Author Topic: Another Silver Dust  (Read 13191 times)

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Another Silver Dust
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
Dug out my rear mudguards tonight one is probably past it so is the other but I need one so Im going to have a go at repairing them uk one is the worst so ill start on the non uk one as its a bit more solid.
I cut out  the bad area this had cracked and been brazed so I thought it better
 to remove it completely I dressed a new piece to weld back but in not sure whether to mig or tig the patch back in but heading towards mig as I haven't much experience with tig welding so Ill see how it goes.

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2019, 11:37:38 PM »
Bikes used in the UK seem to have more problems with the tinware than other countries.

Given the standard of your previous work, I'm sure these will look excellent as well
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2019, 05:39:16 PM »
Mig welded the patch in I think it would have been ok if id taken my time but I rushed it and it is no good at all so Im going to redo it properly this time going to make a wooden dolly the same shape as the inside of the mudguard to dress it properly and i am going to tig braze the patch in hopefully I can get it right this time ill do it when ive got a bit more time and in the right frame of mind

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2019, 09:10:16 PM »
Not had much time at the moment but did manage to get the tig I brought fired up HF  isnt working but it seems fine with lift start first ever go so not to unhappy tried on a piece of ally and its a learning curve waiting for the weld pool to form before starting to add the filler also not removing the torch at the end of the weld
Travel speed seems important and not touching down to contaminate tungsten first I thought it would be impossible but getting there slowly did have a go at some tig brazing on a scrap piece the same as the mudguard I need to repair and it seemed much easier than the ally just waiting for some tungstens for steel to turn up and ill have another go at it

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2019, 05:49:28 PM »
Got a bit better today just waiting for my steel tungstens then I can have another go at the mudguard

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2019, 07:46:15 PM »
Haven't had much time so making little progress although my grab rail turned up and appears in good condition polished the light rust of with some solvol and I think ill get away without re-chroming it hope its the right one looks like a little mark in the last photo but its only the light
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:51:57 PM by doggone1 »

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2019, 09:59:36 PM »
 :D
How come none of your pics show it in the fitted orientation?  It goes with the lifting loop on the LHS so you can stand next to the bike on it's left side and stand on the main stand arm while you heave on the loop with your right hand.  ;)

5port
5port

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
You beat me to it didnt realize I hadnt taken a pic of it up the right way last night and couldnt be bothered to go back out so added one tonight.

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2019, 05:23:29 PM »
Life takes you off in different directions needed to put in a new drive as the old one was quite dangerous to get out of which involved quite a lot of work rerouting it through a field and building a bridge across the river Medina planning wanted the old one blocking of in stone because the house is listed anyway thats done so I got a chance to start back on the RD for a couple of hours I also acquired a mill that was for sale locally for £200 so thought it was worth a go as it was in bits but turned out ok as it was all there in the end so I thought Id give it a go boring out a broken mirror in one of my master cylinders found it a lot easier to center than my pillar drill Ive just bored through at 6mm and filled the hole with penetrating oil and will leave it soaking for a week or two then Ill try opening it out a bit more hoping the drill might bring it out with it as its a left hand thread if not ill try and pick the old thread out or re tap it I would have tried welding a nut to it with the tig but cant get the fluid bowl of and was worried about the heat distorting it.
The tig welding is progressing well on aluminium managed to mend a few thing already including an old set of Matchless casing so I need to get back on the brazing now and have another go at the mudguard

Online GR400

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2019, 06:11:49 PM »
That's definitely worth effort to save.  One of the 'Europe B only' rocking horse sh*t items
'80 RD400F, restored
'75 RD350B. Not touched for at least 20 years. Next up
'01 ZRX1200R
'01 GSX-R1000 K1

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2019, 06:50:57 PM »
Hopefully it should be ok if Im careful the bore is in excellent condition so ill take my time with it

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2019, 05:31:06 PM »
Managed to get a day in the workshop today so I thought I would  start my forks.
First job was to remove the studs they were well in there but with a bit of heat and a couple of nuts they gave in and came out.
Next was to remove the bottom Allen screws I thought id have to make something to hold the damper while I unscrewed them but they came undone with a knacker knacker gun easily so i thought I was home and dry until i removed the dust covers and saw that the fork seals were quite corroded.
After pondering the best way forward I decided to cut an old washer bolt it on to a bit of threaded bar and slide it under them then I put a plate on top of the forks and tightened another nut to pull them up once I had a bit of pressure on them I heated them and once they started to move I found a bit of tube the right size to let them pull up and out they were quite tight but came in the end with the help of the blowtorch this was this was the hardest part for me although I hadn't anticipated it being so.
Next I sanded out some dings on the stanchions working my way down to 2000 grit then polished them up same with the top nuts dressed a couple of dings out then polished them.
Then on to plating the studs and seal retainers I left them in for 40 minutes and blue passivate for 30 seconds although there not that shiny as they were quite pitted they are well zinc plated for future protection and wont be seen.
Dust seals are perished so will need replacing Im thinking of using nikone fork seals and the fork tubes ill send of to be hard chromed but all in all good day at the office for a change.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:59:39 PM by doggone1 »

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2019, 07:36:32 PM »
Well done for getting them apart without incurring any damage

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »
Bit more progress today thought I would start on the wiring loom first I took the regulator and rectifier off the battery box which was quite bent so I straightened it blasted it in the blast cabinet and primed it.
Next was the fuse holder no fuse in there just a big old bit of wire cleaned it up plated the clip and cleaned the terminals.
Then I had a look at the dash loom two of the bulb holders are shot and one isnt great so ill replace these when I find something that will fit into the original rubbers.
The rest of the loom isn't to bad so Im going to put soda back in the blast cabinet and use it to clean all the terminals plastic connectors etc then do any repairs if needed and re tape with some PVC loom tape I managed to clean the part label its not to bad so ill put it back on when I tape up the loom.

Offline doggone1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2019, 07:39:36 PM »
put the studs back in forks and went to put the end cap back on to keep it all together when I removed the end cap originally it was quite tight and the studs were bent so I straightened them before I refitted them but couldn't get the end cap on so I removed the studs and tried the  end cap without the studs fitted and it was a smaller diameter than the forks so I tried then end cap on my R5 spindle and it was the same as that.
I did have another set of 350 forks that had the mudguard lugs removed so I took the cap of those and it was a correct fit I tried bolting on to the spindle and all seems good guess these bikes have been through a few pairs of careless hands in there time.