Author Topic: rd250d oil pump adjustment  (Read 186 times)

Offline ajh

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
rd250d oil pump adjustment
« on: October 09, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »
Hi, recently acquired a 77 rd250d and slowly shaking all the faults out and challenging my memory in terms of how to fix things

It smokes quite a bit so checking the oil pump and I think it needs adjusting as I can get a bus in the gap between the big washer and the pump body (at least 30 thou).

First question - I assume this would cause a bit of over oiling and smoke?

Second question - Before adjusting, I just wanted to double check with experts Im measuring correctly. (See the pic with feeler gauge inserted between washer and body).

Third and final -  I assume at full throttle, the red marks in other pic need to line up

Forgive the 'reassurance' request but Im paranoid about oil pumps since years ago having a cable break at full chat and subsequent seizure.

All help gratefully received!

Adrian
in West London

77 RD250d, 80 DT175mx

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: rd250d oil pump adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 09:02:25 AM »
Hi Adrian,  worth moving to Metric.  :)  Your standard gap with the plunger at full "out" position and Pulley at Idle is 0.2-0.25mm .
Yes, larger gaps than the standard will make more smoke due to more oil.
Yes, the pin and the little mark align at full throttle.
You can easy download/look at the 250/400C/D manual in the manuals bit of the tech on this site. ;)  Cheers

5port

5port

Offline ajh

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 01:24:31 PM »
Hi Adrian,  worth moving to Metric.  :)  Your standard gap with the plunger at full "out" position and Pulley at Idle is 0.2-0.25mm .
Yes, larger gaps than the standard will make more smoke due to more oil.
Yes, the pin and the little mark align at full throttle.
You can easy download/look at the 250/400C/D manual in the manuals bit of the tech on this site. ;)  Cheers

5port

I can estimate a gap by eye in thou but wouldn't have a clue what it is in metric :-) Did my apprenticeship on Jags all those years ago
in West London

77 RD250d, 80 DT175mx

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 04:34:29 PM »
 :)  40thou inch is almost exactly 1.0mm.  So, your 30thou is about 0.75mm, or 3x the standard min setting.  Cheers

5port   
5port