Author Topic: Hi from Southampton  (Read 505 times)

Offline Split59

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
Hi from Southampton
« on: April 21, 2019, 05:38:50 PM »
Hi just joined the forum and the club, just waiting for my details to be updated on here to full member.
Got my first ever and long awaited RD 400 A couple of weeks ago. First ever  proper ride on it was the good Friday ride out. I had a great time though very nervous as hadn’t ridden a bike in a long time, plus first time out proper on the rd. everyone made me feel welcome and at ease even when in I nearly died of embarrassing when I thought the bike was playing up but when checked over by the team organising the ride I had made a big booboo and just gone into reserve (i won’t do that again). Here’s hoping to many more excellent ride ours in the future.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:54:00 PM by Paul Dawkins »

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Hi from Southampton
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 09:05:35 PM »
Welcome to the Club and the Forum
I hope you enjoyed the Good Friday ride out and that you enjoy many more miles throughout the year

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 06:41:58 AM »
Hi just joined the forum and the club, just waiting for my details to be updated on here to full member.
Got my first ever and long awaited RD 400 A couple of weeks ago. First ever  proper ride on it was the good Friday ride out. I had a great time though very nervous as hadn’t ridden a bike in a long time, plus first time out proper on the rd. everyone made me feel welcome and at ease even when in I nearly died of embarrassing when I thought the bike was playing up but when checked over by the team organising the ride I had made a big booboo and just gone into reserve (i won’t do that again). Here’s hoping to many more excellent ride ours in the future.

Welcome.

We all love, and have our own, "muppet" stories!!

One of my own, similar to yours but possibly worse, involved a gorgeous Suzuki GS1000S special that I had back in 1983/4.

The Suzuki petrol tap had 3 settings, not just the usual 2. Ordinarily it would be vacuum fed, as opposed to gravity, although to be honest now I can't remember how the reserve setting worked. Anyway, as long as the bike was well set up it would start on 'vacuum' without any problem. Being a hard up office wallah I probably didn't spend as much on servicing it as I probably should have done and so after a while it stopped starting on the button.

I'll repeat the point now, I was fairly skint at the time! I then spent the next couple of months bump starting it, and it wasn't a light bike either. I can't remember how I found out, but the third petrol tap setting was 'prime' (ie gravity) and all I had to do to get it to start was turn it to that setting! We all live and learn!

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 07:54:14 PM »
Welcome to the club and good to see you Good Friday...

My next one is the Isle of Wight ride in September. I only do the bit to the docks and the Isle of Wighters that were on the good Friday run take over from the island.  Its a excellent day if the weather is good.

https://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=57324.0

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:56:30 PM by Paul Dawkins »
Southampton

Offline Kickstart

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • RD's ARE FOR LIFE, NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 09:36:25 PM »
welcome to the club and up the Saints  ;D
A/C HOOLIGAN

Offline mts

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 05:11:49 PM »
glad to here theres another RD on the patch  im flying the blue haze flag in netley  :)

We will all have to get together and go down the white s wan   and line them all up like back in the day ...and for old times sake we can throw someone in the river  :P :PS
mind you theres a  couple of  southampton members on here who if they took all their RDs in one go would just about take up all the parking space  not naming any names of course  8) 8) 8)

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 05:43:47 PM »
Reminds me of when, back in the day, we'd all pile down on our bikes to see whichever punk/metal band was playing at the Gaumont (now the Mayflower, of course) and park amongst the great row of bikes opposite. Hand your helmet over and get a raffle ticket back!

Same at Poole Arts Centre as well.

I gave up going to the bigger venues when the Damned played at Poole and everyone turned up in BMW 3 Series, Ford Sierras etc.

Offline mts

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 08:52:06 AM »

ah the Gaumont   when you could see a top world famous  group  and get close enough to see them amd in many case actually smell them  great venue   many many happy memories

Offline RDJames

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »
Yes We went back stage with Ian Dury there after his gig yes very happy memories, he offered us a joint.  ;)
RDJames on Ebay

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/rdjames

Never take life too seriously, no one gets out alive anyway

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 04:37:59 AM »
Yes We went back stage with Ian Dury there after his gig yes very happy memories, he offered us a joint.  ;)

CV joint I assume  :D
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline mts

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 10:06:55 AM »
reckon he hit him with his rhythm stick    >:(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:11:12 AM by mts »

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 12:53:09 PM »
One more line like that and he'll have 3 Reasons To Be Cheerful!!