Author Topic: Another Silver Dust  (Read 3033 times)

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Another Silver Dust
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
Dug out my rear mudguards tonight one is probably past it so is the other but I need one so Im going to have a go at repairing them uk one is the worst so ill start on the non uk one as its a bit more solid.
I cut out  the bad area this had cracked and been brazed so I thought it better
 to remove it completely I dressed a new piece to weld back but in not sure whether to mig or tig the patch back in but heading towards mig as I haven't much experience with tig welding so Ill see how it goes.

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2019, 11:37:38 PM »
Bikes used in the UK seem to have more problems with the tinware than other countries.

Given the standard of your previous work, I'm sure these will look excellent as well
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2019, 05:39:16 PM »
Mig welded the patch in I think it would have been ok if id taken my time but I rushed it and it is no good at all so Im going to redo it properly this time going to make a wooden dolly the same shape as the inside of the mudguard to dress it properly and i am going to tig braze the patch in hopefully I can get it right this time ill do it when ive got a bit more time and in the right frame of mind

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2019, 09:10:16 PM »
Not had much time at the moment but did manage to get the tig I brought fired up HF  isnt working but it seems fine with lift start first ever go so not to unhappy tried on a piece of ally and its a learning curve waiting for the weld pool to form before starting to add the filler also not removing the torch at the end of the weld
Travel speed seems important and not touching down to contaminate tungsten first I thought it would be impossible but getting there slowly did have a go at some tig brazing on a scrap piece the same as the mudguard I need to repair and it seemed much easier than the ally just waiting for some tungstens for steel to turn up and ill have another go at it

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2019, 05:49:28 PM »
Got a bit better today just waiting for my steel tungstens then I can have another go at the mudguard

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2019, 07:46:15 PM »
Haven't had much time so making little progress although my grab rail turned up and appears in good condition polished the light rust of with some solvol and I think ill get away without re-chroming it hope its the right one looks like a little mark in the last photo but its only the light
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:51:57 PM by doggone1 »

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »
 :D
How come none of your pics show it in the fitted orientation?  It goes with the lifting loop on the LHS so you can stand next to the bike on it's left side and stand on the main stand arm while you heave on the loop with your right hand.  ;)

5port
5port

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
You beat me to it didnt realize I hadnt taken a pic of it up the right way last night and couldnt be bothered to go back out so added one tonight.