Author Topic: RD250C rebuild (NOS 1A0 front sprocket - at last)  (Read 89514 times)

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: RD250C rebuild (NOS 1A0 front sprocket - nearly...)
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2019, 08:02:41 AM »
Hi Foy,  Yes, the wrong part in the bag/box is fairly common and we should all be aware, particularly sellers IMO.  Sometimes, it is even tricky to be sure about parts at sales where you can see the bit. I am interested in your tale of the 525 chain and, it will be interesting to see the sprocket when you get it and, the finished set-up on the bike.  Cheers

5port 
5port

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
Re: RD250C rebuild (NOS 1A0 front sprocket - at last)
« Reply #316 on: March 29, 2019, 07:51:32 PM »
Thanks 5port

Well I've finally got the sprocket after returning the previous one at just under £8 (Hermes International) and the seller sent the new one at his cost.

As you can see the packet is exact same but the sprocket is clearly different in middle and also has a raised centre, or more accurately a thinned outer.

If it's of any interest the raised part, which I guess is the width for 530 chain, is 8.75mm and the thinner part is 7.15mm

1A0-17461-70 #2

compare splines and stepped surface with previous one sent

both sprockets had corrosion on them despite being kept in original (waxy?) paper bags

small detail but the 17 digits are quite stylised

So what's next on the agenda?

• repair oil-pump cable thread on RHS casing or use stand-in casing (which means robbing original pump/drive etc from damaged casing)
  • persevere with repairs to dented (and now - cut) oil-tank or use stand-in (which means having to buy some Brigade Blue candy)
  • take barrels etc of again to glaze-bust bores as new rings were fitted or just leave it be and hope for best
  • dismantle front wheel to clean-up spokes or use NOS set or just leave as is

So there's not really a lot to do before I have no excuse to fire her up. One thing that is bothering me slightly tho is that I saw on a Facebook page that DVLA may reject a NOVA ref if it was issued some time ago. I got mine about 15 months back so could be getting near the 2 year mark by time I submit V55. Hopefully don't need to go back thru all that again. Am thinking perhaps it applies more in cases where the NOVA ref was obtained by someone else then the project was sold-on again without being registered 
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2019, 07:59:16 AM »
That's very spooky, in a spooky kind of way!

Sad man that I am, I'm watching the repeats of Bergerac. I love watching these old programmes just to see the old cars and bikes in the background.

Anyways up, the episode the other day had a couple of Honda Super Dreams in the background and I just wondered to myself if and how many RDs found their way on to Jersey. Then, lo and behold, we have a Jersey reg bike at the start of this thread (I am a new member and so wouldn't have seen it previously).

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »
Yes, I have seen a few of the Yamaha sprockets with extra machining of the same blank like that for narrower chains.  I think the parts lists now are updated to the 530, certainly, as I recall, the rears are all the 530 size as listed?  Cheers

5port
5port

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #319 on: March 31, 2019, 02:49:59 PM »
That's very spooky, in a spooky kind of way!

Sad man that I am, I'm watching the repeats of Bergerac. I love watching these old programmes just to see the old cars and bikes in the background.

Anyways up, the episode the other day had a couple of Honda Super Dreams in the background and I just wondered to myself if and how many RDs found their way on to Jersey. Then, lo and behold, we have a Jersey reg bike at the start of this thread (I am a new member and so wouldn't have seen it previously).

I luv a bit of Bergerac, on a rare afternoon off, too Gr8uncleal. I have to admit it's the women I like in it lol.

Anyway - re bikes. There were  a few RDs in the small area I lived. Snowhill carpark there was always an immaculate silver 250C there and in a nearby garden there was a yellow D model. I don't have any stats but there were a lot of bikes on the island from what I remember

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #320 on: March 31, 2019, 02:58:14 PM »
Were there many dealers on the island and were all of the main marques covered?

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2019, 12:36:51 AM »

I'm not sure tbh. I lived in St Helier which was the most 'modern' part of the island and I remember a small shop that sold a mixture of 2nd hand machine (BSA Bantam, Suzuki 250 of late 70s) and I think they could order parts for you from mainland but weren't that helpful so I just got my bits from UK (Rafferty Newman etc). There was also a motorcycle repair place near La Route De Forte and it seemed to be run by a youngish guy with a bunch of hangers-on who didn't want to help unless you were in his gang. I remember walking up with the rectifier from my 250C to get it checked and he told me what to do as he locked up and ran of with his pals for the weekend.

I think that was the start of my 'if you want something done do it yourself' ethos  :-\ 

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #322 on: April 01, 2019, 01:00:21 AM »
Yes, I have seen a few of the Yamaha sprockets with extra machining of the same blank like that for narrower chains.  I think the parts lists now are updated to the 530, certainly, as I recall, the rears are all the 530 size as listed?  Cheers

5port

I'm not sure about updates to the parts lists 5port but am pretty sure all aftermarket kits for the 250 are 530. I have NOS 1A0 rear sprocket (same as the one that was on my bike) and they're both 525.

There is a bit of an anomally in the 250C parts list as it shows the rear sprocket part number as 360 25440 20 but 1A0 ones definitely exist. This suggests that the 1A0 ones came in after the 250C was first released and that whatever machine the 360 sprocket was originally used on was also 525 chain

Offline Gr8uncleal

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #323 on: April 01, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »

I'm not sure tbh. I lived in St Helier which was the most 'modern' part of the island and I remember a small shop that sold a mixture of 2nd hand machine (BSA Bantam, Suzuki 250 of late 70s) and I think they could order parts for you from mainland but weren't that helpful so I just got my bits from UK (Rafferty Newman etc). There was also a motorcycle repair place near La Route De Forte and it seemed to be run by a youngish guy with a bunch of hangers-on who didn't want to help unless you were in his gang. I remember walking up with the rectifier from my 250C to get it checked and he told me what to do as he locked up and ran of with his pals for the weekend.

I think that was the start of my 'if you want something done do it yourself' ethos  :-\

Rafferty Newman - now there's a blast from the past! Brand new RD parts at bargain basement prices. I used them an awful lot for my first RD restos in the mid eighties.