Author Topic: yamaha yr1 generator regulator problems  (Read 2006 times)

Offline yammydownunder

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
yamaha yr1 generator regulator problems
« on: January 05, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »
Hello. I recently rebuilt the engine in my 1967 yr1 350. The engines back in the bike and running. Unfortunately the charge light stays on and the battery is not charging.  I have a service manual and i have checked the ignition dynamo. all seems well. Conductivity between terminals F and A has a resistance value of 5.4ohms  (in spec). with the engine running there is a voltage output from terminal A of 14-16 volts at 2-3000 rpm. To me this shows the dynamo is working.
  If i disconnect the battery at the fuse with the engine running the engine will die. 
 so from these symptoms it would suggest the regulator is at fault.  I cleaned the points in the regulator but nothing has changed.   I am at a loss as to what is the problem or how to diagnose/ trouble shoot from here. 
  Any help would be appreciated. 
 Ps I thought the problem must be from the dynamo because it was the only part removed in the electrical system when the engine was overhauled. before the overhaul the bike had no charging issues.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:17:47 AM by yammydownunder »
yamaha fanatic. yas1, yl3, dt175, yr1 350, ym2 305, yrd25. rz350's. rz250 , tzr250 1kt, xs750, yzf1000r

Offline the general

• Newcomer
Re: yamaha yr1 generator regulator problems
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 02:33:32 PM »
There were no responses to this  :( and it's a while since this was posted.   
I'd be MOST interested to know how you fixed it as I have a YR1 which has developed exactly the same fault. It always needed a good few revs above idle to get the charge light to go out, but it now stays on all the time.

Any advice would bbe most welcome,

Cheers, Mark. 

Offline RDnuts

• RDnuts
  • Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • nuts about rds
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 10:27:44 PM »
check that you have all the brushes in correctly and they are within service limit i had this issue with rd200 they were just not touching causing charge light to stay on, if all ok here you will have to check all of the generating side of the electrics and make sure they are within specs 
RDnuts 18 RDs tooooo many even for me , the best things in life aint free, non fully paid up x member 2376 owner and restorer of the first rd to come to the uk RYN51L front page of april 2013 classic bike my claim to fame

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
Even if you have plenty of length on the brushes. Make sure the connecting wire is routed properly and not hung up, so that its not holding the brush back. Easily done.  :-X

Offline the general

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:53:56 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. Although they looked to be OK as far as the length is concerned (it was the first thing I checked) I shall do a more thorough inspection, especially the wires. 
If that doesn't work and there is power being generated I'll replace the regulator with a solid state one. 
Has anybody here done that and can recommend a product?     

Offline the general

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 07:42:56 PM »
Here’s the latest – I repolarized the dynamo and hey presto it started first kick after a long lay-up and the red lamp went out.
However, I did notice a little occasional sparking from around the base of the ‘A’ terminal block where it attaches to the base plate which probably explains why the charging light doesn’t go out until it is revved way over idle. 
Anyone know how these things come apart so the bad connection can be improved? 

Offline Astute Greaser

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 08:27:17 PM »
Difficult to visualize- a few photo prehaps

Offline the general

• Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 08:46:22 PM »
Attached photo

Offline the general

• Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 08:53:09 PM »
A couple more to put it into context.

Offline Doug_R5C

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2020, 09:03:07 AM »
I'm no electrics expert, but I'm seeing a lot I don't like.  What i assume is the black earth on the left looks ropey at best, the orange lead on the right looks like it could be burnt from inside, and some of the leads around it look slightly discoloured, and the chrome spindle the brushes work on looks as though it needs attention, resurfacing/cleaning.  I'd ask Rex's Speed Shop or similar for advice if it were my bike.