Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 353 times)

Offline stigg

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« on: June 05, 2018, 05:40:48 PM »
Hi all just joined the forum and hope your all well, have just sold my Triumph Street Triple so will be looking to get a RD250 and was looking for some general advice on the best one to try and get, is it a case of the newer the better or are the early ones the best. Also are spares ok to get hold of. Had a S2 Kawasaki 350 years ago and loved it but always fancied a Yam!!!!!
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Come he slow or come he fast is it but death that comes at last!!

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 06:30:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum :)

The RD was made between 1972 and 1979 and basically came in two forms, round tank and coffin tank which one appeals to you.
I standard, matching numbers bike goes for most money, but some of us aren't rivet counters and are happy to run around on non standard bikes.
Parts are still available, although original exhausts and some tinware is NLA

Let us know what you pick
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline stigg

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:59:58 PM »
Thanks Motty, think i will go for a coffin tank and will try and go for a 1978/79 if possible. Is there anything i should look out for?

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 10:20:26 PM »
 Just the standard things, these bikes are 40+ years old and whilst they are cherished now, they were thrashed, crashed and bodged back in the day.
Check the seat base, mudguards, tank and exhaust as these are difficult to replace. Listen to any nasty noises from the engine and listen to what the seller is saying
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline stigg

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 11:13:06 PM »
Cheers just got to find one now and hopefully not in the other end of the country!!!!!

Offline ggreen1959

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
Mine is an RD250D and doesn't have matching numbers and has the wrong, but good paint job, and later front brake and wheels fitted and SS bolts all over as would have been done in the day. It's great to ride and goes well, fun, fun, fun!!

Get what you fancy and ride it, but listen to the owner and make sure it starts and runs well otherwise you'll be chasing "his" probably very old demons.
Just keep riding.

Offline stigg

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
Cheers ggreen1959, seen a 350 in Crawley that looks like it's worth a look but just waiting for the Triple to be collected first!

Offline stigg

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »
Hi, just seen a 250E 1979 on eBay up in Manchester that looks about what I'm after in Speedwell Motorcycles, anyone had any dealings with them by any chance?

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 07:34:35 PM »
Hi, just seen a 250E 1979 on eBay up in Manchester that looks about what I'm after in Speedwell Motorcycles, anyone had any dealings with them by any chance?
It's probably worthwhile starting a new topic with that query, not everyone will look in here :(
Terry Pratchett

Offline stigg

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 10:47:19 PM »
Thanks Motty will do.

Offline Ozhammer

• Ozhammer
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 01:37:56 AM »
Welcome Stigg.

It would perhaps be worth taking up full membership if you haven’t already done so, as you can then access the for sale and wanted sections of the forum. If you can buy a bike from another member, you are likely to get a better deal on a number of levels imo.

HTH
2 strokes are all I need!

'74 S3
'75 CB400-4
'78 RD250E
'78 RD400E
'79 RD400F
'79 RD400G
'81 GT250EX X7
'81 RD350LC
‘83 KE175D3
'86 RD350F2