Author Topic: Hello from Lincolnshire  (Read 458 times)

Offline Dorasnora

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
Hello from Lincolnshire
« on: August 31, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »
Hiya

Have been on the FB page since I got my bike in June, and have now joined the club proper as well as signing up on here.

Have had bikes on and off since 1985 and my much loved Honda CB100n, ending with a Kawasaki Gpz500s in 2000.
Been half heartedly looking for about 10 years, couldn't decide what I wanted so didn't get anything.
Early June I stumbled across the bike I then bought at Newark Autojumble. Bit of a chance, zero knowledge of 2 strokes but liked the riding position and I can touch the ground as well as push it.

So what did I get? A 1971 YDS7 =D
So far, new battery, new tyres and about 400 miles. Last owner did about 100 a year on it!

Sourced new side panel, headlight bracket and oil tank on ebay, so ready if needed (though I need yellow and the panel and tank are orange... Looked yellow in the picture! Anyone want to swap?! )

Got talking to a chap at the Superbikestore (near Boston) Bike night last month, who also had a YDS7 there. We swapped numbers and he has offered help, advice, and possibly spares!

Loving being back on 2 wheels, heading to the Peterborough Classic show on Sunday.

Sue :-)

Offline Penno

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Hello from Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 01:58:49 PM »
Welcome Sue
there are one or two members on here from Lincolnshire, although never met in person. All very helpful with advice and point you in right direction.
I am useless at mechanical work so cannot give any advice and riding is currently limited as caring for my Mum.
However as above welcome in and hope you enjoy the bike. The Wolds has some good roads and sure you would plenty of interest at Willingham Woods or just dropping in at Cadwell on a track day.
RD400F 1979

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »
Welcome Sue,
A great choice of bike  8) although my opinion is slightly biased as I picked the same model.After a few fun and games getting it how I want it no regrets at all as it now gets me to all types of places and a lot of people seem to like it and make supporting comments which is nice and very humbling.
So I wish you the best of luck with whatever stage you are at with the bike and it will be worth the effort. ;)
Also if the parts you bought are a more orange tone than yellow, they are possibly from a YR5.If I can help in any way don't hesitate to ask.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:49:59 PM by Captain Scarlet »

Offline Monkey

• Monkey
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 04:51:50 PM »
Hi Sue,

Whereabouts in Lincs are you? A few of us are meeting up on 30th Sept for a day out and will be passing through Stamford if you fancied meeting us there for part (or all) of it. You'd be very welcome to come along.

Alan
Member No 163
250D lived and then went bang.
430 Project - gone to a better home
250E Hasn't worked since I improved it

Offline Rimby_ding_ding

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 08:06:59 PM »
Hi Sue, firstly a very warm welcome the guys in the club both on and off here are all very knowledgable and a great help if required. Picked up lots of tips and good sources of parts on here. Membership is well worth it. Woodies at Ancaster is also a good meet on Mondays and very popular, about 20 miles from Boston I guess. Maybe bump unto you at one of the local meet. Steve
Membership no. 1746
Rd250f
Goldwing Ltd
Speed Triple

Offline T reg angst

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • Nottingham, England
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »
Hi Sue, firstly a very warm welcome the guys in the club both on and off here are all very knowledgable and a great help if required. Picked up lots of tips and good sources of parts on here. Membership is well worth it. Woodies at Ancaster is also a good meet on Mondays and very popular, about 20 miles from Boston I guess. Maybe bump unto you at one of the local meet. Steve

Me and a couple of mates, keep meaning to pop over to Woodies on a mon night..... 

Offline ggreen1959

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
Be sure to get your bike up and fit for the run to Derby next year for the annual club rally at Darley Dale, the Derby Rugby club.  :)
Just keep riding.

Offline Ozhammer

• Ozhammer
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 04:44:27 AM »
Welcome Sue, hopefully you will find classic two stroke ownership an involving and enjoyable experience.

Issues with these sorts of bikes will undoubtedly arise but that’s all part of the experience and there are some incredibly knowledgeable and helpful folks on this forum, so be sure to ask any questions you need to.
2 strokes are all I need!

'74 S3
'75 CB400-4
'78 RD250E
'78 RD400E
'79 RD400F
'79 RD400G
'81 GT250EX X7
'81 RD350LC
‘83 KE175D3
'86 RD350F2

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:29:49 PM »
Welcome Sue , just catching up with the forum , have fun with the DS7 ,
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"