Author Topic: Elsie 2  (Read 36519 times)

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
Elsie 2
« on: April 27, 2017, 09:05:40 PM »
Another LC project! This is a UK bike, a 250LC 4L1. This is how she looks with the TZR front end that of course doesn't fit at all! I've sourced enough parts to start a rebuild. I have the engine crankcases (no internals as yet) and they cleaned up a treat. The usual damage where the chain went through but all fixable. Have some barrels, also cleaned up well and a head too. Wheels are half painted and new bearings in. Forks are being restored as well, the rear shock has been and is on. Got a few bargains recently off Ebay, an entire rear brake for £28, bottom yoke for a tenner (bidding on a top part) mudguard, engine mounts and bolts, some awful side panels but I can sort those out and lots of other little bits, some from Yambits (I know, I know). The idea is to get a rolling chassis that resembles an LC and go from there when funds dictate.

I do love a challenge!  :D

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Elsie 2
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 09:10:15 PM »
More pics...

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 09:16:29 PM »
And the others...

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 09:03:23 PM »
Rear drum all finished, as are the forks and with new dust covers and end caps. Top yoke got stripped of the old flaky paint as did the engine mounts. Once again Yambits surprised me by supplying parts that actually fit!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 09:32:07 PM »
Thought everyone loved an LC?  :D

Anyway the forks are on!

Offline Mr. Wiring Wizard

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 09:46:27 PM »
Nice. First time I have seen another 'YUC' registration number :)

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 09:59:23 PM »
Ah! That number plate is for an RD250, not the LC  ;D

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 09:29:28 PM »
Engine is in! Bit annoyed with the bloke who sent me some brand new engine mounting bolts. There are 6 in all, he sent 4. I'll get in touch with him.

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 09:12:49 PM »
With the RD on Ebay I will be just doing this bike for a while. I do have 2 other RD's but they are basically just the frames and a few extra bits. This is the closest thing I have to a rolling chassis.

Got my extra 2 engine bolts. Also bought a headlight that was deformed, I think it got battered in the post. Emailed the seller and he said if I refund you £2 will that be ok? Is this some kind of joke? Hell no I replied, you have sent me an item not fit for purpose, send another. Anyway I had a tinker with it and managed to get it all back in a headlight shape and it's on the bike.

Another 2 engine covers arrived as well, both needed a refurb, one fits the other is off a YPVS. Note to self, check items fit before restoring them!

The side panels are finally ready for paint. That has been a labour of love, they were really awful.

Wheels are almost done, I need some cheap used tyres just so she can sit on her own two feet really. I have some oversized tyres but I know the front mudguard won't fit with them on. And talking of the mudguard, I have a set of LC decals with 2 mudguard decals. One is for a standard length guard, other seems tailor made for my cut down and therefore shorter mudguard. Odd huh?

I also bought a genuine Yamaha rear sprocket off Ebay for the princely sum of £6. Bloke said it had sat in his garage for 30 years!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 09:31:37 PM »
Finished the mudguard today, and one side panel is all painted. I'm amazed how well it's turned out. The sprocket arrived and that got cleaned up, need to get some sprocket bolts now...Yambits I guess, I've been having a run of luck with them!

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 10:55:53 PM »
Been dying to see what she looks like with the exhausts on but with the frame on the jack stand they won't fit. So I put on the TZR front wheel and got her on her own two feet for the first time. However the side stand I have looked like an LC one but I suspect it's a cut back RD one. The bike was a bit unstable so she's now back on the stand! A hunt for a proper side stand is on. I know Yambits sell them but it's too pricey for me.

And one side panel has a decal on!

Offline Phil S

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »
The side panel looks good 😀
RD400C 1976

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 12:00:58 AM »
Thanks Phil. I need to get some 'RD250' decals for it then I can apply some lacquer.

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »
Other side panel is done, the wheels all have silver spokes now, I just need to do the rims, and the first new part is on, an engine cover!

Spotted some used Mitchelins on Ebay so I'm bidding on those, would be nice to get her on her proper wheels, the 17" TZR ones look all wrong.

Offline kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
Slowly bits and pieces are getting done. The wheels are both finished now, but look a bit odd without tyres. I've had to bite the bullet and buy a new side stand from Yambits but it is excellent and fits too! Got some clip ons from ebay, last time I bought a pair of these they were £55, but I got these for £20, brand new. Was having an issue getting the front wheel on and then I realised I had a YPVS speedo drive on it! So I will look for the correct LC one later tonight.