Author Topic: Cheap to race an RG500!  (Read 3831 times)

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Cheap to race an RG500!
« on: March 25, 2013, 10:28:10 AM »
Think I will have to do this cheap form of racing  ::). According to the March/April Classic Racer it is a myth that racing an RG500 is expensive ???
5port

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Cheap to race an RG500!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:36:46 AM »
Nobody arguing, maybe it IS true ;)?
5port

Offline german

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
Hi Chris,
I have not received the newest copy of Classic Racer but I know 2 guys racing in our series with such bikes. They tell a different story about costs. 8)
Cheers Uwe
Classic Racers do not hide the ashes, they keep the fire burning

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:44:23 AM »
You know, I thought so as well Uwe!  It is in issue 160.  Not sure why they have run a main article like this, I would be pissed off if I had just spent ££££$ on an RG500 and here they say you can run a top bike for £200 a year >:(.
Cheers   
5port

Offline german

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »
Perhaps they have lost two 00 in the amount. :P

Offline Hairy Scotsman

• IT / IS Engineer
  • Forum member
  • Port Hacker
  • Member No. 278
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »
Big difference between £20.000 & £200.00 !!
400F, 350LC YPVS NII

Offline german

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »
Nah,
the 20000 are the same rubbish than the 200 but it is definately a lot more expensive to run a RGB than a TZ350. And parts are a lot rarer to get on top of that.
I will ask the RGB guys in June at our first race.
Cheers Uwe

Offline Preload

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 05:41:52 PM »
Think I will have to do this cheap form of racing  ::) . According to the March/April Classic Racer it is a myth that racing an RG500 is expensive ??? .

They must be on drugs if they think that.. ???
RD350B (Mitsui Mongrel).
Runner up Yamaha Donington Japanese & Modern Classic Bike Show 2013

RD400C (now registered) :-)
FJR1300 Mk1 and best one
Tmax XP500
Nippy Norman
Aprilia Habana
The lastest CBX750F basket case.
RosPa trained & Warwickshire Mag Member

Offline kaptainkaos

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 06:26:24 PM »
Think I will have to do this cheap form of racing  ::) . According to the March/April Classic Racer it is a myth that racing an RG500 is expensive ??? .

They must be on drugs if they think that.. ???
Exactly. The bike had a checkover and 'refresh' that's all. They didn't tell you the price of a rebuild on a worn out motor, that would cost an arm and a leg.
"A gentleman does not motor out after dark." - Sir Joseph Lucas (The Prince Of Darkness) 1842-1903

Offline shedboy

• Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 11:37:20 PM »
I looked after that RG that season. I did the restoration/rebuild at the start of the year, went to all the races and maintained it through the season and did the strip and rebuild for the article at the end of the year. It's true. Apart from consumables through the year we used no parts, just a couple of gearbox shift drum stopper plates. At the start of the year apart from front wheel bearings, fork oil seals, crank and gearbox seals, piston rings and consumables, pads, plugs, oils, tyres, chain, it didn't get any new parts. At the end of the season I put new rings in again in anticipation of another seasons racing, but they were within spec when I removed them. The article was true and honest. If I remember we used three sets of Avon AM22/23 and two sets of plugs and pads. So it wasn't expensive. And the bike, apart from larger Mk8 front calipers on a Mk7 bike and the aftermarket silencers it was exactly what you would have bought in 1982, heads, cyls and porting, disc valves, clutch, gearbox, ignition, chassis, everything, all original kit.

Offline stukey

• Banned
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2019, 07:45:32 AM »
A lot of costs and breakdowns are often down to poor practices and using poor quality parts. Our race-bikes were built and maintained by my mates dad, who was meticulous to the extreme and our bikes were reliable all season.As the .guy says. They did it . So that proves it. Well done
Rd 350 special can we get more than 70bnp?
Silver-dust 350b now with new owner
Barnfull of A/b stuff
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
 R1Z 250

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 10:34:13 PM »
Hat is off to you sir for doing all that work! But...your average racer might not be able to or have the time to do a full rebuild before the season starts so that gets farmed out and I bet it ain't cheap. And 3 sets of tyres alone adds up to a smidgen more than £200! I am impressed though that the RG did a years racing with just basic parts being replaced. Cracking bikes.

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »
I looked after that RG that season. I did the restoration/rebuild at the start of the year, went to all the races and maintained it through the season and did the strip and rebuild for the article at the end of the year. It's true. Apart from consumables through the year we used no parts, just a couple of gearbox shift drum stopper plates. At the start of the year apart from front wheel bearings, fork oil seals, crank and gearbox seals, piston rings and consumables, pads, plugs, oils, tyres, chain, it didn't get any new parts. At the end of the season I put new rings in again in anticipation of another seasons racing, but they were within spec when I removed them. The article was true and honest. If I remember we used three sets of Avon AM22/23 and two sets of plugs and pads. So it wasn't expensive. And the bike, apart from larger Mk8 front calipers on a Mk7 bike and the aftermarket silencers it was exactly what you would have bought in 1982, heads, cyls and porting, disc valves, clutch, gearbox, ignition, chassis, everything, all original kit.

Hi Shedboy,  Notwithstanding that the thread was from 6.5 years ago, it is good to hear your view.  There could be other similar articles like "I ran a race bike for years for the price of the petrol and sold it at a profit".  :D
OK, seriously, what you have written above is more interesting than the journo's article.  It is interesting but not amazing that a sorted late RG500 race bike ran a season without being blown up or crashed.  As regards the cost and potential cost /loss, the article is strange.  Who were they trying to kid?  Owners/racers know the costs, or was it just a "Cor Blimey" leader for those who don't own a race bike?  Beats me.  Cheers

5port     
5port