Author Topic: Best 2T Oil  (Read 607 times)

Online CBM

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
Re: Best 2T Oil
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 04:59:12 AM »
Out of interest about a year ago I chatted with Ian Cunnington from Silkolene about if I was wasting money buying their fully synthetic oil for my 2 strokes. He said Ester based semi synthetic oil (like their own Comp 2) is more than good enough for regular use road going use. Their semi Comp 2 is what he uses in his own 2 stroke bikes even though fully syn is the same price to him, zilch. He recommend always using a fully synthetic (like their Comp 2 Plus) for any track or high performance use. I also asked about mixing them and he said the the 2 oils would mix without a problem but best to run the tank down as much as possible before swapping between the two.
He also said, as per 5port's comment, that most 2T oil on sale today is way better than anything i was using back in the early 70's. I'd have liked to of heard his opinion on the Exol £2.50ltr offering as it's nearly £5ltr less than my local shop lets me have Comp 2 which is a huge differance.

Online ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 09:48:27 AM »
A few of us on here us the Exol oil it meets all current standards..  check out their site   http://www.exol-lubricants.com/
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline Pielight

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »
The exol certainly looks very cost effective...particularly if you tend to put a few miles on your two strokes. I've been using Halfords two stroke fully synthetic for the last thousand miles without issues.

The thing with oils is there is no way of comparing oil performance which will principally manifest itself in rate of engine wear. Because so many other factors come into play it's impossible to say what contribution, positive or negative the oil has made. One thing for certain is that fully synthetic 4stroke motor oil very significantly reduces wear so it's very likely two stroke oil does the same (hence in either engine type it's not recommended during running in as it's too effective).

Even though any modern oil will be better than those readily available back in the day, given the relatively very fast wear of two stroke top ends and the cost and hassles that rebuilds incur for our older bikes with their obsolete parts, synthetic 2T oil in my view is well worth that bit extra.

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 02:23:27 PM »
One thing for certain is that fully synthetic 4stroke motor oil very significantly reduces wear so it's very likely two stroke oil does the same (hence in either engine type it's not recommended during running in as it's too effective).

I don't think all engine makers say this.  Some makers of modern engines might say it, some don't.  ???
As for resistance to wear, the JASO spec FC/FD includes a high performance against wear.

5port 
5port

Offline mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »
Well back in 1977/78 working on a farm , we had a new ford tractor with a turbo diesel engine, and it always used oil and blew a little out of the breather, Ford where using a synthetic oil in new tractors then , the next new one that we had we where told that it had mineral oil in the engine and not to put synthetic or universal from oil in the engine until it was run in , but to run it in as we intended to drive it when it was run in , so it got the guts blasted out of it from day 1 , never had a problem with that engine 
Guy Martin: Football is 2 hours wasted watching 22 millionaires chasing a bag of wind in their underwear

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
Douglas Adams

Ban grated cheese , make Britain grate again !!!!

Offline Pielight

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »
One thing for certain is that fully synthetic 4stroke motor oil very significantly reduces wear so it's very likely two stroke oil does the same (hence in either engine type it's not recommended during running in as it's too effective).

I don't think all engine makers say this.  Some makers of modern engines might say it, some don't.  ???
As for resistance to wear, the JASO spec FC/FD includes a high performance against wear.

5port
Very true... although manufacturing precision has improved to such a degree that mating of surfaces together through wear is generally much less of requirement. Also, I don't know whether still the case but some manufacturers such as VW used to bench run engines prior to installation. In the case of a Honda Blackbird (older technology), they were filled with Mineral oil which as I remember continued for 8k miles to allow them to break in as synthetics prevented wear to the point they'd impede this.

As regards standards, they will be met and exceeded to varying degrees and synthetics will almost certainly be at the top of the performance list. All just my opinion but my view is that as we don't need to worry about clutch slip we want as little friction as possible and the evidence suggests that it's likely best served by synthetics.

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »
As regards standards, they will be met and exceeded to varying degrees and synthetics will almost certainly be at the top of the performance list. All just my opinion but my view is that as we don't need to worry about clutch slip we want as little friction as possible and the evidence suggests that it's likely best served by synthetics.

Agree, except that Castor is possibly still the best for lubrication but crap for convenience and poor thermal breakdown and gumming etc.  ::)     The running-in thing is horses for courses.  I don't think there is a Yamaha guidance for RD250/350/400 on this.    Certainly, many advocate using a good mineral for break-in.    The best info I have found is that;  very finely honed and "plateau-honed" cylinders are suitable for running-in on synthetic.  I even found a fully-synthetic break-in oil.  :-\  Cheers

5port 
5port

Offline Pielight

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 06:29:07 PM »
  I even found a fully-synthetic break-in oil.  :-\  Cheers

5port 
There is always something to blow all theories out of the water! What oil do you generally use 5port. Thanks

Offline lckid

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
 Ive used Silkolene 2t oil comp 2 inc injector on all my bikes for years and done loads of MX and enduros spanning 15yrs never had any problems ever! use it on all my 2 strokes now,  ;)

Offline Pielight

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2017, 10:08:47 AM »
A sound choice then. Been considering using it myself. Is all comp 2  fully synthetic or just the 'plus' version?

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:53 PM »
What oil do you generally use 5port. Thanks

Well, from memory,....in the '70s  started with Castrol TT.  Also sold some rubbish oil when I worked at a garage with one of those ancient two-stroke mixing machines for 25:1 Bantams etc.  ::)  Went over to Bel Ray Si-7 (ester synthetic) in late '70s  and stuck with that for a long time.  Tried a few oils in the 90's then went with Silkolene comp2 injector.  Last 5 years or so, using Motul 710 (synthetic ester) which seems good.  I think any good high spec 2T oil would be good for a road bike as well.    :)  Cheers

5port
5port

Offline Pielight

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 12:42:31 AM »
Castrol TT the standard choice at one time...I come across half a bottle in shed recently (from 90s). I never realised that synthetics were commercially available as long back as the 70s.  ;)

Online CBM

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 04:26:18 AM »
A sound choice then. Been considering using it myself. Is all comp 2  fully synthetic or just the 'plus' version?
Just the Plus version