Author Topic: Barry Sheene Festival Olivers mount  (Read 384 times)

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Barry Sheene Festival Olivers mount
« on: August 11, 2017, 08:50:21 AM »
Me and Mrs Scarlet went up to Olivers mount in Scarborough for the Barry Sheene festival weekend to get a two stroke fix.
Suzuki had a large presence there with Sheenes 76 & 77 championship winning bikes there.Also Steve Parrish and Barrys son Freddie there along with Martin Ogbourne who was Barrys race mechanic.It was a honour to speak to Martin about the bike there and it was the one that Barry had set the highest lap average of 137 mph at Spa circuit.looking at the forks and brakes the riders from that period were made of strong stuff !
Managed to speak to Freddie Sheene and passed on my appreciation for the entertainment his father had given me in seeing him at Brands hatch in the TransAtlantic Trophies and other races of the Seventies and he is a great credit to his parents.
Also there was a 2 Itoms ,one raced by Barry and another raced by his father Frank.
I also saw the Norton that was at the TT started and warmed up (bloody loud !)that was taken round a few laps by Mick Grant and coming passed the pits it sounded fantastic.
The Norton was only challenged on the decibel level by David Hailwood warming up and riding one of his fathers race bikes on laps of the track.
I wish I could show you the videos I took of close up race two strokes with unrestricted stinger expansions,the noise and smell took me right back to the paddock at Brands in the 70's.
Fantastic weekend,every one totally accessable and friendly and all for £50 each for a weekend ticket including paddock and pits pass if you pre-book !

Offline tractorman

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Barry Sheene Festival Olivers mount
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
Great pics, thank you. Looks like an event worth going to.

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Barry Sheene Festival Olivers mount
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
What lovely bikes, in such good condition.
Thank you for posting

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline nuggs1000

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Barry Sheene Festival Olivers mount
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »
Hi
Me and I mate marshalled there a couple of years ago , it's a great event , it was only spoilt by the organisers , the event was only supposed to be a one day event , but they made it into two , when we returned for the following races the following month , they could only run it one day . We both travelled a long distance , and booked an over night stay , to see the big stars . Most of the big stars never turned up , then there was a big oil spill from the sidecars after only 4 races they made a decision to abandon the event as they didn't have the resources to clean up the oil spill . As we walked away a fire truck turned up to clean up the spill , they cannot used powder as you would if you marshal track events , it's because its a public road .
R1 2003