Author Topic: Project with no nova  (Read 344 times)

Offline Greenman

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
Project with no nova
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:52:50 PM »
I'm looking at purchasing a bike from someone who bought the bike a year ago but hasn't got round to getting it sorted so is selling it. The bike was imported from Germany in 2013, the only paperwork he has is German logbook but no NOVA  number. Is there anyway I can get a NOVA number without having to pay loads of money, the DVLA info says £5 a day, if I buy the bike would I be liable for this? Any advice on this matter would be much appreciated.

Offline betty foRD

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Project with no nova
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »
Sounds like the bike is just visiting the UK at the moment.....maybe sometime soon it’s going to decide it will stay here permanently.....
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline loctite

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:34:19 PM »
simple process set up your own account on the hmrc.gov website tell em you brought it from a chap at the autojumble recently value £100 or something you wont have no bother ive done the odd one with no paperwork

Offline shaunthe2nd

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • New member - be gentle!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 09:58:08 PM »
easy to by-pass, just say it was imported last week they have no way of checking
RD350LC - RD250LC - RD200DX

Offline PB1

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 07:36:22 PM »
Hi Greenman - if this is sorted then that's good.  If not, this may help.  Do speak to HMRC, specifically the PTU (Personal Transport Unit) based in Dover.  They really are very helpful people and not what you imagine tax officials to be like.  I have a situation where the seller of my bike, imported from France some time ago now, has consistently failed to provide me with the evidence of NOVA declaration even though he insists that it has been done. I've been waiting 11 weeks for him to post me the document that shows the number and other relevant info, despite many messages back and forth.

Now, I know that you don't actually need the number to go ahead and register the bike with DVLA with a V55/5, but it is nice to know that it has been NOVA declared and have something in your hand that says so. It takes the worry away when you submit the V55/5.

So I decided to contact HMRC, first by email, asking them to search their system for the bike, giving all the details and importantly the frame number (VIN) in the exact format.  They came back and said that VIN did not exist. So my seller is being untruthful (I won't call him a liar) or has made a mistake when entering the VIN. I then called the helpline number and the person at the other end could not have been more helpful.  After explaining what had happened I was surprised when she advised that I should do it myself and make another NOVA declaration using a paper NOVA1 form and add a covering letter explaining what and why, etc. She indicated that this would not be a problem.  My feeling is that the fines are only used when someone is blatantly trying to evade paying VAT, or is caught doing something dishonest.  If you are honest in what you say, and explain the situation clearly, I think it will be fine. I've done this and am waiting on a reply. I'm hoping my optimism isn't misplaced!

I also followed advice on a Lambretta web site which was very useful - see http://www.lambrettajourney.co.uk/dvla-and-registration/nova/

This gives loads of advice with sample forms, covering letter, Q&A, etc.

If you are still interested, I'll let you know how my case turns out.  I think you can get internet access in jail?.........

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 12:00:07 AM »
I recently got NOVA ref for a bike I imported 29 years ago (lost paperwork on train the day I imported it).

I think the paper NOVA1 route would work for you. There is actually reference on the NOVA website about registration projects etc and it advises you to use the paper form rather than do an online application.

I think that is because the online system will say 'computer says no' if there is any complications. I worked for HMRC for 23 years and the Self Assessment systen (online) is similar. If you make any errors you can get stuck. Had an old boy on phone for 3 hours once. We had a problem where if you used return key in a certain box you couldn't get past it by deleting what you'd written and starting again as you had to also delete the spaces you made.

Anyway that's a digression. Basically I sent in the NOVA1 paper form with a covering letter and got my ref within a couple of weeks. Incidentally they emailed me the ref. I expected it would be on a letter but it wasn't.   
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline adamdannan85

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »
Hi All, whilst this topic is still fresh I’m looking for advice.

I bought an RD50M back in 2015 and didn’t really know about the Nova system until now. The person I bought the bike from said he brought it back to the uk when he lived in France.
The bike is actually a German model.

I have since sent the PTU technical support and the bike is not present on the Nova system. What would people suggest my next step is??

Apply for it to be on the system? My worry would be how long I’ve had it and not been on the system.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Adam

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
Adam

Have you read Graham's reply (above yours)?
It seems a similar situation to yours, he is very likely to have more information on his 250C topic in the Restoration Section
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett