Author Topic: DVLA dating Certificates  (Read 34147 times)

Offline Tone

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: DVLA dating Certificates
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 05:08:33 PM »
Well you learn summat new everyday!! Thanks again Paul. Just found out the bike has never been registered and used only in the TT races [they say!].
RD 250 E. [Many issues to sort]
Bonneville [Running well]

Offline Preload

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »
OK
First thing you must do is see it it is registered with DVLA.
I can arrange a DVLA check for £5.,

If it is then it will cost you £25 to apply for a new V5.

If it is not then you must apply for a age related registration number.
This will cost £12.50 for a dating certifcate as your a club member, plus £55 first registraion fee, road tax, MOT on the frame number and insurance will be needed before DVLA will register the bike.

So thebike will need to be roadworthy before you do this.

Hi Paul, I have managed to get an MOT I'm not looking to put it on the road for a while so do I still have to do the above?

Also I have the original log book from Holland so do I need a dating certificate?
RD350B (Mitsui Mongrel).
Runner up Yamaha Donington Japanese & Modern Classic Bike Show 2013

RD400C (now registered) :-)
FJR1300 Mk1 and best one
Tmax XP500
Nippy Norman
Aprilia Habana
The lastest CBX750F basket case.
RosPa trained & Warwickshire Mag Member

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2013, 03:25:19 PM »
Yes mate but you will not need a certificate with a log book as proof.
Southampton

Offline Preload

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2013, 11:48:26 PM »
OK thanks Paul.
RD350B (Mitsui Mongrel).
Runner up Yamaha Donington Japanese & Modern Classic Bike Show 2013

RD400C (now registered) :-)
FJR1300 Mk1 and best one
Tmax XP500
Nippy Norman
Aprilia Habana
The lastest CBX750F basket case.
RosPa trained & Warwickshire Mag Member

Offline scot

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 09:21:59 AM »
Can anyone please tell me if i need a dating cert? I have an old rd400e, nearly built, that ive had for 30 something years. It's not been on the road since 1983 and ive lost all the old DVLA paperwork (V5). Today I've had a look on the DVLA web site under vehicle enquiry and it shows the bike on there data base with a date of liability  01/10/83. Does this mean that the DVLA still hold all the records for the bike and I dont need to get a dating certificate? Also what do I do next?
Many thanks
Scot

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:33 AM »
No need for dating certificate in that case just print of and fill out V62 form and send with £25 to DVLA

V62 form
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:26:56 AM by mervin »
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

Offline scot

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 10:16:42 AM »
Thanks Mervin

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 11:51:44 AM »
Merv got it
Should not be a problem especially if its already in your name
Southampton

Offline nairb123

• Newcomer
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 10:20:18 AM »
Hello, I put my pack of mot/insurance/dating letter/cheque/v55/5 all filled in/proof of id and sent it off to the dvla.  10 days later I had the paper work back with a refusal - due to the dating letter being “insufficient”
The dating letter is from the “yamaha aircooled RD club”.  I phoned the dvla..... 3 times in total..... the answer from the dvla was they only accept dating letters from the manufacturer.  I did explain that the club was on the dvla's V765/1 (list of vehicle owners clubs) but the dvla said they no longer accepted these dating certs.

Is there something I have missed??  or is the dvla wrong on this?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:06:41 PM by Paul Dawkins »

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »
I have heard this a few times.
Most just go through with no problems. If you use Yamaha for a dating certificates they charge £40 plus VAT, take 4 weeks and tell you that they don't have the records. Then DVLA ask for a certificate from a club such as this one.
I am wondering if its because your certificate is 18 months old.
The thing that has changed since we did your certificate is that we prove how we have dated the bike with photos to support our findings, this was not necessary in February 2013

I did one for a club member last week and he got it back in the post within 7 days with a registration number so all those that we have done in the last few months have gone through with no problems.
DVLA have never informed any dating officer of this but I have heard it before from the fizzy club.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:15:27 PM by Paul Dawkins »
Southampton

Offline nairb123

• Newcomer
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Thanks for replying... I have put a copy of the rejection letter below.  I did ask what was meant by "insufficient" but they would/could not say more.
I did wonder if for a nil rated road tax machine they would only take a dating letter from the manufacturer.  Or as you said the cert is 18 months old.

I have sent my details off to yamaha motor (uk) and will have to wait the 4 weeks I guess.

Dvla did say they would not accept any dating letters from the vjmc either.  Which is stupid because I do know of two others who have registered their suzuki's in the last 3 weeks.
The rejection letter..
47327-0   

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2014, 03:40:01 PM »
I did a dating letter about 3 weeks ago for Keith RDC on here, that was a tax exempt bike and it come back within 14 days all done and sorted.
I helped them fill out the V55/5 and make sure all was OK and it came no questions asked.
Many of the bikes I date are tax exempt.
I think its just luck as to the DVLA office worker you get on the day.
Southampton

Offline nairb123

• Newcomer
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »
I phoned the dvla again....  this time an answer was found.  As you pointed out MY dating letter was 18 months old.  And was missing some details.  Was there a pack of info sent out from the dvla last november covering the details required?.  Anyway it explains why my letter fail some test or other.
Hopefully the Yamaha motor uk dating letter will be the answer to all problems..... 3 weeks to go

Thanks again

Nairb

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2014, 06:09:18 PM »
The last time Yamaha dated it RD250A they come back with a date of 1969 for a RD250. I tried to explain to them that Yamaha did not make the RD until 1972 but they would not have it.
Since then they have been sending out letters just stating they don't have the information on these models and you need to get a club to date it,
I will be interested to hear there response and to see what year they make it if they decide to this time.
Southampton

Offline nairb123

• Newcomer
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2014, 05:42:12 PM »
I will keep you informed.  I did ask them if they were able to date this machine.  After Much rustling of papers and the odd back ground whisper of "which list is it on"  the did tell met that they could tell which year but not the month. 
I really do think its pathetic that a manufacturer does not make more effort to have all this dating info to hand.  Suzuki are no better as I understand....  I have a 1971 triple to date at some stage and it wont be suzuki I go to.

Nairb