Author Topic: Tank Sealer  (Read 456 times)

Offline BobV07662

• Newcomer
Re: Tank Sealer
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 10:04:48 PM »
I used the POR-15 three years ago and it's still leak free. To preserve the balance tubes I inserted vinyl coated wires and removed them after it cured.
Follow the directions and make sure it is absolutely dry and water free before the coating process. A heat gun works wonders here.
If I had to do over, I would have extended the coating up into the filler well in order to prevent any paint/gasoline issues.

Offline Colin Johnston

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • jonno400
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 10:13:13 PM »
POR15 turned up from Demon Tweeks - Oh look it comes from Frost but it is cheaper due to postage costs.
Warning
The Frost instructions that came with kit has errors. Somebody has edited to look pretty but cocked up.
Download the instructions from
https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-motorcycle-fuel-tank-repair-kit.html
Then it all makes sense. ;D

Presume blowing through with compressed air before hair dryer okay to remove water. Its home compressor, Peek rings, no oiler and filtered to remove water etc
Thank you Colin for cable tie idea to blank balance pipes  - The important info is to unblock before sealant set. How did you determine when nearly dry Colin. :)

Weather sounds awful for weekend so will wait for warm patch! :(

Cheers
-Mike
Don’t know if I can explain this correctly, when you pour the liquid in, it has the consistency of paint, but as it starts to set, it becomes much thicker & gloopy. At this point, you have to drain off excessive liquid in the tank, I used the hole of the petrol tap mount. As the liquid was draining I removed the cable ties, allowing some sealant to drain out & then inserting cable ties again to make sure balance tubes are clear.
I hope this helps you Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RD400c now on the road
RD250c/d/e project
YZF-R6
MT-09 Tracer
YZF-R3

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 10:52:05 AM »
For the balance pipes i used a couple of lengths of plastic strimmer cord and wrapped a bit of tape around the end to seal, only push in so level with bottom of tank as any excess will be covered in sealer and get wiped off as you pull the cord out, possibly blocking the pipe, if you know what i mean. I usually blow back up the pipe just to make sure its clear... ;) I think i pull the cord out after approx 1hr and never had a problem. Like Kevina says the POR15 kit leaves a good finish, i would definitely recommend it... :)

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 11:44:44 PM »
when I used sealers in a past life in order to remove the water from the tank, dry as much as you can, pour in half pint of meths and swish round, drain and dry again with air, finishing with warm air. meths mixes very well with water and due to its properties gets into all the nooks and crannies actively seeking out the water and drawing it into solution. The water will evaporate off along with the meths which should leave no residue.
I avoid sealers at all costs now, get in such a mess and its such a pain. Rust doesn't bother me, or the bikes as long as its not too bad.
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) fully restored 2018 on road
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 on road
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 ongoing project.