Author Topic: Yamaha RD200. The Model Guide  (Read 86424 times)

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • Club Magazine photographer, writer and editor.
Yamaha RD200. The Model Guide
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 12:31:56 PM »
RD"s is just a period - we have members with pre RD models and later LC"s as well

We had a AS1 twin 125, YDS7 250 and an YR5 at the rally
 --  Articles always needed

Offline St Anthony

• Back Lane Scratcher
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 07:48:35 AM »
It sounds like a D. If it is then the brake caliper will be in front of the fork leg.

The DX designation is confusing, it seems to mean many things depending on who you talk to - it is often used by suppliers to describe any disk braked RD200.

Offline smokinsimmo

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 08:19:17 PM »

Quote from: deenjay
they have a CS5E on display at beauleiu motor museum lovely bit of kit

CS5 at beauleiu. See the picture below taken by myself  at Beauleiu.(AUG.08). Just look at the crud below the Carb..

Paid up Rd club member #30. 
 The Original Rally Baby on the electric RD.

Offline Per Brandt

• "Cockney-Swedish-Scouser"
  • Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
  • "Mr Fizzy"
    • YAMAHA FS1-E OWNERS CLUB
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 06:12:12 AM »

Quote from: smokinsimmo

It is a CS3 at beauleiu see the picture below taken by myself  at Beauleiu.(AUG.08). Just look at the crud below the Carb..

The CS5E also carries a "CS3" frame and engine prefix for some unknown reason (maybe they had a load of stamped up frames and engines left over in the YAMAHA factory when deciding on a facelift new model 195cc bike ???)

I also own a purple and white 1973 (L-Reg) CS5E with the "CS3" prefix.  It was a barn find which now needs a new home where it can be restored to former glory.  It is an abandoned project as I need the space and it comes with a box full of original NOS and used parts.  It will soon go on eBay or contact me direct if anyone"s interested on here?

Proud Owner of the following RD's:-
RD400D (US Model)
RD420 Special
RD250A
RD200B x 4
RD125/AS3

http://www.fs1eoc.co.uk

keasone

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 11:49:31 PM »
im in aus the bike im working on starts with 397 engine and frame numbers, making it a rd200e from us yeah

keasone

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2008, 11:53:23 PM »

Quote from: pertheswede

Quote from: smokinsimmo

It is a CS3 at beauleiu see the picture below taken by myself  at Beauleiu.(AUG.08). Just look at the crud below the Carb..

The CS5E also carries a "CS3" frame and engine prefix for some unknown reason (maybe they had a load of stamped up frames and engines left over in the YAMAHA factory when deciding on a facelift new model 195cc bike ???)

I also own a purple and white 1973 (L-Reg) CS5E with the "CS3" prefix.  It was a barn find which now needs a new home where it can be restored to former glory.  It is an abandoned project as I need the space and it comes with a box full of original NOS and used parts.  It will soon go on eBay or contact me direct if anyone"s interested on here?

shouldnt give out vin numbers so free, criminals can use them and you can end up stung, trust me i know

adodson

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 04:40:03 PM »
HALLELUJAH I HAVE FINALLY FOUND SOME INFORMED INTERNET PEOPLE.

Gentlemen, I recently acquired a CS5E in (mostly) good condition. Its got less than 6k miles on it and has had only 1 previous owner. The chrome is still original and shiny

Anyways, I need to fix a few things. The carb has already been cleaned out, the electrical system has new wiring, and the fuel tank has been lined.

The current issues with the bike are

1. The batteries are either weak, the starter is bad, or the alternator doesnt work.

2. the ridges on the kickstart lever clamp are badly worn down and it doesnt grip well enough to kickstart. What is involved in fixing this? The shaft is worn down too, will I have to take the motor apart and find someone with a motor shaft?

3. The engine leaks oil, i will have to find a gasket.

If anyone has any information on factory service or parts manuals PLEASE HELP ME. I need to know what other yamaha models are compatible with this bike so I can salvage parts. It has been very hard to find any information on my CS5E, so any help is very much appreciated. cheers!

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 06:07:49 PM »
Its best to ask all your questions in the "Aircooled RD tech help" area - you will get more of a responce there. Thats where all the problem solving goes on.

Offline St Anthony

• Back Lane Scratcher
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2009, 06:10:59 PM »
I"ve added an RD200 (2R7) Parts Manual link to the following post which appears further up this thread.

Quote from: ManInTheJar
RD125/200 Reference data is available at the following links:

RD200DX (2R7) Parts Manual

RD125/200DX Cable Routing Diagram

2R6/2R7 Supplementary Service Manual

2R7 Brochure

RD200A Wiring Diagram

RD200DX Wiring Diagram

RD125DX Wiring Diagram

Batavus MK4S

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 02:13:37 PM »

Batavus MK4S2009-03-14 20:10:42

Offline Topmarksman

• Newcomer
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 06:51:55 AM »
Hi. My first bike was a 1973 CS5E as shown below in 1978. I would love to get another, but they seem to be as rare as hen"s teeth. I know all purists will gnash their teeth in anguish, but do you think it would be possible to use the cycle parts from an RS200 and the RD200 engine, with a respray of the RS tank, headlamp and panels to create a CS5E look alike. I appreciate that it would be reed valved - but so was mine when I blew the main bearings on the original engine.[

CS5E
CB250RSA
GP100U
Z650

Offline Topmarksman

• Newcomer
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 07:12:22 AM »
The purple and white on my bike is the other way round to the Beaulieu bike. I guess Yamaha just painted which ever way round they felt like on the day. According to the DVLA my bike was blue and white! But the paintwork was definitely original - perhaps whoever registered it was colour blind!
CS5E
CB250RSA
GP100U
Z650

Offline andy2bikes

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 05:02:11 AM »
EXCELLENT JOB AS USUAL DEL,

DO YOU HAVE THE MODEL YEAR COLOURS LIST AVAILABLE AS I"M DOING A LOAD OF SAMPLE TANKS/PANELS FOR RDs READY FOR THE SHOWS AS I"M CONCENTRATING ON RENOVATION SIDE OF THINGS NOW.

IV"E DONE SOME 400 STUFF BUT NOW DOING SOME 125/200 TANKS/PANELS.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED.          
why do i keep doing this !!!

JBurnett

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 08:35:53 PM »
Hey guys, I have learned more about my bike from this forum, than anywhere else I have looked! I have a 1973 RD200, it is a burnt orange color. The number on it is 397 001183. Does this mean it"s an A or an E? My mother bought the bike in "75, and it only has 3500 miles on it. I am trying to restore it the best I can, It hasn"t run in a few years. Alot of the hoses are dried up and the air filters are crumbling. My local Yamaha dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about a parts list or manual. This forum is a life saver! Thanks.

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 05:19:36 PM »
Modern bike shops are useless. Can"t beat a good old fashioned old motorcycle shop

Bike shops won"t touch old RD"s either - modern mechanics simply swap parts for new bits.

Orange sounds like Portuguese Orange