Author Topic: Fuel Tap (petcock) reserve filter  (Read 288 times)

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Fuel Tap (petcock) reserve filter
« on: June 14, 2019, 07:09:43 PM »
A fellow member provided me with an original tap. :)
All great except the sock - reserve filter had been damaged. To repair someone had shortened it and heavily soldered the cut end and added more, where the sock pushes into the tap body. I was concerned this would reduce flow and cause fuel starvation when on reserve.
I  had been pondering what to do when another member mentioned a plastic push in sock for a RD400. Visiting the suppliers site found they did another filter:-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Yamaha-Kawasaki-Suzui-PETROL-FUEL-TAP-FILTER-TUBE/291144216225?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
So I used a junior to hack the old sock off.
I drilled the tap sideways on, in a vice, so all swarf fell out of the hole, don't want to block the gallery.
Started with 5mm drill then 5.5mm, which brought the remains of the sock copper tube out.
Next 6mm, then 6.5mm, finally 7mm to a depth of 6mm. Why all these drills. Well doing this progressively keeps the hole concentric, reduces lobeing and I had greater control of the drill. The new hole is extremely close to the other tube, the main fuel standpipe but it worked.
Pushed the new sock in, nice push fit. Job a good un. Cost £4.80
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:07:16 AM by Astute Greaser »

Offline Adeyone

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • 2 Strokes do it twice as often!!!
Re: Fuel Tap (petcock) reserve filter
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 09:01:38 AM »
Always be careful when using a junior to hack anything !!!! ;D ;D

Seriously though, great tip, thanks.

Ady
Yamaha RD350 1973, 1 of first 700.
Lambretta Li 150 special, now 225cc TS1 with reed valve induction and expansion exhaust!
Honda ST70 Monkey bike, Now finished! FOR SALE!