Author Topic: New MOT exemption rules on modified historic vehicles  (Read 548 times)

Online mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

Offline KGR33N

• KGR33N
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: New MOT exemption rules on modified historic vehicles
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 08:44:51 PM »
Just did mine last week. Very simple. Just waiting for document to be returned. Didnt realise it was exemption for the MoT AND the actual vehicle tax. Double bubble.
Yamaha RD 250 C (1976)
Yamaha RD 250 C (1976)
Kawasaki GPZ 1100 (1983)
Yamaha XJ 600 N Diversion (1995)
Ducati Hypermotard SP (2013)

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 10:14:19 PM »
Now that you are exempt from the MOT as well as the tax :)
Could you check your bikes status on the MOT database? My bike is taxed until early next year, but the MOT runs out next month and I am not sure whether it automatically becomes exempt or if I need to do "something"
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Online mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 10:35:33 PM »
I think it automatically becomes exempt when you declare it a historic vehicle

But when you go to the post office to tax it and re class it as a historic vehicle you will need to fill out a  V112 form and present with your application instread of an MOT certificate , they should be able to check insurance online but i would take a certificate just in case if you have one , the V112 form is downloadable here
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaration-of-exemption-from-mot
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:38:37 PM by mervin »
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

Online mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 10:46:47 PM »
I have just looked up the MOT status of a couple of my bikes , the RD250 that has not been on the road or moted for 4 years but is a 1977 bike  is saying  "no results returned" on the mot section the 1980 Z 650 whoch has not been taxed ot moted since 2016 come up as not  MOTed expired june 16th 2016

Offline KGR33N

• KGR33N
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 07:55:47 AM »
Not all of the people on the post office front counters know what they are doing, so best be prepared with the facts as they do have to be persuaded sometimes from my experience. Having said that the lady that dealt with my exemption flew through it. She implied that you still have to go through the motion of taxing every year but that it is free. Anyone know if this is correct ?

I took everything the dvla website asked for along but she didnt ask to see my insurance or MoT certificate and didnt want the V112 form as she must have been able to see all this on her screen ?

I am waiting till I get my documents back and then going to do my other RD250C thats been on SORN for a good few years now.
Yamaha RD 250 C (1976)
Yamaha RD 250 C (1976)
Kawasaki GPZ 1100 (1983)
Yamaha XJ 600 N Diversion (1995)
Ducati Hypermotard SP (2013)

Online mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »
Yes you still need to actually tax it although it is free , I think it is a way of checkiong people have insurance and MOT but the MOT is irrelevant now anyway

Online paul n

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
I took my log book to the post office, which changed the bike to a historic vehicle, and downloaded and filled in the declaration of exemption from mot and took it at the same time. The post office send the two off to the dvla but give you a receipt to show tax at £0 cost. Im waiting for the log book to come back reclassified. The online status shows the bike is taxed for the year but also shows mot as "No results returned" I will look again to see if it changes.

Link to exemption form is here https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaration-of-exemption-from-mot
No garage is large enough!
Nottingham

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 09:19:18 PM »
And if you look at the Dvsa website it will show in a big red box this vehicle has no mot, what a complete balls up by all concerned, hopeless. They are also showing my z650 with an mot which is correct but it states its a z900, news to me.
my little yam is shown as historic taxed and no reults returned for mot box, on dvsa mot checker site it says no mot! you cant tax a vehicle over the post office counter without a mot but they did.

the key here is form v112, i was wrong on another post. post office should get you to sign this form at the same time as changing to historic. it exempts the vehicle from mot. boths docs should be sent to dvla.

I have written to the dvla and dvsa abd sent them each a copy of v112 to cover my arse.
you will note v112 has been changed, it has a new catogory down the bottom, 'r'.

on subject of renewal, yes mervin is right, its exactly as before, still have to tax it, still have to sorn it etc, just the fee will be zero. so make sure you sorn if your insurance lapses.

the mot thing is a one off job, once done you dont have to self certify again, just tick a box on line when taxing.
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) nearly finished!
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 being ridden
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 in bits

Offline Angel Grinder

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 09:46:21 PM »
here is the DVLA take on it ,

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria

And still no guidance whatsoever on what constitutes 'substantial change' for a motorcycle! Looks like it's going to come down to 'test cases' to clear things up!