Author Topic: New Member Lincolnshire  (Read 146 times)

Offline Penno

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
New Member Lincolnshire
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
Hello,
recently joined the forum after purchasing a RD400F UK model restored by previous owner. Already received some good advice and information from Gazzatt.
Not really mechanical but want to learn all about the bike.
Previously owned modern bikes, but the RD takes me back to my youth, as I am sure it does with the majority of us on here.
RD400F

Online Motty

• Richard
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: New Member Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »

the RD takes me back to my youth, as I am sure it does with the majority of us on here.
Welcome to the Forum and to RD ownership, if you haven't already done so, it is worth joining the Club as well.
Like you, nearly all of us now have RDs as we had them BITD, riding one certainly makes me feel a teenager again

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

“...inside every old person is a young person wondering what the f*@k happened.”
Terry Pratchett

Offline Mark Leadbeatter

• Ozhammer
  • Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:55:14 PM »
Welcome penno, you will find the guys on here are real gentlemen, who are prepared to share their knowledge freely with others.

As has already been said, sign up for full membership, which is great value and worth it for the magazine and calendar alone, plus you get access to the member’s only content.

Rgds
Mark
2 strokes are all I need!

'74 S3
'75 CB400-4
'78 RD250E
'78 RD400E
'79 RD400F
'79 RD400G
'81 GT250EX X7
'81 RD350LC
'86 RD350F2

Offline Rimby_ding_ding

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:08:32 PM »
Welcome Penno, I'm a newbie on here too, from Grantham. Finding this club and full of useful information and contacts to help. Sure you will enjoy it, may even see your RD at East Kirkby next year 8)
Membership no. 1746

Offline Penno

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
Many thanks for the welcome. Yes, I must join the club and look forward to a good magazine.
Rimby ding ding you mentioned East Kirkby, it's just down the road from me.
What event are you referring to?
RD400F

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 06:25:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum Penno, i think Rimby ding ding's referring to the bike night at the aviation centre, usually one a year around June time but this year they had two, one in June and i think the other was in August. I'm near Alford so maybe see you at some of the local bike nights in 2018.   

Offline Penno

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 06:45:04 PM »
Hello Dave, food to know there is someone local. I am in Old Bolingbroke. Yes I know the bike nights at the Aviation Centre, but to be honest I be grudge paying when you can go to Louth, Boston, SPILSBY nights FOC.
Just recently purchased the RD400F so looking forward to getting out next year.
RD400F

Offline Rimby_ding_ding

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:10:54 PM »
Correct RD Dave that's the ones I was referring to  :D
Membership no. 1746

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:23:17 PM »
I went to the june one this year at East Kirkby but gave the august one a miss. Also went up to the Caistor bike night this year, it was a good night, market place was packed. What colour is your 400 Penno ?

Offline Penno

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 08:02:22 PM »
I did not know Caistor had a bike night, but I have spent the last year looking after my Mum since she had a stroke so I have been out of the loop so to speak.
The RD is competition yellow. Hopefully the photo is clear. The bike is part covered, but should give you an idea of the condition.
RD400F

Offline RDDave

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:03 PM »
Sorry to hear about your mum, bike looks nice in yellow, have you been out on it yet. 

Online GR400

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »
Bike looks very nice.  Wish my wife let me keep mine indoors!  Was it restored by anyone on here?

'80 RD400F, coming together slowly
'75 RD350B, my retirement project at this rate!
'01 ZRX1200R
'01 GSX-R1000 K1

Offline Penno

• Club Member
  • Newcomer
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 07:05:50 AM »
Yes it does look good in the yellow, but I would not mind a red/white one. No I have not been out on it yet, and I am sure at the disgust of many, I have now wintered it up. I know bikes are to be ridden, but this is my pride and joy and very different to my previous modern bikes which were ridden in all weathers.
I bought the bike in restored condition from a private buyer who bought it restored from Village Motorcycles in Stowmarket.
I want to check timing and following good information from Gazzatt2 will do so over time. Further I have read on the Tech page about spark plugs, suspension and tyres, and whilst the bike should be okay I will make changes as and when. It has Pirelli Phantom tyres and they do not get a good opinion, so will opt for Bridgestone.
storing indoors is not ideal, but car in garage leaves no room. I am single now, so can please myself, and the dog is not offended.
RD400F