Author Topic: Tony's RD250LC  (Read 1393 times)

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Tony's RD250LC
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »
Oh...well I'm going to do that anyway...seems sturdy enough. My plastic weld didn't last very long... :D

Yeh, the original tang is a weak link on these bikes, its rare to see a good one, no reason you can't make something similar to the gully seat up though.

If you look closely at the base in my pic, you can see its quite different to an original Yam seat.

Offline shaunthe2nd

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • New member - be gentle!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 12:13:41 PM »
Looks ideal for you Tony, everything basically there but just needs elbow grease.
You don’t often see them like that as the breakers have them for parts ....you probably got a 2.5K asset there if you think of it like that.
Was it hidden in plain sight as I didn’t see it on the bay ?

Yes mate! as you say, perfect for me, very few parts needed, at a glance, 2 front indicators and stems, the usual clock top cover, its broken, right front footped looks broken and rubber, a pair of handle bars and plenty of elbow grease/paint, O and engine re-build ASAP, though we will see what its like inside first, there are bound to be other things also that I won't know until I start.

Found on ebay, I bought the last 1 off the same guy, Hopkin from Cardiff, he sells a lot of them, nice chap.

much better bike for the money this time Peter, I am chuffed to bits, funny how things work out.

Hope its better than the one I got from him. I bought a 350LC which he described as a runner with a good engine. when it turned up, there was no oil nor drain plug in the engine, the top end was seized and the clutch locked up. no way he could have run it. When I contacted him to complain he just blanked me. I wouldn't deal with him again.
RD350LC - RD250LC - RD200DX

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 01:57:01 PM »
Looks ideal for you Tony, everything basically there but just needs elbow grease.
You don’t often see them like that as the breakers have them for parts ....you probably got a 2.5K asset there if you think of it like that.
Was it hidden in plain sight as I didn’t see it on the bay ?

Yes mate! as you say, perfect for me, very few parts needed, at a glance, 2 front indicators and stems, the usual clock top cover, its broken, right front footped looks broken and rubber, a pair of handle bars and plenty of elbow grease/paint, O and engine re-build ASAP, though we will see what its like inside first, there are bound to be other things also that I won't know until I start.

Found on ebay, I bought the last 1 off the same guy, Hopkin from Cardiff, he sells a lot of them, nice chap.

much better bike for the money this time Peter, I am chuffed to bits, funny how things work out.

Hope its better than the one I got from him. I bought a 350LC which he described as a runner with a good engine. when it turned up, there was no oil nor drain plug in the engine, the top end was seized and the clutch locked up. no way he could have run it. When I contacted him to complain he just blanked me. I wouldn't deal with him again.

Ouch!

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 03:08:42 PM »
Tony, does yours atleast turn over? Fortunately even worst case the consequences on a 250 wouldn't be as severe as a 350. engine parts are much easier and cheaper to acquire.
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 04:50:05 PM »
Tony, does yours atleast turn over? Fortunately even worst case the consequences on a 250 wouldn't be as severe as a 350. engine parts are much easier and cheaper to acquire.

Better than just turn over, I just went out to it, turned on fuel and choke, first kick, broom broom, sounds OK too, but we will see, the last one I bought from him had a good engine, I have been very lucky with this one.

Only the clutch, oil pump and barrels are different on the 350 aren't they.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 04:53:05 PM by tony2stroke »

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »
That’s a big step in the right direction. Still worth pulling apart though to take a peep as some point. I always like to know what I’m sat on even if it seems all ok.

Clutch is the same, but the rest is as you say, plus, cylinder head obviously and carbs. Other things on the running gear and exhausts. But generally 95% same as with the AC bikes.
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 06:37:46 PM »
That’s a big step in the right direction. Still worth pulling apart though to take a peep as some point. I always like to know what I’m sat on even if it seems all ok.

Clutch is the same, but the rest is as you say, plus, cylinder head obviously and carbs. Other things on the running gear and exhausts. But generally 95% same as with the AC bikes.

Yeh I will take head off and look inside to see if all good or not.

according to the parts list the clutch is different on the 350, there are some different part numbers to do with the clutch.

Just looked it up, its the primary driven gear part no 4L1 16150 00 what most of us call the clutch basket.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:14:58 PM by tony2stroke »

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »
Thought the carbs on the 250 and 350LC were the same 26mm Mikunis but with different jetting? Though I could be wrong lol  :D

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 10:03:40 PM »
Thought the carbs on the 250 and 350LC were the same 26mm Mikunis but with different jetting? Though I could be wrong lol  :D

It is basically the same carb with different jetting for the 350, I know the air jet is different in the carb body as well as the changeable parts.

Online betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 10:16:11 PM »
The fixed jet is different so you can’t just unscrew parts and rebuild..
Of course you can drill out and mod the carb but TBH they are too valuable to hack about. Better to use something compatible. The 4L2 is best option if you want to do that.

Think the difference on the clutch is just the damper ring , but the number of teeth and ratio is the same. That’s different to the AC where 250 and 350 have different ratio.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:18:34 PM by betty foRD »
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 11:30:58 PM »
Apologies Tony for the late pics. Sadly no LC brake lever to be found...

I can repair the dings on the underside for you if you like.

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 10:20:41 AM »
Cheers Alex, I am not sure if I am doing a full restore or tart up yet mate, if its a restore it will be new clock cover, Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it when I decide what to do, nothing is going to happen for a while yet, hold on to it for me please butt.

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »
No worries here if you want them  ;)