Author Topic: RD 50 with a twist  (Read 2250 times)

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: RD 50 with a twist
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2018, 12:31:18 AM »
I bought LC tank from India, I have to say it just needed the gap widening a bit, with a friends hydraulic jack (he is a panel beater) apart from that its great, need someone good on the paint + filler though, the finish has some beating and file marks, it is hand made after all.

I thought your tank came from china, I haven't had any extra tax on china stuff myself, but the Indian tank cost extra £50 on top of the £225 price that said free post, I was  :o too

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
£50!! Sheet!

Here's the frame with some clothes on...

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2018, 07:52:42 PM »
After waiting ages for the (ahem) big bore kit I had to go through eBay to resolve this. The seller tells me it's waiting in a shop in Staines and I have to go get it. Uh huh. Free delivery means sod all then. So I have the kit it is 60cc and this is the condition it's in...

Nice. Contacted him again and no reply as usual...

Alex

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »
Still no contact, so have gone through eBay about the barrel. Elsie's frame and swing arm are away being modified so work continues on the popsicle.

I tweaked the petrol tank mounts on the frame and the tank now sits nicely. That cross member where it bolts to the frame will need cutting out and moving a little. The seat may or may not get used.

The Mito front end is on, a caliper has been ordered and I have used the Chinese levers and switchgear.

My old 350LC swing arm is almost the same width as the little RD's one but I have cut it back a smidge so it will fit. The shock mountings are nigh on identical but this will make the bike about 6" longer than standard...and if I use the seat I have it will mean cutting the frame back a bit...might look too odd so I will wait and see what it all looks like later on. I have a rear wheel from a FZR400 that is the same style as the Mito front so I'm hoping that will fit!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »
The LC swinger has been trimmed a tad and slots right in, even the shock goes on just fine, albeit upside down! (It is the Mito one). But there was no way the FZR wheel would fit and funding won't stretch to a different swinger and wheel...so, why not use all my spare LC parts instead? So I did. The bike looks like a damn LC even with the tank and seat now! But I like it, longer and bigger. Just hope 60cc of raw throbbing power can move it a bit!

Swinger trimmed...

And on..

Nope...lol

Yes!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2018, 08:54:15 PM »

Twin discs is overkill for sure!

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2018, 08:06:58 AM »
Wow that tyre photo!

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Levy1982

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2018, 05:50:58 PM »
(Attachment Link)

Twin discs is overkill for sure!
Twin discs and 60cc's I love it!

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »
It is a one off lol!

Got the rear end all on, and was surprised that 350LC foot rests just bolt straight on, so nice and easy to set up the brake and gear change. Front brakes are already done. The frame got treated to a visit from Mr Angry (I hate that thing!) and the seat latches are off as are the tank mounts. I need to fit some correct ones in there somehow. Was thinking what clocks to use and then it dawned on me I have a set of RD ones so I can use those. That rear part of the frame will be cut off and welded back on so it fits flush with the back of the seat.

That little headlight I quite like. An 8" one looks to big with the small frame. I am also going to make a rear light/number plate bracket for under the back of the frame.

That TZR250 exhaust will have a trial fit as I have nothing else to put on the bike at the mo, but there isn't much left I need to get this thing going. A head (eBay), a carb...a coil and some basic wiring and hey presto etc!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2018, 09:36:15 PM »

Offline tony2stroke

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2018, 10:35:58 PM »
AWSOME!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2018, 12:25:47 AM »
Thanks matey. I love the way she looks. Tiny but with a huge wheelbase lol!

Had an hour in total today and did this. Made up some little rubber washers for the tank...

then realised they were way to big and mounted in the wrong place...sorted that...

then found a bracket that will do for the mo, I needed to get the tank and seat bang on level...I can make a template later and get one fabricated

Nope

spot on!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2018, 09:11:12 PM »
Nailed a few bits on today. Was surprised to find out the exhaust mount on the barrel is a screw on type...

and does anyone have a nut that goes here...