Author Topic: Air Compressor Motor  (Read 172 times)

Offline dieseldoc

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Air Compressor Motor
« on: September 10, 2019, 04:09:58 PM »
I would appreciate some help from any of you that are electricians. I have bought a second hand air compressor for my workshop. It has a 240v single phase, 3HP, 2850rpm motor but the capacitor is missing. Do any of you know what size capacitor I need to get the motor started and do I need another for it to keep running? The motor will run with a helping hand and the compressor turns over freely.
Thanks in advance, Bob
Two Stroke Smoke Shed

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
Re: Air Compressor Motor
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:07:12 PM »
What make is it? Have you looked at their website? Might tell you there.

Offline dieseldoc

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 11:33:09 PM »
COMPAIR EASYAIR (E16) They were merged with Broomwade and then taken over by Gardner Denver (USA) so I am having a hard time trying to find information, although I think it was made in the 1990's, so it is not that old. All I need is for an industrial electrician to tell me what size (uF) start capacitor I need for the 3HP (2.2KW) motor.
Two Stroke Smoke Shed

Online SJM

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 11:49:41 PM »
COMPAIR EASYAIR (E16) They were merged with Broomwade and then taken over by Gardner Denver (USA) so I am having a hard time trying to find information, although I think it was made in the 1990's, so it is not that old. All I need is for an industrial electrician to tell me what size (uF) start capacitor I need for the 3HP (2.2KW) motor.

Hi. Doing online searches gets you stuff like this with tables and info to make a decision. Noting that if the manufactures ident plate is still attached it should give you values.

https://www.electricneutron.com/electric-motor/single-phase-capacitor-sizing/
RD400F Daytona Modified, RD400F Daytona Original Stock, RD400F Pile of Parts!, RD250E Pile of Parts! Still! Ducati M1200R Black.

Offline dieseldoc

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 08:55:16 AM »
Thanks Steve. I did see something like that online. I just want a bit of assurance from someone who has the electrical knowledge to confirm.
Two Stroke Smoke Shed