Author Topic: petrol tank paint and renovation yds7  (Read 815 times)

Offline azzy

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
petrol tank paint and renovation yds7
« on: January 16, 2019, 01:27:21 PM »
Hello all,
my YDS7 project is starting to take shape nicely and now ready for a important part of the re build petrol tank,oil tank headlight etc painting. The tank needs work inside it looks like it has been coated once but a pretty piss poor attempt. Had loads of companies suggested I am Manchester based but can get the parts anywhere in the country. Been told about petrol tank restoration Norwich anyone had dealings with these and who would you reccomend?
Thanks Azzy

Offline teebowbusablaster

• Club Member
  • Newcomer

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
Re: petrol tank paint and renovation yds7
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 01:49:14 PM »
Hi and welcome azzy.

You might be better getting a used tank as the liners are very hard to get out. If you Google the subject there will be all sorts of debates about the best way to remove it. Thing is you don't know what brand it is so how do you know which method to use to remove it? POR15 sealer is not the same as Kreeme for example.

Also why not test the tank for leaks before removing it. If the tank isn't leaking just leave it.

You've not put up any pics of your project but if you want to paint it same as original it will either be Candy Yellow or Candy Gold and on the tank it'll be black with the gold or white with the yellow.

The main problem here is that the finish was a candy style which means translucent colour (yellow or gold) over a fine silver base and as far as I know you can't get candy paint easily thatisn't 2K and that's a whole new subject re health and safety that I won't go into.

Most people will tell you to go to RS Paints for the candy colours and that is very expensive. About 10 years ago it was £63 for a pint of candy for my CS3E and I wasn't impressed with the colour match or the consistency of the paint. They will also say you have to use their silver basecoat so that will be another £60 I guess.

I'm talking about paint to use in a spraygun. Not sure what they charge for aerosols. The paint they send you won't be 2K so it's at least safe for DIY guy to use   
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline azzy

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
Re: petrol tank paint and renovation yds7
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 10:47:30 AM »
Thanks all
great help as always