Author Topic: Hi/Low switch LH switchgear  (Read 173 times)

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Hi/Low switch LH switchgear
« on: January 15, 2020, 09:35:13 PM »
So in a job lot of junk got a LH unit which I thought would do for my RD200C USA.
However the Hi/Low switch lever is broken off and the large screw on slider knob missing. Thinking this was metal, it would be easy fix. But taking it apart its a clear plastic moulding.
Looking in Ebay lots of LH units for all sorts of yamaha bikes, all with Hi/Low broken off. Seems a common problem for 70's bikes
The action of using your left thumb to turn on Hi pushes the lever side ways and eventually the plastic gives up. Clear design fault. ::)
Cannibalizing is not really a sound solution.
Yes I know there are pattern switchgear replacements but that seems a bit extreme.
So has anybody come up with a replacement part or repair for the lever and a source for the missing knob ??? ???
Here's hoping
-Mike

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 09:39:59 PM by Astute Greaser »

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Hi/Low switch LH switchgear
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »
Evening Mike.

I can't disagree with your logic on the frailty of the original switch. However, do you think that your (or any of our) restos will be used enough for this to be an issue in the future?

I'm not thinking too hard about this now (it's getting quite late for me!), but the switch had to be non metal due to the housing and 'bars being the source of the negative earth. Suzukis (and probably other makes) suffered with the same issue.

If you can't find a nice, complete original replacement, then I'd go for tatty one and cannibalise it for parts.

All the best.

Alan
Yam RD200DX (Gr8auntiepat's)
Yam FZX700 Fazer
Yam RD400 bitsa
Yam RD350B rough
Yam RT2 almost finished
Yam DT360A almost finished
Suzi GT550J just started
Suzi 1250 Bandit regular rider
Yam RD125B (probably!) just received
Yam AS3 in boxes just received

Offline Mr. Wiring Wizard

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 05:17:16 PM »
Think Mervin did post a how to repair thread on this topic years ago

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • When the going gets weird the weird turn pro
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2020, 07:16:34 PM »
Think Mervin did post a how to repair thread on this topic years ago
yes it seems to have dissapeared , I have lost the pics to , will have to see if i can do it again , but you do need an intact piece to mould the replacement part to
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!”