Author Topic: Armature removal  (Read 496 times)

Offline dangerous69

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
Armature removal
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
Hi can anyone point me in the right direction on how to remove the Armature on my 1981 200dx please . Thanks John

Offline Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Armature removal
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 01:30:44 PM »
Carefully!
This query crops every so often. Please try a searching for the previous answers
“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline davecumbria

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
the Yamaha RD200 workshop manual (downloadable off the forum) explains armature removal. The manula shows the use of a slide hammer attached to the centre of the armature.

its not easy, these things never are, its been there for nearly 40 years and it wont like coming off.

The trick is to ensure the engine case is securely mounted on a fixed bench and use the slide hammer to provide a "jolt" to release. its an interference fit on a taper so they are a sod. Don't be tempted to use a bolt through the armature on to the end of the crank (as the 125 magnet removal) as its very easy to damage the end of the crank web where the advance/retard mechanism fits in

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Offline Johncb500

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 10:30:36 PM »
Hi can anyone point me in the right direction on how to remove the Armature on my 1981 200dx please . Thanks John

there is a particulary brutal method shown in the latest Classic Motorcycle mechanics .

not for the faint hearted
lifelong rider,laterly with Honda,now a little RD as well

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 08:40:51 PM »
Wow. I'll need to have a look at that Johncb500

As Motty says the subject has came up many times over the years dangerous69 so it's worth reading thru those threads but on the off-chance yours isn't stuck fast you basically need an M10 x 1.25 bolt to thread into the body of the armature and that then needs to push against something thinner that goes into the hole in the end of the crank.

I recently read that another option is hydraulic. You need to get a grease fitting of that size thread then pump grease in to split the taper. I found you can get the 'Zerk' fittings with that thread but the next item would be a grease gun and no doubt you'd then need some sort of something else to connect the gun to the nipple on the Zerk.

Maybe the nipples are all one size. I don't know but I'll let someone else pioneer this approach before buying the fitting
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline Alistair64

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 09:33:44 PM »
Wow. I'll need to have a look at that Johncb500

As Motty says the subject has came up many times over the years dangerous69 so it's worth reading thru those threads but on the off-chance yours isn't stuck fast you basically need an M10 x 1.25 bolt to thread into the body of the armature and that then needs to push against something thinner that goes into the hole in the end of the crank.

I recently read that another option is hydraulic. You need to get a grease fitting of that size thread then pump grease in to split the taper. I found you can get the 'Zerk' fittings with that thread but the next item would be a grease gun and no doubt you'd then need some sort of something else to connect the gun to the nipple on the Zerk.

Maybe the nipples are all one size. I don't know but I'll let someone else pioneer this approach before buying the fitting

Agree with this. I've recently removed one from a spare bottom end which I suspect had never been removed before (but can't confirm).
Screwed in the bolt until I heard a crack (which scared the hell out of me!), but it was just the rotor giving way.
Didn't actually take as much effort as I thought, so my advice would be to do it by feel.
Most classic bike owners of our generation have so much experience of working on them that we tend to know when to stop (famous last words!!)  ;D
1982 Candy red RD200DX
1986 RD350F1

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:31:26 PM »
Hi Alistair64.

I must admit I didn't try the screw method for fear of stripping the threads so went straight to the slide-hammer approach and no amount of slide-hammering would budge it.

The grease approach appeals to me as there's no force on the metal parts.

Someone try it - please  ;)
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.