Author Topic: Wheres the bikes gone?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Captain Scarlet

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Wheres the bikes gone?
« on: December 31, 2017, 04:50:55 PM »
Went over to Burnham on Crouch yesterday to the café on the quay and came home via stambridge for a coffee at the Shepherd & Dog.It was a round trip of 55 miles in fine mild (10 degrees)weather and previous days rain had washed away any salt.On the Burnham Bends I hardly saw any bikes and although the café was open there was a couple of bikes and a scooter outside and at the pub there was one Norton.
When we got home the wife gave the bikes a spruce up with Meguirs detailer while I checked the bikes over and found a couple of bolts that had been lost from the C70 crankcase covers (nothing major and replace and 222 loctite next time).
 My bikes are not fine show quality but they give me a lot of pleasure because the riding and maintaining of these classics far outways any loss of financial value through wear and tear.
I cannot be alone in this and would like to encourage any member to take every opportunity to get out to their local meets.
I look forward as much if not more than most to the better weather months,but the thought of no riding till then makes the stresses and strains of all my busy working days a bit pointless.
Have a Happy New Year members and I hope the smell of burnt 2 stroke isn't just for foreign holidays or summer. ;)

Offline Binettasteve

• Forum member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
Re: Wheres the bikes gone?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 06:47:09 PM »
Been out riding the last two days now that the rain has washed the salt away
Sat using my 2009 bike
Today 2010 bike

Why no classics , simply because everyone has become fixated on appearance and the 1970’s 80’s tinwork is so hard to find. I cant imagine the conversation with a fellow enthusiast  saying its a great bike 40 years old , run through the winter!

So the classics are resting until late March when things fine up.
RD200DX, Kr1sC2,&C3, kH250,F650GS& van van 125 and Piaggio 125 for errands.

Offline CaptainSensible

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:32:02 PM »
Hello captain couldn't agree more, spent a fair bit of time today washing the crap of the 400 and the doing some overdue maintenance because of the last few rides in the past few weeks. Look forward to catching up soon for a ride, captain

Offline stukey

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »
in the olden days when we used bikes as our only form of transport.We rode them in all weathers.These days they tend to be weekend toys. I ride my r6 shed all year round but my renovated 350b tends to be used on sunny days and rallys
Rd 350 special can we get more than 70bnp?
Silver-dust 350b now with new owner
Barnfull of shitty shit
and not forgetting the r6 streefighter
 R1Z 250

Offline Phil S

• Club Member
  • Port Hacker
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 11:47:09 AM »
in the olden days when we used bikes as our only form of transport.We rode them in all weathers.These days they tend to be weekend toys. I ride my r6 shed all year round but my renovated 350b tends to be used on sunny days and rallys

In the olden days we were young it was our only form of transport, now we are older many of us hibernate for the winter 😀
RD250C 1976

Offline Alvin Sparklug

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »
I think the value puts people off riding them like we used to and that is a shame.
Happy new year all.

lol, yes, i remember bashing the nearside can on my RD400D, so i saved up for a couple of weeks and popped in to the local bike shop and got a new one,think it was about £40 and i was a 3rd-4th year apprentice, the old one got scrapped. :'(
GT250B +RD400

Offline Aardvark

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »
We (me and the wife) went out new years eve to devils bridge.
I took the RD400 out as we had a lot of rain the night before so hopefully the salt had gone. Wife took her 600 out.
It was good to get out on a bike again, but a big smile on both our faces.

Then gave them a good wash after getting home.

Aardvark

Offline wolfheze

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
I think the value puts people off riding them like we used to and that is a shame.
Happy new year all.

lol, yes, i remember bashing the nearside can on my RD400D, so i saved up for a couple of weeks and popped in to the local bike shop and got a new one,think it was about £40 and i was a 3rd-4th year apprentice, the old one got scrapped. :'(
In the space of a year I had 3 crashes and 3 new silencers fitted to my 250f. They only had relatively minor scrapes and I'm guessing they would be worth more now than the new ones cost back then.

Offline SupeRDel

• Moderators
  • Port Hacker
  • Club Magazine photographer, writer and editor.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:15:27 AM »
Normally like to have a cobweb spin over xmas period when you get that one dry day and I did with the MT01

I get no pleasure now getting cold  and am not afraid to admit I now like warm dry weather
 --  Articles always needed

Offline ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
Normally like to have a cobweb spin over xmas period when you get that one dry day and I did with the MT01

I get no pleasure now getting cold  and am not afraid to admit I now like warm dry weather
Back in the 70's I used the ride in all weathers with nothing more than a pair of jeans a coat (anything I had but certainly no leathers) and any old pair of shoes.  If  went out in the Winter early hours in the morning to go fishing then I had some gauntlets which were useless in the cold. Up until  last year I cycled to work and to my girlfriends in all weathers, did that for 22 years!!!   Now I have had enough, I only go out on the bikes, cycle and  motorbikes, for pleasure, I don't NEED to freeze to death anymore and anyway, I retire this year so I should have more time to get out in the warm
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline ozmadman

• Ozmadman
  • Admin Group
  • Port Hacker
  • Membership Secretary
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »
I can't believe it but I have become a sunshine biker, I always used to take the p*ss out of sunshine bikers and now I am one of them.
:D :D so did I! now I have succumbed to posing rides on bikes (both types) that are clean and polished up, wouldn't be seen dead riding a wreck these days
"Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" Aristotle

Bikes..
 1974 Yamaha RD250B US import
 1960 Model 8 AJS 350cc.

Offline Alvin Sparklug

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 07:26:09 PM »

In the space of a year I had 3 crashes and 3 new silencers fitted to my 250f. They only had relatively minor scrapes and I'm guessing they would be worth more now than the new ones cost back then.
yes definately, my one was just scratches and a wee ding but new one purchased. prices are sky high for good condition cans now.  :(
GT250B +RD400

Offline Alvin Sparklug

• Club Member
  • Back Lane Scratcher
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 07:31:49 PM »
If  went out in the Winter early hours in the morning to go fishing then I had some gauntlets which were useless in the cold. Up until  last year I cycled to work and to my girlfriends in all weathers, did that for 22 years!!!   Now I have had enough,
so have you told her then. :P :P
GT250B +RD400