Author Topic: buying from Yahoo Japan auction/Buyee  (Read 362 times)

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
buying from Yahoo Japan auction/Buyee
« on: July 12, 2018, 12:19:56 PM »
Hi folks.

Am pretty sure I'm not the only one who's thought Japan must be a good source of spares for old Japanese bikes but you never see stuff from there on Ebay. Well there's some NOS stuff popping up (for more recent machines such as CB125TDC) but nothing I can see for 70s bikes and never any used stuff.

Well I set about making a token purchase to see what was involved and it seems to be going ok. Here's what I did...

• search auction site, just like Ebay, after working out what your machine was called in Japan. eg AS3 was AX125 over there
  • register with Buyee. they act like an intermediary and will arrange shipping etc
  • when you see an item you want to bid on it will probably say the item is blocked and you need to ask Buyee to unblock it for you to bid. you simply click a button to do this
  • next thing you'll get is an email from Buyee telling you that you can't bid on this for the following stock reasons. one being 'other'!
  • you can then reply to email and ask them to review the decision. I was amazed when I got reply which means at least it isn't just a machine generating the emails
  • if they agree it's shipable they will unblock it and you can bid
  • if you win auction money comes straight out your Paypal including fees to Buyee. you therefore have to have sufficient money in bank for auction ending as there's no waiting period. no shipping is charged at this stage
  • a few days later you'll get an email from Buyee saying package is ready to ship. I'm guessing it has been physically received by them at this stage. don't know who pays for shipping from seller to Buyee
  • no money comes out your account here. you are directed to your Buyee account to choose from several shipping options and have a full 30 days to choose/pay - pretty reasonable
  • the item I picked was a bag of used bolts and fittings from an AS3 and cost was £13.23 for that plus all the fees. Broken down as follows: item 1000yen (£7.16); Buyee fee 150yen (£1.02); payment fee 200yen (£1.36); plan fees 500yen (£3.40)
  • now I have a few shipping options from approx £13 to £26 for a package weighing 1.4kg which doesn't seem too crazy

So I'll let you know how it goes. Not sure if the fees would be same for a cheap or expensive item but if you were only paying £6 or £7 each time it's not too bad and the shipping also seems ok.

The main problem is with their prohibited items I think. I saw an SS50 tank for a few £s which is a steal but they said it might contain oil so it's no-can-do. I tried to explain wouldn't have any oil in it as it wasn't an oil tank but they probably mean fuel.

Here's a link to their shipping costs http://buyee.jp/help/yahoo/guide/shipping-fees
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 12:39:07 PM by Foy(notFox) »
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline rsvr1000

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Re: buying from Yahoo Japan auction/Buyee
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »
Thanks for this, I was looking the other week on the same site
GT250 X7,RD400, RD350 LC,CB50J, Multistrada 1200 S ,

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 10:33:59 PM »
Interesting! Thanks for the tip.

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • Club Magazine photographer, writer and editor.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:09:56 AM »
Other alternative is to make friends with another enthusiast you trust out there and get them to bid for you and post you items.

Method I have used to buy a few brochures.

Sold a couple of bits to a guy near Tokyo who turned out to be a English guy who lectured at a university
He had a Royal enfield out there
 --  Articles always needed

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »
Well I got my parcel from Japan. No dramas and despite picking the cheapest shipping method it came within a few days.

I didn't get any Customs charges from Royal Mail either. Not sure if this was just luck or that the shipper factors this in.  A bit like the Global Shipping Program (GPS) that some USA Ebay sellers use. Will check but I think it was just luck.

Anyway the P&P was £20.22 so all-in the box of bits costs me £33.48 which I'm fine with. I'll break it down further on my AS3 restoration thread but it's a strange feeling getting completely correct used parts for my bike from the Land of the Rising Sun more than 30 years after I found it.

As a 16 year old in rainy East Kilbride in the late 80s trying to get bits for a machine no-one had heard of if you'd said to me 'hey don't worry when you're nearly 50 you'll be able to get all the bits you need from a guy breaking one in Japan' I wouldn't have believed you lol

used parts direct from the country the bike was made in? only took 32 years to achieve

much like the buying fees the shipping comprises different parts. will need to convert this to £s

makes it sound like I bought my own stuff

£33.48 worth of bits and bobs for an AS3  8)

So that's my test case done. Next one will be to try and successfully buy a large or expensive or prohibited item. Like a wheel or XJR1300 cylinder-block or exhaust pipe. Not sure if that will be possible  :-\

I'm also not sure if you can leave feedback (as on Ebay) or contact the seller since you aren't actually logged onto the site-proper.

I was thinking if you could contact the seller and ask them to remove a word from listing (eg tank) it would stop the item coming up on the prohibited list. My box of bolts came up as prohibited but I made a fuss about that. Am sure there was no particular damage to the environment by sending them to me
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 01:50:20 PM by Foy(notFox) »

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 01:55:07 PM »
Other alternative is to make friends with another enthusiast you trust out there and get them to bid for you and post you items.

Method I have used to buy a few brochures.

Sold a couple of bits to a guy near Tokyo who turned out to be a English guy who lectured at a university
He had a Royal enfield out there

Well I suppose Buyee are the equivalent of a friend in Japan for me SuperRDel but your man would certainly be handy for awkward items. Can't get over that SS50 fuel tank for £7!

Would he consider buying a whole AS3 for £700 and shipping it over bit by bit? Like the Johnny Cash song  ;D

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
ooooo! ultra rare seat stay in that picture!
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) nearly finished!
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 being ridden
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 in bits

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 02:48:24 PM »
Yes Barnett

I did think about that as I seem to remember there was a thread on here some time ago about the difficulty people were having getting them and it got quite complex in that the bracket and bar differed between models so if you were getting a used one you might need to get one part off one machine and the other off another.

Bizarre as there must have been tons of them thrown away.

The stash is mostly bolts, screws, washers and nuts but there were a few other bits

L-R: cranckcase breather; seat stay; centre-stand link; fork-ear lower-seat; stop-switch bracket; throttle cable clip

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 06:58:56 PM »
ooooo! ultra rare seat stay in that picture!
Well spotted, I was looking at Graham's box of bits and trying to work out what was desirable

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 01:36:17 AM »
I forgot to say...

In my original post I wondered who paid for shipping from seller to Buyee. Well the buyer (me) pays for that when you pay the shipping to Buyee. It was broken down into 2 parts. Can't remember the split but will have the details somewhere