Author Topic: Fork Dismantling  (Read 495 times)

Offline hearny66

• Newcomer
Fork Dismantling
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:53 PM »
Im in the process of dismantling my forks on a RD 350B and the allen bolt on the bottom is spinning. Any recommendations on how to stop the rod inside the fork spinning

Offline chrisg.007

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Fork Dismantling
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 07:59:19 PM »
Several threads on this. Make a tool from a brush handle to prevent everything spinning or I used a air gun to remove the bolt.
Growing old is compulsery, growing up is optional.

RD400D
RD250E  350 conversion
Suzuki X7
RD400E

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 08:52:25 PM »
Yes you will need a tool unless you get lucky and undo the allen bolt with a shock loading thus overcoming inertia of internal components.

first pic is whats inside, note top of casting with two flats, make up tool from ally is easisest with filed hex top end which will accept your socket extentions.

like a complete twit instead of just holding the top assembly with the tool on assembky and doing up at the allen end I did the reverse and snapped the casting, see pic two. tighten only at allen bolt end, just use tool to hold. see pic 2 . no matter, its not important, spring sits here. but very anoying.

pic 3 shows another option, made up another tool to fit the internal pin you can see as top of casting was damaged. used 8mm long stainless rod with slot filed in end.

I can give you pics and dinensions if you want, need to get into garage!
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) fully restored 2018 on road
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 on road
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 ongoing project.

Offline CBM

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:07:32 AM »
There's various sizes of damper rod tools here which make the job a doddle - https://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk/acatalog/suspension_tools.html

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 08:21:33 AM »
As has been suggested there are a lot of previous posts on here regarding this topic. Worth doing a search as there are photos of a socket modified for doing this

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Online ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 09:51:10 AM »
Im in the process of dismantling my forks on a RD 350B and the allen bolt on the bottom is spinning. Any recommendations on how to stop the rod inside the fork spinning
Hi... no need to post the same question in different sections of the forum, members will see it and you will get a better response if it is the correct section  cheers  Paul
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline hearny66

• Newcomer
Fork Dismantling
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 04:06:58 PM »
Success, I used a 16mm bolt grip removal socket. It fits spot on and grips the end of the rod. I just used two extension bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cooky1961

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
Hello
I used a brush handle with success after advice from one of the members.

Paul

Offline KGR33N

• KGR33N
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 08:47:39 PM »
Yes you will need a tool unless you get lucky and undo the allen bolt with a shock loading thus overcoming inertia of internal components.

first pic is whats inside, note top of casting with two flats, make up tool from ally is easisest with filed hex top end which will accept your socket extentions.

like a complete twit instead of just holding the top assembly with the tool on assembky and doing up at the allen end I did the reverse and snapped the casting, see pic two. tighten only at allen bolt end, just use tool to hold. see pic 2 . no matter, its not important, spring sits here. but very anoying.

pic 3 shows another option, made up another tool to fit the internal pin you can see as top of casting was damaged. used 8mm long stainless rod with slot filed in end.

I am about to start stripping both legs and would appreciate a pic/dimensions if its not too much trouble. Regards Kerry
Yamaha RD 250 C (1976)
Yamaha RD 250 C (1976)
Kawasaki GPZ 1100 (1983)
Yamaha XJ 600 N Diversion (1995)
Ducati Hypermotard SP (2013)

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 11:50:38 PM »

I am about to start stripping both legs and would appreciate a pic/dimensions if its not too much trouble. Regards Kerry

Hi Kerry, pics shown are for the early rd350, not sure about other variations of forks on the rds but should be similar except prob the e/f models.

Pic one, the ally tool I made up, odd shape as it was from some previously turned scrap but basically slot one end and something to drive it with the other end 25 diameter.

pic 2 just a notch on some stainless rod to pick up internal roll pin, not good practice but pin is strong and wont be damaged if you hold it this way. do your forks have this pin though?
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) fully restored 2018 on road
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 on road
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 ongoing project.

Offline KGR33N

• KGR33N
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 08:34:44 PM »
Its an RD 250 C 1976 so I will have a more detailed look at the manuals.  I just assumed that they would be a similar problem.  Thanks for the help, much appreciated. Regards Kerry.
Yamaha RD 250 C (1976)
Yamaha RD 250 C (1976)
Kawasaki GPZ 1100 (1983)
Yamaha XJ 600 N Diversion (1995)
Ducati Hypermotard SP (2013)