Author Topic: Interchangeability  (Read 473 times)

Offline twostrokelooney

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Interchangeability
« on: January 14, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »
Guys,

I have a couple of spare and complete 250 engines (they both turn over), one came off of a C model, the other came off a D model. Apart from the lack of E specific electronic ignition components how much of these units is compatible/interchangeable with the E engine?  Barrels, heads, pistons/rings, gearbox internals etc?
Would someone who actually knows what can be swapped over be kind enough to let me know please? Unfortunately neither engine has a frame with matching numbers..... :'(
Cheers,
Never Mind The Four Strokes.
Club Member 170.
RD350 (1973)
RD250E
TZR 250 2MA
Z1000J3

Online betty foRD

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: Interchangeability
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »
Sadly nowhere near as much as you might think!
Barrels are different, Reed blocks, pitsons , clutch and primaries are different, gear change shaft etc.etc
The easiest way to see is to look at the E/F parts list pdf which you can download form the tech data section on here and just look at all the parts that start with 2R8/2R9.
Rev 'em till they rattle

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 06:45:37 PM »
Guys,

I have a couple of spare and complete 250 engines (they both turn over), one came off of a C model, the other came off a D model. Apart from the lack of E specific electronic ignition components how much of these units is compatible/interchangeable with the E engine?  Barrels, heads, pistons/rings, gearbox internals etc?
Would someone who actually knows what can be swapped over be kind enough to let me know please? Unfortunately neither engine has a frame with matching numbers..... :'(
Cheers,

Hi Colin,   The parts that will work from a 250C/D engine in a 250E are limited.  Most that will work, are not quite the same even, and you need to be very careful so, it is up to you.  However, here is some info....   The main cases are similar but, you would need to drill and tap the mount holes for the stator.   Outer side cases on the clutch side swop.  The generator side of a C/D won't fit an E.  The clutch has different primary gear width but, you can swop complete clutch and primary gear.   The gearbox has a couple of different design gears but, you can swop the two shafts and gears as a pair if you keep/fit the idler that matches the kickstart and tacho drive!   The shifting mechanism and cam inside the cases can swop but NOT the shift shaft or the shift lever-unless you fit both as a pair.
It can catch you out!   :o

5port

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 07:25:20 PM by 5port »
5port

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 07:22:57 PM »
Another thought,  If you have two C/D engines, they should be worth a reasonable amount.  If you want E stuff, you could buy or even swop.   ;)

Cheers

5port 
5port

Online mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 07:26:49 PM »
the E/F outer side case genny side is different it has a extra piece at the bottom for the ignition pick up
Guy Martin: Football is 2 hours wasted watching 22 millionaires chasing a bag of wind in their underwear

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
Douglas Adams

Ban grated cheese , make Britain grate again !!!!

Online 5port

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 07:32:52 PM »
the E/F outer side case genny side is different it has a extra piece at the bottom for the ignition pick up

;)
5port

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »
Isn't that what peter said :-\ :-\

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 09:19:23 PM by mervin »
Rd 350 special
Silver-dust 350b now with new owner
Barnfull of shitty shit
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
 R1Z 250

Offline twostrokelooney

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »
Cheers to all, and, as I expected, not a lot by the looks of it...

The plan was to keep as future spares but it hardly seems worth the effort now as they are not much use to me. I just acquired them over the years along with God knows what other stuff (you know how it is.. ::) ::) ::)) I agree with 5port, swap them out or put them in the Ebay pile.
Thanks guys,
Never Mind The Four Strokes.
Club Member 170.
RD350 (1973)
RD250E
TZR 250 2MA
Z1000J3

Online mervin

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • buy the ticket…take the ride
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:19:56 PM »
Isn't that what peter said :-\ :-\

yup I did not read it properly doh  :D :D :D :D
Guy Martin: Football is 2 hours wasted watching 22 millionaires chasing a bag of wind in their underwear

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.”
Douglas Adams

Ban grated cheese , make Britain grate again !!!!