and found it was fine, although if you had too little slack the slide would not seat right down. I ended up with about 3-4 mm of slack in the right hand side. It runs fine now and has room for the cables to give a little over time.
Ill do some fine tuning next weekend.

If you want, Private Message me your email address and I can send over to you the Yamaha wiring and cable routing diagram, as produced by Yamaha themselves.

Alan
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) just received
Yam AS3 in boxes just received