Author Topic: Mid-life crisis? Got me a CS3 project  (Read 390 times)

Offline cheesypoofs

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
Mid-life crisis? Got me a CS3 project
« on: August 10, 2017, 06:55:18 PM »
Hi everyone,

My darling wife suggested I get a new shed to put my work stuff in so I have room for a little project.
Yeah, she's a keeper!

I had no idea what I wanted. My mate Kev in Wolverhampton is building a CB350 and I must admit I fell a little bit in love with it. It's very cute but it's a 4-stroke....and a Honda :P

What appealed mostly was that he is basically rebuilding rather than restoring and aiming for a bike that wears it's age but is clean and tidy.

I was researching for a couple of weeks and knew I couldn't afford any of the bikes from my youth (LC, RG250, RD400, X7 (I raced one in Earlystocks for a couple of years) and also I had owned all of them and wanted something different.

So I found this here CS3 on eBay being sold by Nick at SummerBud Classic Bike Imports (Very nice bloke)

Little run up to Warwick from Sussex, met Kev, wife Lou and daughter Hannah for reassurance (they all approved) and bought it. Much excited planning over a pub lunch before heading home.

I've not had a chance to do much so far, but took a day off today to get things rolling (literally)

The tyres were perished so I stripped what I had to, cleaned up all the bits as I went and put some tyres on her. (She's called Cassie, my Wolves mate Kev's daughter Hannah named her)

I have made a list of missing bits and Steve Keys (Keys Motorcycles in Worthing, another thoroughly nice chap) said send it over and he will see if it matches any of his acres of NOS parts.

So that's about it for now. Need loads of help and support but I hope to be able to repay with any tips I pick up during the build.

Sorry for the essay,

Andy

Offline ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
Re: Mid-life crisis? Got me a CS3 project
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »
Hi Andy

Welcome to the forum, looks a nice project there! would be nice to have a bit of your biking background as an intro and keep those pics coming, we love pics here!  everyone here is very helpful so good luck with your project 

Paul
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:22:35 PM »
Welcome to take Forum  8)

Your CS3 should be a lovely project, although make sure you don't throw anything away as some parts can be hard to find

We would love updates as you go along, why not start a thread in the "Restoration" section
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:23 PM »
If you look around this site you will find a lot of excellent "better than new" restorations, but do bear in mind most of own bikes which are "users" and which bear the blemishes of use

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline twostrokelooney

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »
Welcome Andy,
Very nice model you have there and a tad more unusual than what we are used to on here. Does the engine turn over? Is it a back to original restore?
Never Mind The Four Strokes.
Club Member 170.
RD350 (1973)
RD250E
TZR 250 2MA
Z1000J3

Offline Mark Leadbeatter

• Ozhammer
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:27:46 AM »
Looks like a solid basis for a resto Andy and you will no doubt enjoy the emotional connection you will build up with your bike during the process, just like many of us on here have already done.

As has been said already, don't throw anything out unless it is utter scrap, as it is surprising what can be recovered and could save your project from stalling.

Rgds
Ozhammer
2 strokes are all I need!

'74 S3
'75 CB400-4
'78 RD250E
'78 RD400E
'79 RD400F
'79 RD400G
'81 GT250EX X7
'81 RD350LC
'86 RD350F2

Offline Binettasteve

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 06:51:34 PM »
Nice bike plenty to go at. I have to ask wat is going on with the gear lever, it looks a bit high. Has t been taken off and re fitted wrong?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:09:56 PM by Binettasteve »
RD200DX, Kr1sC2,&C3, kH250,F650GS& van van 125 and Piaggio 125 for errands.

Offline cheesypoofs

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 08:32:25 AM »
Thanks for the welcome,

Current situation is the engine kicks over fine and "sounds" right, plenty of compression. Now it's up and rolling I can tell the bearings all feel OK, the rear shocks have damping (real surprise that) the fork seals leak but again, damp a bit. The rebuilt brakes work, but how well only time and a running engine will tell.

The real problem so far is the fuel system. Rather than the expected petrol gum, everything is full of white crystalline stuff. Any ideas how to clean this at home welcome before I send it all to be sonic bathed.

I love the little dings and scrapes so I am going to try and rebuild it to carry it's past life with pride. I want to find a way to get the colour back without new Popsicle Purple paint making the rest look shabby if that makes sense?

Cheers all,
Andy
Again, any advice very welcome.

Offline cheesypoofs

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 08:34:15 AM »
Oh, and regarding the gear lever, it's been down on it's left side and the lever obviously went into the nice shiny points cover which now needs a bit of work too...

Offline cheesypoofs

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 09:14:38 AM »
Quick update in case anyone is interested.

I took most of the day off last Thursday (self employed so a rare luxury), and also did some work over the weekend.

Apart from not running the engine, I think I now know the extent of the work and I must say it's a bit of a stretch to call it a restoration ;D

It's been more a strip, clean and rebuild job so far. Then I got to the front end and...bugger. Does anyone know a reliable, not too pricey fork straightening and re-chrome company?

I've not worked out how to attach another picture to this thread, is it work starting a build thread?

Cheers all,
Andy

Offline Phil Featherstone

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 09:25:43 AM »
Hi if it helps I had trouble attaching pictures and it was simply a case of resize the picture.
PFP Phil
www.pfpservices.co.uk
RD200 2R7 Red NEW build
RD200 2R7 Resto in progress
RD125 1976 project

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »
Start a new topic in the Restoration section, we would welcome any photographs and updates
Phillpots are used by some people for fork rechroming, but other companies have been recommended in the past. Well worth doing a search to see the previous comments and recommendations
It is worth bearing in mind you will get a better response to any technical queries if you post the query in the technical section rather than tagging it on to a different topic

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Terry Pratchett

Offline Mark Leadbeatter

• Ozhammer
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »
+1 for Phillpots, great work and they can straighten bent stanchions no trouble.
2 strokes are all I need!

'74 S3
'75 CB400-4
'78 RD250E
'78 RD400E
'79 RD400F
'79 RD400G
'81 GT250EX X7
'81 RD350LC
'86 RD350F2