Author Topic: Has anyone done their own crank?  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
Re: Has anyone done their own crank?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »

wow - what a reply from Mr.Foy - thanks for taking the time to put that together, it's a fascinating insight into how it's done (for them's that have mechanically inquisitive minds like what i do...).

What surprised me a bit was that an 8T press would be enough to crack it, I was really expecting 15+

Anyway, if I had time I'd probably have a go, but I haven't so it's off to the crank builder for me ...

Thanks again Mr. F..

You're welcome Greggers. Actually I learned a bit myself posting it up. Usually happens when you are focusing trying to find best way to explain/present the subject you notice things you didn't when you read the material for yourself.

About the 8T pressure. That seems to be for re-assembly. I'd imagine would take more pressure to dis-assemble. Am saying this because it takes a frightening amount of force on the press to get the front wheel-bearings out my Mondeo knuckles but going back in is easier.

Anyway I think we can all agree, especially with the posts about relatively low cost of getting it done by pros, that making the tools up yourself would be a major undertaking, possibly unsuccessful and you'd prob spend more on metal/drill-bits/welding-gas than it would cost to farm the job out.

I am going to buils a cranckcase separator for the 125/180/200 models tho. Definitely do-able 
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.

Offline splant

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 06:37:01 PM »
I've built 3 rd cranks and one h1 triple, you don't need any special plates or jigs making up, just a few thick strips of bar, i made vee blocks out of 2 axle stands with a v cut out of them ( still usable as stands)  my press was a 85 quid job but I bought a 20 ton jack to replace the 10 tone one, very rewarding its not rocket science ,remember press the weights in tighter though  as the trueing involves hefty whacks that loosen them , oh I did a kr1s as well that was tricky as no keyway or splines to get them dead on 180  deg apart so I relied on scribe marks , must have been OK revved to 11500 smoothly enough , have a go! Well worth the investment can do all sorts now, wheel bearings and stuff.
oops i think my powerbands snapped .

Offline ypvs400

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
I have always carried out my crank rebuilds, many new cranks are not true when checked.

Offline Foy(notFox)

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
    • Hillman Imp Pick-Up Restoration
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 11:10:15 PM »
Just found this http://www.aircooledrdclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=25807.0

Shows some of it can be done at home (if you know a guy with a lathe who has got lots of spare time to help you)
CS3B, AS3, RD125, RD250C, Honda SS50ZK1.