Author Topic: Xmas is coming remember 1973?  (Read 334 times)

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
Xmas is coming remember 1973?
« on: October 20, 2018, 08:48:28 AM »
I still have one of the black and Decker drills in working order. The last ones they made without built in obsolence I reckon

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Xmas is coming remember 1973?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »
I worked in Halfords Burton on Trent part-time after school then.  Sold lots of that stuff.  The range was pretty good then, even sold exchange car engines like Ford X-flow and BMC A series. Many people did their own engine changes.  I rekon Halfords made most on pushbikes then though, mostly Raleigh (made in Nottingham). 

5port
5port

Offline davecumbria

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »
You think RD Prices are crazy? a good Mk2 Chopper is now £600+ a Minter is a grand, a Good mark 1 is a Grand Starting and upward for the tall frame version  and also the   "Girly", don't even think about a Chopper Sprint for less than £1800 :o
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
I had a 5 speed purpley pinky colour one, had it until the late 90s or was it early 90s when some toe rag stole it, that would be worth some money today.

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 12:37:48 PM »

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »
I worked in Halfords Burton on Trent part-time after school then.  Sold lots of that stuff.  The range was pretty good then, even sold exchange car engines like Ford X-flow and BMC A series. Many people did their own engine changes.  I rekon Halfords made most on pushbikes then though, mostly Raleigh (made in Nottingham). 

5port
Engine changes where reasonably simple then , undo bolts and a couple of wires lift engine out change ancillaries over lift back in  reconnect and start up ,  now you need a computer and degree in electronics to set em up , and their is an electricians nightmare of wires connected to everything 
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

Offline wolfheze

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 02:48:19 PM »
I had a new MK1 chopper for Christmas 1970. Rode it into the ground and dumped it on wasteland  when the frame broke for the umpteenth time