Author Topic: MOT needed?  (Read 185 times)

Offline Yammy 38

• Yammy38
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
MOT needed?
« on: September 09, 2019, 09:54:58 PM »
Can I just ask, got my V5C back as Historic for my 1978 registered RD. Tax was due end of August. Post Office did a good job. MOT due in October do I still need one? DVLA web site still says MOT expires 28 October?  Is this right?

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: MOT needed?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:54:28 PM »
No mot needed 40yrs from first registration, or in my case with an import without registration date it goes from month of manufacture.

Paul dated my 250f as a June '79 so was mot exempt as from 1st July '19

On gov.uk website, the mot box is green and it says "no details held by dvla" ... ;)

Offline psoidon

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:56:06 AM »
My '74 RD 350 needed no MOT, some insurance companies might want one anyway, but I see nothing in my insurance that requires this. Just make sure you are sure its safe to ride and the brakes work ;-)
1978 CD175 (Unstarted project)
1974 RD350
1980 Z650 C3
2001 Vmax

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:02:31 PM »
My '74 RD 350 needed no MOT, some insurance companies might want one anyway, but I see nothing in my insurance that requires this. Just make sure you are sure its safe to ride and the brakes work ;-)

I think its a grey area, your insurance company will say that your bike needs to be roadworthy. Can you prove that it is or was ?
Southampton

Online tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 09:01:27 PM »

I think its a grey area, your insurance company will say that your bike needs to be roadworthy. Can you prove that it is or was ?

On that note, can you ever prove your vehicle was roadworthy, an MOT is only proof that it was at the time of the MOT.

I think it even say that on the MOT

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 10:05:44 PM »
Very true. My truck won't need one soon but I'll still get it done for peace of mind, hidden things like wheel hubs etc that would never get checked unless the truck was lifted above the ground. But with a bike it's pretty simple to keep on top of things. So if you don't need an MOT, don't bother I say  ;)

Offline Yammy 38

• Yammy38
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 10:22:21 PM »
Thanks everyone, might get this year's done and then not bother. I will also check with insurance. I am with Footman James so they should be clear on classic vehicles.

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 06:42:56 AM »

On that note, can you ever prove your vehicle was roadworthy, an MOT is only proof that it was at the time of the MOT.

I think it even say that on the MOT

But if you have a MOT at least you can prove its been checked every year. I still MOT mine but then again I don't pay for MOTs so its different. I just think its something insurance companies could through at you if you make a claim.

Southampton