Author Topic: How to buy tips  (Read 397 times)

Offline cooleronthecoast

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: How to buy tips
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »
As far as ebay is concerned, I think the phrases 'Barn find' and 'restoration project' seem to accompany many of the tatty examples presented for sale at crazy prices. They seem to be hidden code for "Its actually a heap of shite, but I still want a fortune for it."

I think the moral of the tale is if you have a bike you ride and enjoy and you can afford to do so......Keep it!   If you are looking to buy something from the 70's or 80's its certainly harder to find anything decent but if you aren't in a hurry there are still good bikes you can find if you try.
I've always had at least one road bike around the place since my first RD200B in 1975.  I'm now RDless,  at least for the time being, currently 2 bikes residing in the garage, a 1985 Honda VF1000R and an Aprilia Caponord 1200 TP circa 2015.

Offline Mark Leadbeatter

• Ozhammer
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 01:00:27 PM »
IMO, the only way to get a fair deal on a bike these days is to post a wanted thread on forums like this and hope someone has what you are looking for. In most instances you will get a better deal than out there in ‘barn find land’. My two latest projects both came from fellow forum members and the prices were better than I would have been likely to have paid on somewhere like EBay.

I guess the economics are a little different downunder but I have found that I can still restore a bike for less than it would cost to buy a mint example, so I shouldn’t lose any money if I sell (yeah like that’s ever going to happen!)  :)

As others have said the restoration process should be part of the enjoyment, with the end result being you know that your bike has been rebuilt how you want it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:02:10 PM by Mark Leadbeatter »
2 strokes are all I need!

'74 S3
'75 CB400-4
'78 RD250E
'78 RD400E
'79 RD400F
'79 RD400G
'81 GT250EX X7
'81 RD350LC
'86 RD350F2

Online stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 02:21:31 PM »
The problem wth things as they are is that everyone has gotten caught up in this matching numbers uk. Bike thing driven by the investor collectors if you are willing to compromise you can pick up a nice bike at a reasonable price
Rd 350 special
Silver-dust 350b now finished by sfbrain and truely lovely
Barnfull of shitty shit
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
Now have an R1Z 250

Offline davecumbria

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 05:28:49 PM »
I restore bikes because a) I enjoy it  b) didn't have any other hobbies c) therapeutic in dealing with stress

(That was a few years ago)

Its a pleasure to bring something back from the brink with your own skills and have something tangible at the end of your labours (and shelling out)

Finding good stuff is a lot harder now than it used to be, and there are hoarders who  are holding on in the hope of prices going higher. I know of NOS exhausts in store which are unobtainable no matter what sensible offer you make

When I restored my 250F in 2009 it cost about £3500 to do (including the bike but not counting labour) at the time someone wanted to buy it off me and I said £3500 and was told "good luck with that"

So who made the mistake, the restorer or the guy who walked away?

Some of us do it for pleasure, and yes a bit of luck helps, but I would also say through my hobby I've met some great people, some who I would say are my closest friends

So thankyou to all!  ;D ;D

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

Online stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 05:40:54 PM »
You can still pick up a  250/350 which is reasonably complete from one of the importers for less than £2000 and C/D 250 models in europe. Not minters but still ride the same. My advice is if you are going to restore any bike .Start with the most sought after complete bike,they all cost the same to restore, but the end value is vastly different.
Rd 350 special
Barnfull of shitty shit
Now have an R1Z 250

Offline chrisg.007

• Forum member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
I have to agree with a lot of whats said, but I don't think its eBay's fault. Its about market forces, supply and demand. If its too expensive, walk away.

Having said all that , Imagine - NO EBAY  :o

If you want a bottom widget sprog bolt (left hand) and there is one on the other side of the country, how are you going to find out without ebay,thats assuming the guy want to sell. Life would be a lot harder without it. ;)
Growing old is compulsery, growing up is optional.

RD400D
RD250E  350 conversion
Suzuki X7
RD400E

Offline ItsBrokenAgain

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 06:13:28 PM »
I think that something that should not be underestimated is that whilst i have lost a fortune doing up a few bikes i have met some brilliant like minded people and learnt stuff from real enthusiasts that was priceless
An hour spent with Rob down at Skellerns made my week , the support from members on here has been briliant ,
A sight better than spending thousands playing golf !

Online stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 08:07:53 PM »
The collector investors will move on when there is no profit in them.The true enthusiasts will hopefully prevail if they are not squeezed out  :) :)
Rd 350 special
Barnfull of shitty shit
Now have an R1Z 250

Offline Sfbrain

• Sfbrain
  • Club Member
  • Port Hacker
  • sfbrain
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 08:16:31 PM »
Similar to some of you on here, for me restoring bikes is a hobby  8)

There are very few hobbies that dont cost something, Golf, Motorsport etc can cost a fortune, other hobbies less costly but few are cost free.

So i dont have a problem if my restoration hobby costs me something.

My wife loves it too, she generally knows where i am, at the bottom of the garden in my 'Wendy House', and not in the pub  ;D ;D ;D

I also find it very theraputic with a great sense of acheivement when a bike is completed, additionallyi have met some great friends through forums/clubs like this one.

Most of my restorations usually work out costing me roughly what they are worth when they are finnished, so its not done to make money.

Having said that, after a few years there is generally a little profit if i have been LUCKY enough to restore a bike that goes up in value. For example, my FS1E cost £1000 to buy and i spent £1500 restoring it, now it worth around £5000, so a tidy profit there, on the otherhand my XS750 only cost my £250, it will cost me around £2000 to restore and will never be worth £2500  ::)

If you need to make money, then it is all about what you pay for the project bike, and how original you want to make it. The more original you want, the more it will cost  :P

Restoring is a great hobby, which 70% of the time you will spend more than the finnished project is worth.

But then all hobbies cost something and bring many other benefits  :)

;)
RD250E (Running)
DT175C (Almost !!)
FS1E '74 (Running)
XS750E (Waiting)
GSXR750F (on bench)
CB750K2 '74 (waiting)
CBR900RRN '92 (Running)
GS1000S '80 (waiting)
TRIUMPH TINA '63 (restored)
Honda P50 '68 (Running)
RD350B (Running)
TDR250 (waiting)
Club Member 1556

Online stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »
Or find someone with a shitty shed full of spares and do a deal that works out well for both parties :) :)
Rd 350 special
Barnfull of shitty shit
Now have an R1Z 250