Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Aircooled RD Tech Help 250cc and Above / Re: Inner Tubes
« Last post by Colin987 on Today at 04:48:51 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys!

Will try Michelin - new back tyre looming on the horizon.

Colin
Aircooled RD Tech Help 200cc and Below / Re: RD200 hits the 4K+ mark
« Last post by Alistair64 on Today at 03:42:05 AM »
seen this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-CS5-200cc-1972/282742630855?hash=item41d4c629c7:g:bB4AAOSwrhBZDJzD

Wow, absolutely stunning and if it really is in 'as new' condition, then it's probably worth the asking price IMO.
How much would it cost to restore one to that condition, although there's no indication whether it is restored or been kept in a glass case for the last 45 years.
Maybe the experts can spot something which isn't standard as the pre-RD models are slightly before my time.
Well this is probably to obscure to be of much interest to forum members but looks like the unit is from the very rare YDT1.

Yamaha YDT1 engine sports Hitachi GS216. Unusually on RHS of engine

NB. Bryan H quite rightly pointed out that it couldn't be from the DS6 as that doesn't have electric starter  ;)
The Piston Broke / Re: On His Way Home for Xmas
« Last post by ozmadman on Today at 01:45:30 AM »
Blimey he looks knackered!!! and only 2 years older than me!!   hard life these rockers have
Aircooled RD Tech Help 250cc and Above / Re: Selector drum
« Last post by ozmadman on Today at 12:46:15 AM »
I can select all the gears so all good just having a bit of a worry moment!
My gearbox test prior to  engine re-assembly   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxb45drPT5E
« Last post by Barnett on December 10, 2017, 10:33:52 PM »
Michilin do hold their pressure well in my experience, not perfect but lose a lot less than stated above, a tweek is needed every couple of months or more. Never used any other brand so have no comparison experience.
« Last post by Dug on December 10, 2017, 10:23:33 PM »
I can select all the gears so all good just having a bit of a worry moment!
« Last post by 5port on December 10, 2017, 10:19:21 PM »
Doug

The selector drum can only go in one way but the forks - yours is a six speeder isn't it? - are 'handed' and need to be installed in the correct orientation on the rod and on the drum..  and of course the pins in the forks need to locate in the track of the selector drum. When I dry fitted the 6sp transmission I bought recently one of the guide pins wasn't properly located...  then I figured out the left and right forks - they have a different 'heel' cast into the foot of the fork.

G

There is a different number on the two types of fork, 1 or 2.  The number makes it easy to identify the two types.  ;)

5port
« Last post by navtrad on December 10, 2017, 10:15:02 PM »
Well it’s good to know (in some ways) that I’m not the only one...

All my ‘old’ inner tubes seem to keep their pressure for ever. The new ones I’ve had in the last few years loose 2 - 3 psi per month. I’ve changed valves and in one case had the inner tubes changed again for the most expensive ones I could get. No improvement.

I was told (by the bike shop that changed them...) that you should check your pressures every week and a few psi loss per month was normal. Hmmmm, maybe.

Perhaps I’ll try Michelin next if they work ok then.

Nigel
The Piston Broke / Re: split pin
« Last post by RDDave on December 10, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »
They look a good kit Merv, i think i'll order one of those.   ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10