Author Topic: Olivers Mount Road racing  (Read 589 times)

Offline nuggs1000

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Olivers Mount Road racing
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:47:18 PM »
Just read the piece about Oliver's Mount and cancelling auto 66 licence
Quote from John Mcguiness  ( How has it got to this stage! Insane!!!  Shame it looks like we are going to lose it! I’ll never step foot in the place until I’m owed the few quid from last years gold cup! )
R1 2003

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Olivers Mount Road racing
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 03:11:00 PM »
I have received a email from Auto 66 at Olivers mount this morning regarding a meeting they have had and giving me 3 options to a plan to send back 1.For them to concentrate on further discussions with the council   2. To put all the advance ticket payments(including me and the wifes into a account to use at future meetings. 3. To put PMH Promotions into receivership so all equipment and monies go to the receivers.
The scarborough council blame Auto 66 saying the ACU have refused a license to race due to safety improvements not being completed,the council have now terminated the Auto 66 licence to operate at the venue.
I have spoken to Peter Hillaby (the Head of Organisation & Clerk of the Course)today and their version is of course very different.
They say the safety measures were met and when ever they received a letter or a visit the rules kept changing.they say the council gave no financial support over the years and PMH Promotions who have up till now absorbed the costs are now owed £250,000.Also rather candidly I was told they (AUTO 66)feel that the organisors/management at the Isle of Man were trying to grab control of the Venue and race meetings.They told me they were through their solicitors trying to still get the Barry Sheene weekend on at the end of July although this months "Cock of the north"meeting has been cancelled.
I have to send my choice of the 3 options by next wednesday 20th June and as I have sent money for advance tickets and paddock passes +money for camping and fees for parade laps for my YDS7 I think this is probably all lost to their solicitors wages especially as the previous race meetings that were cancelled have not yet issued refunds.
Its a shame that such a historic race venue as this can end up being in the centre of some sort of power struggle,who ever is at fault has done this with total disregard for the paying punters who keep the Road racing sport going.
The council side also stated that "the late cancellation of advertised events and the ongoing negative impact on the venues reputation,we have been left with no other choice to terminate the clubs licence to operate at the venue."
Their reputation with me and probably many others who have spent a large amount of time and money to come from  far and wide to support this venue and location have been further damaged because this should have been thrashed out in the closed season and not at the most damaging time right in the middle of race season.
Time will tell if who or what is really at fault and makes me certain i will try to support and visit more dependable meetings. >:(

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 07:16:41 PM by Captain Scarlet »

Offline nuggs1000

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Olivers Mount Road racing
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 05:04:07 PM »
The reason could be down to the race incident last when twelve spectators were injured - three seriously - after motorbikes twice left a race circuit in North Yorkshire yesterday , I race marshalled there 2 years ago and found Auto 66 , clueless on how to organise a meeting , the second of the two meetings we attended was called off after only a few races , when after a sidecar race , one of the sidecars had left oil on the circuit , they didn't have the right equipment for the clean up , and the rides in the end refused to race .
R1 2003