Author Topic: Sorn rules  (Read 127 times)

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Sorn rules
« on: October 04, 2018, 09:48:29 PM »
You learn something new every day, after receiving a new V5 for my 250f frame and engine casings (old one lost by a previous owner over 20yrs ago)  i got a letter back from dvla saying " a sorn only applies to a vehicle that was taxed on or after 31st Jan 1998, as your vehicle has not been taxed since 1990 you do not need to make a sorn"    ;)

However, i received another letter today 3 wks later (a red one) saying "you must tax or sorn your vehicle"   :D

Rang dvla tonight, they said " a sorn only applies to a vehicle that was taxed on or after 31st Jan 1998, as your vehicle has not been taxed since 1990 you do not need to make a sorn, ignore the red letter"   ::)

Offline Angel Grinder

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Sorn rules
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
Yes, I've had ongoing issues with DVLA about this. I even threatened to sue them for harrassment if they did it again, then they did it again.

The trouble is, when you receive that red letter, you can't really afford to ignore it so you have to make time to phone them and wait in their queue to speak to someone, only to be told not to worry about it. But it's a pain it's the arris and it costs you time and money.

At least they're now sending a letter explaining that SORN doesn't apply but they really need to get themselves sorted out. After all, it's only 20 years since the SORN system started!!! :-[ :-[ >:(