Author Topic: NEW PARTS RE-MANUFACTURE  (Read 577 times)

chrisg.007 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
NEW PARTS RE-MANUFACTURE
« on: December 05, 2018, 08:28:42 PM »
I have seen time and time again, people saying that someone should re-manufacture certain parts for their RD'S. Especially the rare bits. It would be interesting to here from those  who actually work in engineering and manufacturing industries, just how much it actually costs to design, tool and manufacture even simple parts.
Rd 350 special can we get more than 70bnp?
Silver-dust 350b now with new owner
Barnfull of A/b stuff
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
 R1Z 250

Offline Phil Featherstone

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: NEW PARTS RE-MANUFACTURE
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 09:52:40 PM »
give a list of parts your thinking of. ;)
PFP Phil
www.pfpservices.co.uk
RD200 2R7 Red NEW build 8years and counting collecting parts
RD200 2R7 Resto in progress
RD125 1976 project

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 10:00:28 PM »
I've made a new plastic tang to replace my broken one on the LC seat. I used a 50p frisbee from a charity shop (just for the thick plastic).

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 11:25:39 PM »
Lets start with an easy one. Baffled air-filters. A service part that sells for up to £80 on evilbay for genuine one, where as an unbaffled from norbo is i think £15
Barnfull of A/b stuff
 R1Z 250

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 05:46:45 AM »
Jonny Krause is already doing this in India.  Then you get the much knocked Yambits parts . Cos thats where Dave at Yambits gets his bits. I was chatting to him once he had a part remanufactured in the uk. And no one bought it . In spite of everyone asking for it

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 08:24:48 AM »
And there lies the problem.There are a lot of people who want re-manufactured to Yamaha spec, but expect to pay 1970's prices.I spoke to someone about this and he said it could cost ten grand to tool up for even simple parts and who in their right mind would take the chance.It reminds me of the piston debarcle a few years ago.When the guys at PJME had air-cooled spec pistons made.they invested (i think he said £30,000) only for the missinformed to claim they were just 4lo pistons re-boxed.That could have bankrupted them.The guys at Yambits get a lot of flak on here and some of their parts are not ideal.At the end of the day.A lot of members bikes would not be together if it were not for them.I would have thought it prudent to work as a group together with them to improve certain parts and get others re-manufactured.Bearing in mind that they are a business and need to make a profit to keep supplying us.I wonder if it would be an idea to put together a list of parts that are unobtainable but also have a sustainable sales future and give them advanced orders for those parts. It would take a leap of faith for many but maybe the only way forward.It might even have a knock on effect in when those unobtainable parts that many are hoarding become available again. That they come back into the market as their percieved value starts going down
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 08:39:41 AM by stukey »
Barnfull of A/b stuff
 R1Z 250

Offline Phil S

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 05:10:03 PM »
Hi Neil,

As you say a list of parts and commitment would be needed, without which there is ho business case for investment. Yambits allready do many parts that are fit for purpose and some were the quality could be better, the service provided from them is excellent and without business like Yambits we would struggle.

RD250C and RD400C 1976

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 07:53:19 PM »
I am pretty amazed at the range of parts available for the air cooled 350 on the yambits site, in addition to stuff in the u.s. H.V. cycle for instance, add this to stuff still available from Yamaha, i.e. fowlers we are very lucky indeed! Bikes of this age are fairly basic, relatively speaking and a lot of stuff can be made at home with average workshop tooling. But yes you are right things such as crankcases, wheel hubs, tinware, etc no longer available so we make do and mend I guess. In a pervesrs way I find it part of the fun of restoration and fixing up having to hunt worldwide for parts. But yes wouldn't it be great if everything was still available from Yamaha at 70's prices in clean labled plastic bags thus knowing you could trust the quality and fit!
What really bugs me is things like my Bosch circular saw and garden muncher, only a few years old and parts have gone obsolete allready, dosn't anyone fix anything anymore instead of throwing it out?  >:(

oh and yes an unbaffled air filter for the early 350 would be nice.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 07:56:06 PM by Barnett »
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) nearly finished!
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 being ridden
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 in bits

Offline Ozhammer

• Ozhammer
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 10:31:43 PM »
As much as companies like Yambits do need to be more appropriately recognised by some, I am sorry to say that we are still a long way behind the curve compared to the Suzuki Vintage Parts programme. That meant is was able to order things like new genuine exhausts and other parts for my X7 at a reasonable prices and know they would be the correct specs.
2 strokes are all I need!

'74 S3
'75 CB400-4
'78 RD250E
'78 RD400E
'79 RD400F
'79 RD400G
'81 GT250EX X7
'81 RD350LC
‘83 KE175D3
'86 RD350F2

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 11:32:07 PM »
Maybe as a club we could approach Yamaha to see what the chances are  :-\
Barnfull of A/b stuff
 R1Z 250

Offline Ozhammer

• Ozhammer
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 07:48:38 AM »
Well Suzuki must be making money out of their programme surely, or why else do it?  ???
2 strokes are all I need!

'74 S3
'75 CB400-4
'78 RD250E
'78 RD400E
'79 RD400F
'79 RD400G
'81 GT250EX X7
'81 RD350LC
‘83 KE175D3
'86 RD350F2

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 01:12:40 PM »
I think Suzuki still had the tooling which enabled them to remanufacture parts. I don't think this is the case with Yamaha, otherwise I'm sure they would be doing the same

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 08:34:16 PM »
Yamaha are producing the front mudguuards again , but i have heard on this forum that some are a bit iffy , and the price is high, and there is someone making an acceptable pattern part at nealry half the price ,Dave at yambits was a member of this forum , and after having to pack up work to bring up his children a when his wife died , he started researching where to get hold of parts and started selling them , the rst as they say is history,

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 08:38:27 PM »
Did a lot of the tooling for the 350 go India for the Ragdoot?
Now thats not in production anymore where did the tooling go? scrapped?
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) nearly finished!
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 being ridden
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 in bits

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 10:55:55 PM »