Author Topic: SGS Inspection  (Read 215 times)

Offline Doug_R5C

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
SGS Inspection
« on: April 01, 2019, 10:48:54 AM »
I waited nearly 3 weeks for my V5 and received an ominous buff letter on Friday, telling me an inspection was required and to phone SGS to arrange it.  It only took 5 minutes on a Monday morning to get through to a pleasant bloke, who took my details, outlined what was required, and told me that someone will get back to me within 5 days to arrange an appointment.

The bike must be complete, in a well-lit area with access to all sides, and myself or another over 18 year old must be present.  Fortunately I can work from home that day so it's not a problem, but not everyone will have this luxury.

Looking at some other forums, it seems to be a check of the frame and engine numbers, and the mileage, with a couple of photos to confirm it's condition.  I wonder if this will be used against people who fit usd forks and monoshock rear ends and then claim it's still an historic vehicle.

Anyway, now I'm waiting for the phone call, I wonder how long it will take.

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: SGS Inspection
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 04:14:26 PM »
That's interesting Doug and I'd be interested to know what criteria DVLA apply to decide whether or not an inspection is necessary. A mate on another forum got his V5 just through correspondence.

Maybe it's just the luck of the draw on who you deal with there.

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 06:00:43 PM »
Seems to be a random selection thingy, luck of the draw as you say.
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) fully restored 2018 on road
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 on road
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 ongoing project.

Offline Doug_R5C

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 10:45:58 AM »
I've just had a phonecall from SGS, and I'm booked in for next Wednesday.  It's a 20 minute inspection, taking photos, which is why they need a metre clearance on all sides.   

I'll be told by email if it's am or pm visit, and the inspector will phone me 30 minutes before arrival, which makes it easier to plan my day.

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »
Whilst not a legal requirement for most of the bikes referred to on this forum, I would guess that if we got our bike MoT'd and sent this to DVLA with our registration paperwork, then an inspection wouldn't be necessary.

I wonder if DVLA /SGS would bother with an inspection if the bike was on one of the Scottish islands, for example? Then again, that might be a good excuse for a "jolly". Or worse, they could insist on the bike being taken to an inspection centre on the mainland.

Let us know how it goes Doug.

Offline Doug_R5C

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 09:39:14 AM »
I received an email on Sunday, but the am/pm field was blank, so I called SGS first thing Monday morning.  Apparently a lot of people hadn't responded to the letter so they couldn't plan a route for the inspector, they told me an updated email would be sent at the end of Monday.

Monday evening I got the email, so I'm booked for tomorrow morning.

Offline Doug_R5C

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 08:13:25 PM »
I had the inspection today, quite straightforward, he took photos from all angles, including the mileage.  He also took photos of the engine number, frame number, and the Kawasaki sticker on the headstock that has the frame number on it.

He had to rub chalkdust onto the frame number to get a clear photo.   He said it's a common problem with frames that have been painted or powder-coated before the bike is registered, the numbers become less clear.

Anyway, he now sends the report and photos to the DVLA, and he reckons it takes ten days to two weeks for the V5 to arrive, so I'm back to waiting again.

Offline betty foRD

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 04:40:38 PM »
Good news, most others in same situation report similar outcome but I fully appreciate the ball ache and angst it causes..
Rev 'em till they rattle