Author Topic: Expansion pipes  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Jeffw

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Expansion pipes
« on: February 11, 2019, 05:01:23 PM »
RD250E in progress
RD400E in progress but slower
RD250D restored

Offline Swainy3

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
Re: Expansion pipes
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »
I have pair of high speeds some were in good condition if your interested

Offline loneagle21

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 11:27:09 PM »
I just installed a set of JL street retros on my bike. What would you like to know?

Offline Poutie

• Dave
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 11:23:03 PM »
My higgspeeds turned up today, prefer the look of them myself
Dave

Bikes
Yamaha rd350b
Suzuki GT750b

Offline CBM

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 05:44:51 AM »
Let's see some pics once you've fitted them Dave  :)

Offline Bodgeit1

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 07:42:01 AM »
go you need to do any thing to the carb settings for the higgspeed pipes

Offline loneagle21

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 07:32:32 PM »
Here's a pic of the street retros on my bike. I'm still working on getting the mains dialed in.

Offline striker1423

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • She rips! Look at her chooch!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 02:50:55 AM »
What's your mains at now? I was seriously considering these pipes just cause I wont have to modify a thing to install them. Also what kinda power are you getting out of them? Anything noticeable?

Offline loneagle21

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 05:54:55 PM »
I just got the pipes on and I haven't had enough time to get it tuned correctly. I'm using the stock air box with a Uni foam filter. I increased the pilot to 27.5 and adjusted the airscrew at 1 turn. The needle is in the stock position at #3. I rode it around town and the part throttle performance is nice and the plugs are the correct color. Above 3/4 throttle it doesn't have any power. I had a #155 main jet in there when I rode it. I figured with a stock air box, I wouldn't have to increase the main jet very much. I'm going to try a #200 main and work down from there. I'll be doing some plug chops in a few days once the snow melts.

Offline Poutie

• Dave
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 03:20:42 PM »
To answer the question on re-jetting for higgspeed, I do not know yet (they say not) but Richie my mechanic has a rolling road so will be setting them up for me and i will let you know. I am currently running 105 main, 25 pilot and 5L3 needles in the 522 carbs (ones with tubes from bottom of float bowl). I am running an unbaffled filter, I know it should be baffled but on dyno it ran well with unbaffled - I have both so have the luxury of being able to try both.

It runs as sweet as a nut at the moment and makes 34bhp at back wheel as it has been ported and has stan stephens reed blocks.

I will post a picture when i have them on but the big difference to jl is there is no "end can" but you have to lose centre stand.
Here is a picture of them held up against bike.
Dave

Bikes
Yamaha rd350b
Suzuki GT750b

Offline loneagle21

• Newcomer
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »
Great looking pipes!

Offline Poutie

• Dave
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 09:18:01 PM »
Thanks pal
Dave

Bikes
Yamaha rd350b
Suzuki GT750b

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 10:36:23 PM »
Do not expect great power increases from these pipes, they are designed to fit on road bike with little or no modification. If you want power increases you have to go more radical with porting, ignition, fuel systems and exhaust systems all matched. They do look good and sound great which is what most people fit them for.I have been experimenting with my special for many years and have been chasing the dream of having a tractable bike without flat spots and pull your arms out performance. last dyno run saw 60bhp but still need to sort midrange. Obviously this was all done with the Tzr's with powervalves,carbs and ignition systems. 60bhp was easily found from the RZ1 250 :) Oh, as a footnote.Be prepared to spend an awful lot of time,effort and money on this particular dream ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:38:55 PM by stukey »
Rd 350 special can we get more than 70bnp?
Silver-dust 350b now with new owner
Barnfull of A/b stuff
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
 R1Z 250

Offline Kickstart

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • RD's ARE FOR LIFE, NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 07:01:40 PM »
Do not expect great power increases from these pipes, they are designed to fit on road bike with little or no modification. If you want power increases you have to go more radical with porting, ignition, fuel systems and exhaust systems all matched. They do look good and sound great which is what most people fit them for.I have been experimenting with my special for many years and have been chasing the dream of having a tractable bike without flat spots and pull your arms out performance. last dyno run saw 60bhp but still need to sort midrange. Obviously this was all done with the Tzr's with powervalves,carbs and ignition systems. 60bhp was easily found from the RZ1 250 :) Oh, as a footnote.Be prepared to spend an awful lot of time,effort and money on this particular dream ;)

at last someone with a sensible reply. our bikes are 40 yrs old now and no matter what you do to them it will not turn it into an R1. back in the day when the engines were new and fresh, changing the original setup always had it's down side.
A/C HOOLIGAN

Offline DVSRD

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 08:40:49 PM »
I guess most realize that there is no single, bolt on mod that will increase performance dramatically. However, I do believe any older bike can be improved in many areas, also with regards to exhaust systems.
For RDs, most aftermarket pipes are half the weight of the stockers, and can in some cases improve ground clearance in corners, at the expense of removing the center stand. Also, most aftermarket pipes will allow the use of longer shock absorbers and/ or longer swing arms, that may be beneficial to comfort/ handling/ stability. And a well designed pipe will alter the power characteristics to some degree.
I have no experience with Lomas pipes, but I do have a pair of large can Allspeeds that I bought in 1983, and a pair of stainless Higgspeeds I bought 2 years ago.
The Allspeeds definitely made my 350 faster back in the 80s, while I haven't run the Higgspeeds on the road yet, just briefly started the bike with them. They were just too noisy as they came. So the plan is to modify them, with an internal stinger pipe, like the Allspeeds has, and a larger silencer tube (63mm OD instead of 51)
Another "issue" with Higgspeed pipes is the head pipe diameter. It is much larger than the Allspeeds, and the exhaust port ID. So much larger that I plan to cut out a wedge to make them tapered. And at the same time make new flanges/mounting stubs for them. I suspect that the sudden diameter increase is not good for power...........
The Higgspeed pipes are otherwise nicely made and have a very good finish, so I do still find it worthwhile to tweak them to my personal preferences.

However, my new personal favourite is the Japanese "Fukui" pipes. I would have bought them instead of the Higgspeed ones, if I had been aware of them. Extremely nice welds, and a nicer look with less upkick in the back.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:10:24 PM by DVSRD »
2x 1974 RD350, 1977 XS650, 1995 Ducati M600/680/39FCR etc, 1997 Ducati ST2 944/ DP exhaust/OZ wheels/etc