Author Topic: Another Silver Dust  (Read 1672 times)

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Another Silver Dust
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2019, 06:48:00 PM »
Thought id have a quick look at my master cylinder tonight I tried to get the dust seal out without damaging it but it was not to be retaining ring was rusted and seal was quite perished.
Ive read these are quite hard to find but had a kit for my z1a here and the dust seal is a good replacement these are easily available so will be using that although the other seals are different.
Then I ground down some old snipe nose pliers to get the circlip out it was quite rusted so I soaked it in penetrating fluid and used a pick to free it up and then the pliers lifted it quite well.
Then I taped a bit of rag to some mild steel bar and covered it with solvol autosol and put  it in a drill to polish the bore it seems to have done a good job and looks to be in very good condition.
Next job will be to lightly bead blast the outside and clean the small return hole Im going to leave the reservoir in place as it could cause more problems if I try to  remove it.
Ive got a couple of these master cylinders and one larger one not sure what thats from very similar just bigger definitely looks Yamaha.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:49:48 PM by doggone1 »

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2019, 08:11:17 PM »
My second set of decals arrived today dont ask.
Image works took pity on me and did them half price couldnt have been more helpful Ill never fit them dry again.
Anyway I was nervous about trying again but determined to get them as good as I could.
I cut the decals as close to there actual size as I could i found this allowed them to take to the shape of the tank better and taped them in place I found that for me the best place to start was putting a fine line tape to the right dimension along the bottom of the tank and work up form here many thanks to rd350nick for the pics and dimensions.
Then when I was happy with them and the spacings there is quite a few places they have to line up in fact Image Works said they had trouble with them but said that the pre A,s were even worse. I proceeded to mark them out with 3mm fine line tape and used 5mm fine line tape for the spacing between decals then removed the decals leaving the tape outline.
When I started to fit them I found that spraying the tank with water and a couple of drops of fairy liquid then removing the backing tape and spraying the decal before appyling it allowed quite a bit of movement I started with the bottom line then the top then the middle followed by the Yamaha decal then on to the one on the top of the tank now I just need to get then lacquered and thats the body work finished and the cat can have its bed back.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:13:32 PM by doggone1 »

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2019, 09:05:42 PM »
Beautiful ;D

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2019, 10:00:53 PM »
Good work!

5port
5port

Online GR400

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2019, 10:11:14 AM »
Nice job!
'80 RD400F, coming together slowly
'75 RD350B, my retirement project at this rate!
'01 ZRX1200R
'01 GSX-R1000 K1

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »
Managed to get the tank lacquered after work today glad its finished quite a learning curve but very pleased with the finished job

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2019, 09:08:19 PM »
Not much happening but did manage to get my footrests plated and new rubbers fitted it seems quite hard to get them to plate inside the tubes  so ill do the inside with a bit of zinc paint to protect them.
Going to look at an RD200b for sale tomorrow no idea of value but it is a uk bike in good condition so Ill see what its like in the flesh
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:11:43 PM by doggone1 »

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »

Going to look at an RD200b for sale tomorrow no idea of value but it is a uk bike in good condition so Ill see what its like in the flesh
It would be a nice one to add to your collection.
The chrome and tinware is very hard to find in reasonable condition

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »
Thanks never got there today but will check out tinware and chrome hes asking 3k not sure if its good or bad dont see many for sale looks good in the pics but will have a good look hopefully tomorrow
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 09:04:39 PM by doggone1 »

Online Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2019, 11:38:22 PM »
That's the second one of these 397 engines I've seen with fin spacers  ???
Also been done up to look like RD200A not B. That's the paint job of my 74 in Virginia Gold
See SupeRDel thread on RD200 models
https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=650.0

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2019, 08:10:07 AM »
Give NSR NICK a shout for seals don't use scambits ones, they are rubbish.You were right to not take off resivoir, they have a really fine thread and never seem to seal when you put back on.  The larger master cylinder is probably off an xs650 which had twin discs.I have a couple myself.They look the same but are larger.Do you know the girls had ten seconds to fit decals on tanks originally and only did one side each :o :o
Rd 350 special can we get more than 70bnp?
Silver-dust 350b now with new owner
Barnfull of A/b stuff
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
 R1Z 250

Offline doggone1

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2019, 09:02:17 PM »
Thanks for the that ill get them fron nick

Offline doggone1

• Club Member