Author Topic: Historic Vehicle taxation class  (Read 4527 times)

Offline Phil S

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Historic Vehicle taxation class
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 06:58:33 AM »
 I will be ordering a black and white plate for mine then 😀😀
RD250C 1976

Offline Daytona Rob

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »
Well I have a UK registered Kawa H1d thats basically a frame and cases but has a V5 so I thought I would give it a go. The old guy doing it was hesitant but I explained anything over 40 yrs old is now tax exempt and he started processing it. Then he noticed I had put a new engine number in the space and got wary so I said if its gonna muck things up to forget doing that and I will send it off when I get new V5. He pressed some more buttons and I thought it was gonna go through.......but nope he said does it have an MOT and if not he could'nt process it so the game was up. Might try sending the V5 to DVLA and see what happens ?????

Offline Billy_Bottle

• Forum member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 09:32:37 AM »
Well I have a UK registered Kawa H1d thats basically a frame and cases but has a V5 so I thought I would give it a go. The old guy doing it was hesitant but I explained anything over 40 yrs old is now tax exempt and he started processing it. Then he noticed I had put a new engine number in the space and got wary so I said if its gonna muck things up to forget doing that and I will send it off when I get new V5. He pressed some more buttons and I thought it was gonna go through.......but nope he said does it have an MOT and if not he could'nt process it so the game was up. Might try sending the V5 to DVLA and see what happens ?????
You could be getting into the 'significant' (or is it 'major'?) change area of the granting of MOT exemption criteria, and it is that which is stopping you? I can't see that, if changing an engine number for another unit of exact same type, and possibly year,  would be seen as a reason for not allowing? Unless it is because a dating letter to DVLA might not have given year of the engine.

Incidentally, the date that black plates were prohibited by statute was 1st August 1973 (could have had one on my Fantic Ti!!). I have never seen or heard of any info at all that 'historic' status, whether rolling or not, confers the right to use a black plate.
I assume that the 1/8/73 is still the deciding factor until otherwise enlightened.
I welcome sources to confirm, of course. I have seen modern vehicles using black ones that must never get pulled over.
Ripponden Parcels used to have them on all their delivery vans, even when not legal, for appearance reasons. Quite a bold move!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:34:21 AM by Billy_Bottle »

Offline ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 01:27:24 PM »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Incidentally, the date that black plates were prohibited by statute was 1st August 1973 (could have had one on my Fantic Ti!!). I have never seen or heard of any info at all that 'historic' status, whether rolling or not, confers the right to use a black plate.
I assume that the 1/8/73 is still the deciding factor until otherwise enlightened.
You can use a black and silver plate on ANY historic vehicle now see email confirmation below from the DVLA click on picture to expand it

78765-1
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 01:30:31 PM by ozmadman »
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline Grumpyboy

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 02:30:07 PM »
Just to confirm, my Rd400E was manufactured in January 1978 so it will be a historic vehicle from April 2018?
Thanks
Phil
RD 400E
Hornet 250
XJR 1300
XSR 900

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
Just to confirm, my Rd400E was manufactured in January 1978 so it will be a historic vehicle from April 2018?
Thanks
Phil

April 2019
Southampton

Offline Grumpyboy

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2018, 05:27:47 PM »
Thanks for clarifying Paul, it appears I got excited too soon that there was actually something I wouldn’t have to pay tax for...

Phil
RD 400E
Hornet 250
XJR 1300
XSR 900

Offline Paul Dawkins

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »
Thanks for clarifying Paul, it appears I got excited too soon that there was actually something I wouldn’t have to pay tax for...

Phil

Its a lovely feeling when they actually become tax exempt.
I just went to tax my RD400c but found out the MOT has expired..... Embarrassing that but I am not riding to the MOT station in this weather.
Southampton

Offline Monkey

• Monkey
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
The Historic Vehicle taxation class is now a ‘rolling’ system once again, meaning that a vehicle that’s 40 or more years old can be reclassified as ‘historic’ and eligible for free car tax (VED). In this instance, it applies to the vehicle’s production date rather than the date of first registration – an important point to bear in mind if you can prove that your particular car sat unregistered for a year or two before hitting the road for the first time.

Where can I find the production date? I've looked all over the V5 but can't spot it. My 250D was first registered on 5.10.78 so it has obviously sat around for a while before registration. As I understand it, without the production date I'll be paying road tax until April 2020.
Member No 163
250D lived and then went bang.
430 Project - gone to a better home
250E Hasn't worked since I improved it

Offline Rimby_ding_ding

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 02:52:07 PM »
My understanding is April 2019....see Paul’s response above to the other post for 1978  ;)
Membership no. 1746
Rd250f
Goldwing Ltd
Speed Triple

Offline ggreen1959

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2018, 01:02:01 PM »
My RD250 is on an R plate, but has on the V5 that it was assembled from part in 1992!!? I wonder if I can calim Tax and MoT exemption under historic vehichle rules. It is effectively registered as a 1977 bike and is a standard RD250D with no deviation from the manufacturers spec except the RD250E/F front caliper fitted.
We'll see. ???
Just keep riding.