Author Topic: How to buy tips  (Read 935 times)

Offline splant

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
How to buy tips
« on: January 13, 2018, 08:36:06 PM »
Anybody got any tips on buying off ebay ? Prices have gone bonkers ,I'm just after a project where I won't lose money doing it up , seems impossible to me .the only ones I've ever bought are a fizzer with no frame no, (was under the powder coating) and a h1 listed under motorcycle parts .
oops i think my powerbands snapped .

Offline betty foRD

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
Re: How to buy tips
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:55:46 PM »
Don’t think you have been able to restore RDs for profit for quite some time, by that I mean bike plus costs will regularly be higher than realisable value of finished bike.
So why to people restore bikes I hear you say? Truth is it’s a hobby for many, most hobbies absorb cash. If you want to make money you have to adopt typical trader methods, but that doesn’t involve any restoration ...
So my recommendation is that If you are looking for a bike to do up don't look on eBay !
Rev 'em till they rattle

Offline blind dog

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 09:03:04 PM »
Don’t think you have been able to restore RDs for profit for quite some time, by that I mean bike plus costs will regularly be higher than realisable value of finished bike.
So why to people restore bikes I hear you say? Truth is it’s a hobby for many, most hobbies absorb cash. If you want to make money you have to adopt typical trader methods, but that doesn’t involve any restoration ...
So my recommendation is that If you are looking for a bike to do up don't look on eBay !
think the days of picking bikes up at the wright money have gone  ... ebays a joke
blind dog rd400f rd350f rd400c  rd350b rd350a rs300.rg500

Offline Phil S

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:05:18 PM »
I concur, the prices for bikes are high, parts expensive and i don’t think there is any money to be made.

I personally have spent more than I should on mine and would not be able to sell it for what I have spent, I have had hours of enjoyment, like all hobbies it costs money 😀
RD250C 1976

Online kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • If it ticks over. leave it...
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:21 PM »
My LC is being restored and funded by buying parts that need restoring off ebay, then selling them back on. It takes time but so far it's worked...

Offline Hustler

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 10:03:43 PM »
This I'd why I never buy restored bikes.
Corners have been cut at every opportunity using crap pattern parts etc, I.n the aim of making profit.
All my bikes were bought as near scrappers.
Then restored by myself for myself, regardless of cost.
The thought of selling them was never an option. I invest too much of myself into them. Inevitably they will be sold. And whoever buys them will get damn good bikes.
Sean.

Offline Barnett

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 11:05:41 PM »
My LC is being restored and funded by buying parts that need restoring off ebay, then selling them back on. It takes time but so far it's worked...

It all depends how you look at things, at the end of the day it still costs the same amount, whether you buy and sell to get the money to do the bike or pay from other money, its still the same cost to do it, you still need to buy the bits for your bike, its just from profit which you would otherwise spend on other stuff, there is no money to be made unless you're treating as a business, most of us do it for pleasure accepting the fact that we are most likely to lose money, it would be cheaper to buy one already done in reality.
Personally I just love messing around with 2strokes and that's why I have them.

+1 for that, also the more time in the garage the less time in the pub, have saved a fortune!  :D
Yamaha 1974 RD125 (AS3) nearly finished!
Kawasaki 1977 z650 B1 being ridden
Yamaha 1972/3 U.S. early RD350 in bits

Online kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 11:43:05 PM »
I agree. Not selling my LC ever but all she's cost me is my own time, not money. Just looked at her receipt file and working out what I bought and what I sold I'm down £40. Not too bad for what I have at the moment. And I still have a lot of parts awaiting restoration...

and the pub? Sod that. Last time I was in one they wanted a fiver for a pint of Fosters!  :D

Online kawazonkey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 12:06:05 AM »
Thanks Tony. It's all too easy to do an open cheque book build, and to be honest if I could afford it I would! So I'm trying to build the LC for next to nothing and it will take a long time but I enjoy what I do. Getting a manky old part and restoring it to as new gives me great satisfaction.

And if I want a drink I'll have one at home!

