Author Topic: RD200A - My precious  (Read 302 times)

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
RD200A - My precious
« on: October 04, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
So I know where my RD is. Is in the garage. ;D ;D ;D
For those who wondered. My original 1974 RD200A. From Richards Racing in Barry £405.
Took 9 weeks for DVLA to process, but I've got my original reg. Shame the good weathers gone  :(.
Yes the colour is not the original Virginia Gold but the colour I could get back in 81. Its part of me, my history and I like it :P

Offline GR400

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD200A - My precious
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 07:13:12 PM »
Brilliant!  Owned it continuously from new or found it and bought it back?
'80 RD400F, coming together slowly
'75 RD350B, my retirement project at this rate!
'01 ZRX1200R
'01 GSX-R1000 K1

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 07:22:08 PM »
The V5C says :-
number of previous keepers = 0
Yes always had it but went up garage loft in bits back in 79. Did bit of work in 81. Then life overtook me.
So retired last year and got it done very slowly  :-[
Paperwork, tax and mot exemptions sorted yesterday and insured with Peter James to day.
So need a bit of sun to get some miles in and wear in the rebore. Thankfully the insurance came with recovery ::)
The razor blade is frightening
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 07:24:00 PM by Astute Greaser »

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 10:59:07 AM »
Good bike!  :)  How much is still your original bike? 
So, colour was Virginia Gold, would you change it back if money no problem?   :-\

Cheers

5port
5port

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »
Oddly although I've got the USA 200C to do up, those bits will be French Blue. I won't take opportunity to go Virginia Gold and swap out. He says now :-\ . The 'C' came with an 'A' tank which would needs badges, really need to swap out to 'B' or I'm filling in the recesses.
Replaced:-
Mudguards, rims & spokes, chainguard, seat cover, indicators, headlight glass, rear shocks plus serviceable bits ie chain, control cables, brakes, modern tyres etc.
All rest original, tho tarted with powdercoat, rechrome, rebore, POR15 liner, Philpots on stanchions, aquablast/micro-polish hubs and rebuilt seat pan. Not happy with silencers but they are doing job. Its not a rivet counters bike, I want to be able to ride off into my dotage  ;D
Mileage after the first 4 1/2 years of life 32K. These bikes if nursed were surprisingly strong, but just like everything in the 70's, rust buckets, very little plastic, lots of chrome.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 11:45:33 AM by Astute Greaser »

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 01:39:15 PM »
Yes, Very difficult to keep originality, esp with a UK bike!  By careful parts buying, I have managed to keep a fair amount of original finish on my latest 250C.  I accepted some minor marks and dings to avoid refinishing.  The main parts with original paint / finish are; Frame, tank, oil tank, sidepanel, swingarm, chainguard, wheels, fork lowers, rear shocks, rear muddy, horn, brake calipers, discs and exhaust system.  Lots of the minor parts and fasteners are v.good used and NOS.  Sometimes NOS parts are not still a good finish  ::) and, lots of superceeded Yamaha OE parts are very different now!  Main parts with new finish are front muddy and fork stanchions both original but rechromed, seat cover, engine paint and rear footrest brackets.  Virtually all rubber parts and consumables are NOS or OE.  Cheers

5port
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 05:50:25 PM by 5port »
5port