Author Topic: MOT or not MOT  (Read 472 times)

Offline chrisg.007

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
MOT or not MOT
« on: December 15, 2019, 11:35:28 AM »
Does a bike need an MOT to be registered in the UK (import) if its over 40 year.?
Also, when does the MOT exemption start, is it the date of 1st registration date plus 40yrs? Thanks
Growing old is compulsery, growing up is optional.

RD400D
RD250E  350 conversion
Suzuki X7
RD400E
RD350LC  4LO

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: MOT or not MOT
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
Paul D will probably come back with a definitive answer. However, from the posts that I've seen here and on the Yamaha Enduros forum, it might be pot luck and just depend on where you live.

Online tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 02:05:52 PM »
Don't need an MOT or insurance to register an import, assuming you have Nova and Title. Guess it becomes MOT exempt once its reached 40yrs old. When sending off to be registered, send some good clear photos of manufactured date and if possible get Paul to date it for you.

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »
Don't need an MOT or insurance to register an import, assuming you have Nova and Title. Guess it becomes MOT exempt once its reached 40yrs old. When sending off to be registered, send some good clear photos of manufactured date and if possible get Paul to date it for you.

That's correct, no MOT or insurance needed...
RD400C best in show RD rally 2019... From Southampton

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2019, 06:33:54 PM »

That's correct, no MOT or insurance needed...

Thanks Paul.

If I remember correctly, some areas carry out a physical inspection? I'm pretty sure a forum member had to leave a metre clear all the way around his bike to facilitate this inspection (please don't say that I imagined this!).

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
I always keep any foreign reg docs etc and get a dating certificate from Paul.

With a dating certificate its 40yrs from the end of the month that it was manufactured.

My 250 was manufactured June '79, i sent my forms off in June '19 and had them returned saying the bike needed MOT

I sent them back in July (without MOT) and all was OK... ;)

Offline chrisg.007

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2019, 08:20:31 PM »
Thanks gents.
Growing old is compulsery, growing up is optional.

RD400D
RD250E  350 conversion
Suzuki X7
RD400E
RD350LC  4LO

Offline c50

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 11:09:13 AM »
No you do not need an mot to register if it's an historic vehicle. January after 40th birthday. And you DO NOT need a dating certificate if you have the original title or insurance . The process is really easy, 90% of the form isn't even filled in. Just remember to insure or sorn it straight away afterwards. 

I have done 4 US ex DK bikes the last year, takes 10 mins to fill the form in, copied all the info I had with them, took a few pictures and sent those including head stock label, engine number along with Nova and cheque, less than two weeks later the registration/tax confirmation arrives back in post. Piss easy. Cannot understand why anyone who has a nova and tile would try and sell a "historic vehicle" bike without registering it first, that's just stupid, self inflicted devaluation.

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 07:09:47 PM »
That's all correct other than it becomes tax exempt in the April after its 40th birthday. And yes I totally agree its a waste of money not to register a bike before selling it. the total cost is £115 and less if you have the title.
RD400C best in show RD rally 2019... From Southampton