Author Topic: The slightly ambitious drag bike project...  (Read 5900 times)

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
The slightly ambitious drag bike project...
« on: December 12, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »
I've finally got enough parts to start this ever so slightly bonkers idea. What with the little RD almost done and Elsie needing an entire engine I thought I'd try and find a frame to bolt my growing collection of forks, wheels etc onto. Was looking on eBay every night for something but they were all too expensive for me until a drag bike frame popped up with an opening bid of £40, RD250C I think he said. Collection only, so I contacted him and he said delivery was £25. I bid £41....and won it! The only bidder. As you can see the rake has been altered by heating and bending the frame a tad...and rad mounts fitted so an LC engine (or whatever) can go in at a later date. A LOT later date lol.

Then I get a call from Peter and he says he has an engine I can use, but it needs cleaning on the inside. A deal was dealt and he popped over yesterday. With his help (ok ok mainly all him) we split the engine and yanked out the crank. I am now cleaning it all up and I'll nail it back together later on. The frame as it transpires is a RD400 Daytona one...worth considerably more than the £40 I paid for it!

I have a YZF 125 rear end for this and a Mito front and they bolt straight on. Probably going to get rear shock mounts welded to the swing arm and have a twin shock set up rather than monoshock.

I also have some foot pegs, a choice of 2 seats and a Mito fairing...might use the top part only we'll see how it goes. Will probably use the Gamma carbs on this bike for now as the LC ain't going anywhere and the Allspeeds I got from Dusty. Need a Mito front wheel or any small ish front end and a fuel tank. Would like an RD one but again anything will do and it only needs to hold a small amount of petrol. I plan to enter the Super Twin GT bike class, basically for all twin bikes and you set the time you think you'll do the 1/4 mile in (half an hour?) then race against similar machinery. You need a licence (£48) and a doc's certificate saying you are fit (sorta) and of sound mind (doubt I'll pass then) then you get to demonstrate you can actually ride (yes!) and do burn outs etc and a 1/8 mile run (this is not at the doctor's btw) then after 2 actual races you get a full competitors licence. Also need racing leathers (check) a BSA approved lid (check) leather boots and gloves (check) and the willingness and ability to make a total arse of yourself (check).

More to come as I attempt to rebuild the engine and source the parts!

Alex

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:26:15 PM by kawazonkey »

Online tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: The slightly ambitious drag bike project...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 11:51:13 PM »
Cool Alex  8) 

I look forward to posts on this 1

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 12:00:01 AM »
Cheers Butt. (stifles laugh). Thing is I am making this one a bit harder on myself as I want it to have a day time MOT. Peter did laugh and said 'it won't do roundabouts'. Very true so I will avoid roads with roundabouts...or any kind of sharp bend lol.

Online tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 10:36:28 AM »
Cheers Butt. (stifles laugh). Thing is I am making this one a bit harder on myself as I want it to have a day time MOT. Peter did laugh and said 'it won't do roundabouts'. Very true so I will avoid roads with roundabouts...or any kind of sharp bend lol.

Your nuts Butt!   with a rake like that on the front end it should be a chopper, seen some RDLC choppers from Japan on Utube, good luck with it Butt, I eagerly await updates on this 1.

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 08:32:08 PM »
Yes sort of like that one but with the engine mounted as is...ie normal lol.

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:55:52 PM »
I've started to clean up the crank and the engine internal casing. Going to finish it with a Dremel polishing part.

And the Mito front end. It needs a tidy!

YZF rear end. That wheel is manky but I can sort it out. It has new bearings in it so shot blasting is a no-no.

Been offered a couple of tanks now at very fair prices. Not sure to go for a cafe racer look or something totally modern. The seats I have are pretty trick and there is that Mito fairing as well...however that adds more weight. So perhaps a minimalist seat, no fairing or just a tiny one would be a better choice.

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 09:56:54 PM »

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 08:03:36 PM »
Following some sage advice I left the crank in paraffin and then dried it. Doused in oil and all good to go and back in the casing.

Saw Dusty the other day and he has this TZ ally tank I wanted to see if it fits...

Like a glove.

Better than this...

So if I go for a period tank I need a period seat. The ones I have are far to modern so I'll keep my eyes peeled for on. Also borrowed an LC front wheel (cheers Dusty). Had to remove the discs to get it on but I almost have a rolling chassis now, just need to clean up and paint the rear wheel. I have a couple of tyres to go on that and I'm hoping a 150 section will squeeze on!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 08:13:16 PM »
Still waiting to see a different tank and then I can decide what one to use!

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 09:32:28 PM »
Technically I think there’s a difference between a rolling chassis and a chassis that rolls  :D
But to have it mobile and to be able to see how it sits is defo a step in the right direction.
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 07:48:38 PM »
Got some cans of spray paint from the local pound shop...I wanted to see what the frame would look like in red. I like it so later on down the line it may (or may not) get powder coated. Respray cost a whopping £2...

Still torn between a classic look or something more modern. The little seat was donated by Dusty (muchos gracias amigo) and the HUGE one donated by Peter (danke!).

With the TZ tank on it works nicely, but I do have another tank heading this way, a smaller curvier one and I'll see what that looks like with the small seat...

Whatever happens both tanks are going to be used eventually and that ally TZ tanks is the business!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 07:49:25 PM »

Online tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 09:06:32 PM »

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 10:55:04 PM »
The engine is going back together. I had to take the crank out for a second time as I neglected to spin the bearings whilst it was in the paraffin as Peter reminded me!  So, re cleaned, soaked in Motul, back in, sealed and bolted up.

I need to get some longer allen bolts but so far so good. The barrels got a damn good clean too...

Then the bolts. One done, seven to go lol!