Author Topic: US RD350B resto/rebuild  (Read 2358 times)

Offline bruceb

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
Re: US RD350B resto/rebuild
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 10:34:37 PM »
Stainless steel piston and seals arrived from nsrnick:

He only had genuine master cylinder repair kits so as I thought the bore might be dodgy I bought a whole new master cylinder from Wemoto

When I came to assemble everything the lower flexi hose was blocked solid. I eventually shifted the blockage with MIG wire. After seeing the rusty crud that came out I thought it best to replace both flexis so got these from Yambits:

All assembled and bled successfully however the top banjo connector is longer than standard:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:31:13 AM by bruceb »
2002 Fazer 1000
1975 RD350B
1955 Morris Oxford

Offline bruceb

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 09:47:58 PM »
I fetched the crank back from Phil Featherstone who had rebuilt it for me.

The crankcase halves had been soda blasted in the back garden using a cheap sealey shot blast gun. I sat the cases in a cardboard box whilst doing it but it still looked like it had snowed afterwards! came up alright though.

New seals from Fowlers and the rebuild begins:

Once the clutch and generator were back on I put the engine back in the frame.

Next job is to blast and paint  heads, barrels and engine casings.
2002 Fazer 1000
1975 RD350B
1955 Morris Oxford

Offline bruceb

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2019, 09:22:31 PM »
A few bits done:

Used Simoniz engine enamel on the case and B&Q BBQ paint on the heads. Don't know if I will use the B&Q stuff on the barrels though - almost used the whole tin on just the heads. The Simoniz equivalent is cheaper and comes in a bigger tin.

The only reason for using Simoniz over PJ1 was its availability from my local Allwoods.
2002 Fazer 1000
1975 RD350B
1955 Morris Oxford

Offline bruceb

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2019, 10:31:14 PM »
Got the clock surround repaired and painted.

The one that came with the bike had part of the rim missing so I got another cheap from ebay which had a crack.
The idea was to glue the cracked one and use that. The crack would not close by itself so I epoxied it then clamped it whilst curing.

A soon as I took it from the vice it sprung open again.

The next idea was to cut a section from the old surround and file dovetail joints each end then try gluing again.
Before trying this, as there was nothing to loose, I tried bending the 'new' one so the ends closed.
I expected it to crack but it was actually quite bendy so I was able to manipulate it into place.
I then forced a flat file into the joint to clean up the surfaces and glued again - so far so good.

I know the surround is supposed to be satin - I found this out afterwards - but I still think it looks good.

I had hoped to get the clocks back on the bike fully reconnected and speedo/tacho cables attached this evening but half the bulbs are blown so it will have to wait!

2002 Fazer 1000
1975 RD350B
1955 Morris Oxford

Offline ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 11:17:48 PM »
looking good!! ;)
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline bruceb

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2019, 09:59:03 PM »
Finally got round to balancing the pistons and buying a gasket kit so I could put the engine back together.

strangely enough the gasket kit didn't come with an oil pump gasket but it wasn't difficult to get one.

Pistons going in:

Barrels on:

And finally couldn't resist just hanging the exhausts on for a few photos:

Now to sort out the carbs - they're in a bit of a state but i should be able to do something with the two sets I have.

Would I be right in thinking the carb bodies are the same its just the internals that differ? I have a pair or 360-60 and a pair of 361-02 both black hi-tops.
2002 Fazer 1000
1975 RD350B
1955 Morris Oxford

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2019, 10:21:52 AM »
Hi Bruce.  The correct carbs are the 360 60.  If possible, refurb them rather than the 361's that are off a 250.  The basic bodies are the same though, so if needs must...   However, the most important thing is getting all the guts correct.  You saw the melted piston, that could have been bad jetting, bad ignition timing, an airleak or a combination.   ???
Your carb set-up depends on the airbox and airfilter.  You should have a metal airbox (and lid!) that feeds the carbs through a Y-Boot at the bottom.  Your bike will have had a baffled air filter (with big metal tubes in the middle) originally but, these are difficult and expensive to get. If you use the easier to get unbaffled filter (open in the middle, UNI and K&N similar) you have to use different Main jet and Idle mixture setting.  So, here is the spec for the USA 350B,  Main jet 140 (unbaffled) or 105 (baffled), Slide 2.5, Needle jet 175 O-8, Needle 5I4 with Clip in 4th groove down, Pilot jet 25, Idle mixture air screw 1.75 turns out from lightly seated (unbaffled) or 1.25 (baffled), Float lever, 15mm from gasket face. :)
You are likely to get good parts from 2 sets of carbs, be careful with the Needles, they are rare.  I would advise using genuine Mikuni parts and deffo replace the Main jets and Pilot jets regardless because they can be real trouble if oversize, cheap pattern or partly blocked. 

5port   
5port

Offline bruceb

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply 5port - very helpful.

All the standard stuff is there i.e. airbox (with lid), y tube etc. but the air filter is the K&N unbaffled type. The 360 carbs (which came with the bike) appear to be jetted for baffled - 105 mains - but I haven't checked the other parts yet.

Unfortunately I broke the pillar for the float spindle trying to get the spindle out so I will have to use at least one of the 361 bodies   >:(

Thanks for the heads up on the timing also I shall check that before I get too much further.
2002 Fazer 1000
1975 RD350B
1955 Morris Oxford

Offline 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2019, 01:40:26 PM »
The K&N is a good filter if in good nick.  I would wash it in a solvent like petrol, beware risk though, do it outside.  Then lightly oil as per K&N instructions.  That is unbaffled so, will need 140's and the 1.75 Idle mixture screw settings.  Allens performance or Motocarb are good for jets, the genuine Mikuni mains and pilots are about £5ea.  Worth getting the new washers for the Main jet, VM20/169, they are £1ea but they really screw the jetting if not good condition to seal.

5port
5port

Offline bruceb

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2019, 10:19:05 PM »
Thanks again. I would not have thought to replace the washer and for £1 its a no brainer!
2002 Fazer 1000
1975 RD350B
1955 Morris Oxford

Offline Bofski25

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »
That’s looking nice keep up the good work