Author Topic: RD 50 with a twist  (Read 12201 times)

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
RD 50 with a twist
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:07:19 PM »
As most of you know I'm a glutton for punishment. I noticed this a long time ago on eBay, he had it on there for £500 I think...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-RD50/202292351026?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Anyway it appeared again the other evening at a BIN of £60. I offered £40 ( :D) and he came back with £45. Done deal. For that kind of money I could restore all the parts and make a nice profit...however I was a bit nervy. His feedback is 61% and the negatives are VERY negative, but he lives 4 miles from me so it was worth a gamble. Popped over yesterday and he has a TON of stuff, does the Kempton market too and was a nice guy. Apparently funds-for-her was buying stuff from him, not paying and leaving negative feedback. That guy is a total bell end...anyway back to the bike...

Nothing like he described but the pictures told me all I needed to know. Last taxed in 1989 yet 'a joy to ride' and 'a little gem'. Uh huh. Paid him and made arrangements to pick it up tonight in a LC forum friend's van (Dusty Miller). So we did just that.

It's in my workshop now looking very sorry for itself. But there are some good things. Loads of genuine parts, all of it is. Wheels, brakes, master cylinder, rust free and straight frame, rusty swing arm and shock, oil tank, seat, clock protecter bars for some reason the list goes on.

The plan...restore and sell the front and rear ends, replace with modern stuff, no idea what as yet. Engine. Not a 50cc. Maybe brace the frame and look for either an 80 or 125LC lump, maybe an RD 125 or 200, RS100? 125? Perhaps even a pitbike engine. Seat and tank will be what ever fits and looks good. Sort of going for a modern but retro mini cafe racer look here lol.

All this was inspired by this months Practical Sportsbikes. I bought it only to see Mark's 550LC but after seeing the little Honda SS50 I had to do something similar. So this is an ideal and bloody cheap option. I'll start to tear her down tomorrow, I will need more WD and heat! Pics to come...

Alex

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD 50 with a twist
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 06:02:47 AM »
Presumably he has sold all the "good" bits and wanted shot of the remains.
It will be interesting what you decide to do with it
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline chrisg.007

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
Growing old is compulsery, growing up is optional.

RD400D
RD250E  350 conversion
Suzuki X7
RD400E

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
Well found! Might be a possibility (the R1 engine that is).

So the 'lil RD got torn down. All fairly easy with heat and WD (ran out of that but found this in Tesco)...

The seat is FUBAR but not using it anyway, the wheels are very good under all the grime, forks are pitted but I think I can save them. Restore that lot, sell on and then look for some modern replacements.

The frame just has minor surface rust, the shock is pretty good with the original decal in great nick, the oil tank is broken but will use premix so no side panels will be used. Going to have a look on eBay later to see what's out there!

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 09:23:16 PM »
Why not go electric ...make something RD zero race rep!

Use an electric scooter for bits....I think we know people, might be very cheap..
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 09:25:45 PM »
I will go electric when they sit me in the chair Peter...I hate the bloody things lol.

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 09:37:25 PM »
That’s not very open minded  :D

I think electric is great, but I also like top fuel dragsters and 70s two strokes !...

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:39:12 PM by betty foRD »
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 09:43:16 PM »
Got it !
You need something cheap, easy to build, very noisy and with a bit of shove.

I was going to say good old German engineering but maybe best not !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5U-grFuXZ9U
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
Or this...just need an old turbo and some pipe work

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yy4KH88tLSY
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 10:54:14 PM »
hahaha! Love it!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 09:07:58 PM »
More done. Can't shift the shock mounts or the torque arm bolt, but I did get that snapped bolt out of the master cylinder!

Found another snail too....

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 09:18:48 PM »
Cleaned the front wheel, two bolts need coming out and replacing, may as well do all four while I'm at it. I'll get them shot blasted I think as I'll be there for days trying to remove all the manky paint...which should be gold and I noticed that under the white paint! And that tyre is putting up a fight!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 09:21:31 PM »
The cleaning begins...after a week or so of several very rusty parts being in a bucket of vinegar it was time for a reveal...

Looks really manky but after a rinse under the tap...

Front caliper off as well that was a pain, and the rear shock pins will NOT budge!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 10:56:37 PM »
The parts clean up continues...I'll be selling the wheels forks etc to fund the more modern kit. Found an engine, it's a A/C 80cc lump, so will slot right in and look like a 'lil 50cc...he he he.

Still got issues with the shock mounts...they do just slide in don't they? [ Specified attachment is not available ]

Offline betty foRD

• Peter
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 09:14:53 PM »
Cleaned the front wheel, two bolts need coming out and replacing, may as well do all four while I'm at it. I'll get them shot blasted I think as I'll be there for days trying to remove all the manky paint...which should be gold and I noticed that under the white paint! And that tyre is putting up a fight! (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

If they are original finish..I don’t suggest you shot blast them, it will destroy the finish and the value ..paint stripper and jet wash!

If you want to blast them then need soda blast to original finish ...but IMO stripper, jet and elbow grease is best way.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:17:25 PM by betty foRD »
Rev 'em till they rattle