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »
As a few of you know. i have a barn-full of shitty shit.Those parts have been built up by buying/selling and swapping parts with others .Am now in the position, that i have enough stuff to build probably another six complete rd's :o i have come to realize over the last few years, that sadly project bikes are worth more in spares than as a whole.The project/barn finds you now see on evilbay tend to be the result of someone restoring a bike then chucking all their spare parts back on the doner frame and selling on.This leads to most people searching for the 20% or rare and unobtainable bits that are held onto because they know they will not get again. Restoring bikes is a hobby and should be treated as such it is only in the last few years that the collector investors are pushing  out the real enthusiasts and driving prices up this will continue until it is an elite collectors club (something i have been saying for years)To be realistic. If you smoke 20 fags a day, you will spend £3500 plus a year killing yourself slowly! Go down the pub regularly and drink away thousands. Play golf at one of the exclusive clubs around here and it costs you £5000 a year before you swing a club :o none of those hobbies return anything on the investment :o :o if you buy an rd and ride it around for a couple of years, keep it in good nick, it will return you your investment.What more can you as ::) ::)
Rd 350 special can we get more than 70bnp?
Silver-dust 350b now with new owner
Barnfull of shitty shit
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
 R1Z 250

Offline CBM

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »
Just as Stukey has replied and I've posted in a previously thread most hobbies out there cost you an arm & a leg and so can this if you let it. Without doubt building/restoring any motorcycle yourself for which you need to buy the majority of the parts for as you go is not going to return anything like what it owes you in hard earned cash, not in the short term at least, but the satisfaction factor is huge. In this instance the building part is as much the hobby as riding is. Having said that riding a fully restored bike after spending/"investing" all that cash is something some folks are rather reluctant to do which I totally understand but for me defeats the object tbh.
On the other hand if you start off with the right bike and don't mind some regular fettling buying one ready to ride can not only limit the majority of your outlay but it also gets you out riding a lot sooner.  If after after lots of lovely warm & sunny summers (wishful thinking I know  ;)) you fancy a change and end up somewhere near to getting your money back then that's an absolute result in my book. Whichever you decide, have fun  ;)

Offline Binettasteve

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »
Lot of common sense in the last two posts👍
RD200DX, Kr1sC2,&C3, kH250,F650GS& van van 125 and Piaggio 125 for errands.

Offline cooleronthecoast

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »
As far as ebay is concerned, I think the phrases 'Barn find' and 'restoration project' seem to accompany many of the tatty examples presented for sale at crazy prices. They seem to be hidden code for "Its actually a heap of shite, but I still want a fortune for it."

I think the moral of the tale is if you have a bike you ride and enjoy and you can afford to do so......Keep it!   If you are looking to buy something from the 70's or 80's its certainly harder to find anything decent but if you aren't in a hurry there are still good bikes you can find if you try.
I've always had at least one road bike around the place since my first RD200B in 1975.  I'm now RDless,  at least for the time being, currently residing in the garage, an Aprilia Tuono V4 and a 1979 Honda CB550

Offline Ozhammer

• Ozhammer
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
IMO, the only way to get a fair deal on a bike these days is to post a wanted thread on forums like this and hope someone has what you are looking for. In most instances you will get a better deal than out there in ‘barn find land’. My two latest projects both came from fellow forum members and the prices were better than I would have been likely to have paid on somewhere like EBay.

I guess the economics are a little different downunder but I have found that I can still restore a bike for less than it would cost to buy a mint example, so I shouldn’t lose any money if I sell (yeah like that’s ever going to happen!)  :)

As others have said the restoration process should be part of the enjoyment, with the end result being you know that your bike has been rebuilt how you want it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:02:10 PM by Mark Leadbeatter »
2 strokes are all I need!

'74 S3
'75 CB400-4
'78 RD250E
'78 RD400E
'79 RD400F
'79 RD400G
'81 GT250EX X7
'81 RD350LC
‘83 KE175D3
'86 RD350F2

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 02:21:31 PM »
The problem wth things as they are is that everyone has gotten caught up in this matching numbers uk. Bike thing driven by the investor collectors if you are willing to compromise you can pick up a nice bike at a reasonable price
Rd 350 special can we get more than 70bnp?
Silver-dust 350b now with new owner
Barnfull of shitty shit
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
 R1Z 250