Author Topic: DS7 Odyssey  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: DS7 Odyssey
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2020, 11:04:34 PM »

Any suggestions for 2cycle oil for a stock DS7? I'm in a location that I can get a wide variety of brands, Klotz, Belray, Yamaha etc. Not sure if one type or brand is any better on a 50 yr old bike.

I hope I didn't just step into a minefield....
This shouldn't be a minefield

You have already had a couple of suggestions for various semi synthetic oils.
I use a fully synthetic oil, no particular brand, but definitely a named brand from a known source. It is more expensive (around £10 a litre), but as I don't do many miles it is not a concern.
Whatever you use it is bound to be better than what was shoved into the oil tank back when your DS7 was new

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2020, 01:04:30 AM »
In about the last hour I got my replacement set of rings, measured them checked to make sure they were correct, base gasket sealed, jug set, headgasket and head. Torqued down to 180 in/lbs.
Compression is 140psi which looks like about 10kg/cm for both barrels. I hope that's good enough because thats going to be what it is until it gets bored out

I never saw what the compression should be but before I tore into it I had about 100 in one jug and about 95psi (under 7kg) in the other.

On a separate note, still kinda pissed we never joined the rest of the world back in the 60's with our measurement system...

I think I can mix me a pitcher of old fashions now. Screw it, too much work, bourbon neat! Cheers!

Mike
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 01:38:27 PM by Grey Duck »

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2020, 08:07:52 AM »

On a separate note, still kinda pissed we never joined the rest of the world back in the 60's with our measurement system...

I think I can mix me a picture of old fashions now. Screw it, too much work, bourbon neat! Cheers!

Mike
I'm sorry to inform you, but there will be a good number of us on this Forum who are still happily continuing with the old imperial measurements.
Although I personally use a confusing mixture of the imperial and metric

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »
That's good to know. A person can never have enough hand tools to fit whatever was the whim of the manufacturer.

It makes it difficult here, at work we use exclusively SAE, 1/4x20, 3/8" bolts etc. measure only in inches and feet but using anything manufactured anywhere outside the US (which is just about everything).... That's what Crescent Wrenches and Channel Locks are for :)

Thanks mates, everybody have a nice VD, don't forget to share with your sweetie  :-*

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2020, 10:17:54 PM »
I don't think my sweetie would want... :D

Quick note, VD here does not stand for Veterans Day lol!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2020, 12:25:47 AM »
Just seen this on eBay. Any good to you? I can post it for you if you like.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-YDS7-YR5-1970-1973-Haynes-Shop-Manual-DS7-R5-250-350-pre-RD-LC-CM18/153838338727?epid=1805704490&hash=item23d17ac2a7%3Ag%3AVzkAAOSwUuheTTzS&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Thanks! No I have the factory service manual both in print and downloaded from the Club. Plus I have the USA version of Clymer. BTW I really like the Clymer it has all of the FSM as well as tuning and some performance mods.

89848-0

Thanks for thinking of me.
Mike

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2020, 12:41:31 AM »
I have been putzing around on some details here the past few days. I have the air filter boots on, I have spark and compression, put a new chain.

We just got a few more inches of snow a couple of days ago and low temps below 0F. (for only the second time this winter) However, temps are rising and should be above freezing this weekend. If that holds up, fingers crossed, I think I'm going to fire up!

Something interesting though, I ran across a set of YR5 barrels with a fresh 1st over bore and new piston sets for not a bad price... I cannot come up with a good reason to buy them, but what's worse is I cannot come up with a good reason NOT to get them either :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2020, 08:09:14 AM »
Buy them and use them on your DS7 or sell them on to another deserving sole on here

Terry Pratchett

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2020, 01:52:30 PM »
Buy them and use them on your DS7 or sell them on to another deserving sole on here

+1

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2020, 02:16:33 PM »
Exactly!
My experience on this side of the pond is there is more OEM, NOS and aftermarket support for the 350cc flavored bikes than the 250's
HVC carries a whole line of pistons and rings for the R5 but nothing for the DS7 tops.

It costs me more to source out the first over pistons and rings on ebay than what this whole top end costs plus it appears to be in good condition.
Im picking it up today, $250.00  :D :D :D :D 8)

If I don't use them you will be the first to know.

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2020, 04:02:10 PM »
Bargain!!!  :) :)

Offline Grey Duck

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2020, 12:12:35 AM »
Looky looky aint these babies purdy?

89864-0

I think I speak for all when I say those are some nice jugs! I'm going to go fondle these for a while.... Later  ;D ;D ;D

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
Looky looky aint these babies purdy?

(Attachment Link)

I think I speak for all when I say those are some nice jugs! I'm going to go fondle these for a while.... Later  ;D ;D ;D

Yes! That's a nice pair of jugs for sure, they should keep you happy for a little while.

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2020, 09:45:57 AM »
Other folks' jugs always look nicer than mine!
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) just received
Yam AS3 in boxes just received